Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cathrine
Devoted April 2018 Ontario

Late Night Food Service (vegan Twist)

Cathrine, on January 24, 2018 at 15:49 Posted in Wedding reception 0 18

Hey all,

We want to do a late night food service but our first try at selections (spring rolls and Samosas) didn't work out as they turned out to just be vegetarian, not vegan and they can't alter them apparently to be vegan. The venue will let us bring our own in, but charge us a $1.50 per person handling fee per item. That on top of purchasing the food is a bit expensive.

I'm trying to think of other options i can suggest to the venue. We want to serve something warm to keep our dancing guests energy up.

Are you doing late night food service? What are you doing, doesn't have to be vegan, just looking for inspiration here right now.

18 Comments

Latest activity by Parathan, on March 1, 2018 at 16:25
  • Cathrine
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They do have apps but we are trying not to repeat what we served during cocktail hour and we want something a little more substantial. Still waiting to hear back from my venue about my questions regarding french fries or waffles. We will also get to talk to the chef i think next week when we go in for our food tasting appointment.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our late night snack is going to be poutine. The options we had were crepes or poutine. I can't eat crepes, and fiance loves poutine so it was an easy choice for us.

Does your venue have appetizers at all? Maybe they would be willing to serve those late. Some venues are strict on their timing (ours, for example, won't let us bring out the poutine before 10pm and don't serve apps that late) but my friend was able to get apps made for the late night snack.

• Cathrine
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah, yes, that's a bit in the future... Good luck.

• Jackie
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It will be sometime before we go over that as I’m not getting married under April 2019 but if I think about it, I’ll try and let you know what they come up with. Thanks again.
  • Cathrine
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Any time. I’d be interest in knowing what they came up with.
  • Jackie
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow that’s great Catherine. Thanks so much for the feed back. I to hope they to can make some arrangements for her. We will discuss it. Thanks again.
  • Cathrine
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They probably have suggestions for the vegan guest that they can offer but here is my Vegan perspective:

Salads/Cheese:

Fruit plate is always the first place i go to at functions.

Pastries:

Bagels are probably your best bet for a vegan option. Just have them check as some brands and some kinds aren't vegan. There are vegan/dairy free cream cheeses (Tofutti and Daiya brands are good ones) See if you are allowed to bring in one container yourself if they don't have them.

Breakfast Station:

Double check what they are cooking the fries/home fries in. As long as it's not lard or other animal products they should be good since home fries are usually just cut up potatoes. Some packaged french fries have animal products in the though so do double check with them

There are vegan sausage links etc. that you can get if you wanted to go that route.

Sweet Station:

Pancakes are awesome and easily made vegan. This is my favourite recipe for them.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/191885/vegan-pancakes/

I hope they are able to accommodate step daughter. Best of Luck.

• Jackie
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Well we can choose two items under Salads / Cheese:
    Fresh Fruit Salad and cheese platter with crackers

then under Pastries we can choose three:
    butter croissants
    bagels and cream cheese
    and either cinnamon rolls/frosted or assorted desserts squares

then under Breakfast Station: includes
    homefries or hash browns
    bacon, ham or breakfast sausage ( select two)
    scrambled eggs

sweet station select one:
    so I pick pancakes and see if we can add another like crepes or waffles or French toast. Such we can only choose one.

Then under beverages:
    orange, grapefruit
    coffee and tea
    for an extra $5 a per we can have mimosa
    not sure if we will do that or not.
  • Cathrine
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What are you serving everyone else? I can give you suggestions based on that. I'm a huge breakfast fan and i've customized a lot of breakfast classics.

• Jackie
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing our wedding in the morning. So we are having breakfast 🥞 🍳 but we do have one vegan amung us. So I’m not sure what she can eat. I’ll have to speak with her. Want her to feel included as she is going to be my step daughter.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had sliders as our late night snack. You could have them made with vegan patties I'm sure. You could also do a warm pasta salad or something similar.

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Fingers crossed, let us know what they say!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had late night buffet as part of the service. The 3 options we chose were veg platter, fruit platter and sandwiches assorted.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not exactly vegan but we are doing: taco bar and martini mash potato bar for ourselves.

Our venue suggested platters of fruits/veggies with dip (yogurt/ranch), candy bar, ice cream bar or popcorn bar.

For Spring Rolls I'm sure they can find a vegan supplier, because the meat in spring rolls is ground pork. There some spring rolls I've seen have substituted the ground pork for cabbage.

• Cathrine
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not sure what about their spring rolls aren't vegan, i'm assuming the wrapper. They are looking to see if they can find a vegan supplier of them though as Spring rolls are kind of a thing with my fiancé and i.

I love the waffles idea. I will ask about that and the quesadillas and fries.

These are all great ideas. Hopefully they are able to do something. We do have a popcorn and cotton candy machine coming in for late night service but we didn't feel that was substantial enough.

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What about the spring rolls and samosas can they not make vegan (so I don't suggest something that they also can't make for the same reason!)? Spring rolls would have been my first suggestion... Can they get vegan cheese and do grilled cheese dippers and tomato soup, or quesadillas with vegan cheese? How about tempura veggies? A mashed potato bar? Polenta fries? Waffles (with soy or almond milk and no eggs of course) with different fruits and toppings?

• Meghan
    Frequent user August 2018 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were thinking about doing different chips and dip but we decided to go with pizza because we felt it would be easier for people to eat.
    Some other popular options here are Fries and gravy, popcorn, nachos bar or a late night dessert table!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics