Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Chanelle
Frequent user September 2019 British Columbia

Late Night Food: is it necessary?

Chanelle, on February 7, 2018 at 23:47

Posted in Wedding reception 43

If we plan on serving dinner around 6:30/7, and the venue shuts down at midnight, is the extra food necessary? Part of me is thinking this is just one more expense I can cut back on but I’d love to hear other opinions. Of all the weddings I have been to I haven’t had any of the late night snacks...

If we plan on serving dinner around 6:30/7, and the venue shuts down at midnight, is the extra food necessary? Part of me is thinking this is just one more expense I can cut back on but I’d love to hear other opinions.

Of all the weddings I have been to I haven’t had any of the late night snacks because I either a) didn’t know they were there or b) was having so much fun I didn’t want to leave the dance floor or c) wasn’t hungry because dinner/cake was really good.

Brides: are you having late night snacks? Why or why not?

Everyone who’s been to a wedding with late night snacks: was it necessary? Did you remember it?

43 Comments

• Chanelle
    Frequent user September 2019 British Columbia
    Chanelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are not having an open bar (too expensive for us). Instead we are pre buying x bottles of wine (a very generous amount for the number of guests attending), and during dinner those will be poured until they’re gone. After that, guests can purchase their own drinks.

We are at a venue so I don’t THINK we can bring in outside food anyway - although I’ll look into this.
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's needed for an open bar. You need to have the food available when drinks are served all night. Our dinner is being served at 6:30, with just enough food so people have had a good meal, but are not over stuffed so they can't dance. It will be approx 3.5 to 4 hours until our late-night buffet comes out, and that is a lot of time to have people drinking with no food available. We have pizza, Poutine, cookies, fruit, cake and a gelato bar. Most of our late-night buffet is included in our package, we added on the gelato bar, but I would have paid for a late-night buffet even if it hadn't been included.
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had it because it was built into our package offered by the venue. I don't think it's super necessary, but I know people are always excited when extra food comes out!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We served dinner at 6 and things didn't shut down until after midnight and with an open bar we thought it was a good idea to have a late night snack. We also got it for ourselves as we had heard tons of stories of the bride and groom not getting enough to eat at dinner.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Late night snacks not needed if your venue shuts down midnight. The reason you don't see the snacks at weddings is because the couple probably chose not to pay for it.

I had that option part of the cost covered and was so good.
  • Jamie
    Frequent user September 2018 Alberta
    Jamie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had this same dilemma to decide on. We opted not to serve a late snack and our venue also shuts down at midnight!

Our buffet supper will be served at 630, and cupcakes and and ice cream sundae bar around 8. We feel this is more than sufficient for food for our guests, even with them drinking! We couldn't make the late night snack work with our budget!
  • Meghan
    Frequent user August 2018 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t think it’s necessary, especially if your venue shuts down at 12.
    We are going to have pizza at around 1130 but our venue will likely be going until 3am.
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes I believe you should have. Especially if you are having an open bar. If guests have been drinking all night , the late night snacks are essential.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Im doing one as we’re having dinner at 6, and we’ll be dancing. I’m having a poutine bar, as it’s a really Canadian thing and my family in England will find it cool
  • Tradingabyss
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Tradingabyss ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ive been to weddings where I’ve been drunk and starving by the time the wedding is over but that’s 2 am. Generally that means your guests haven’t eaten for 8 hours. I think if you’re wedding is ending at 12 I wouldn’t worry about a midnight snack or maybe just a very small one if you’re able to bring something into the venue.
  • Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing a late night snack because it’s included with our venue (golf course). Otherwise, I think we would personally still do it because we’ve both really enjoyed it at every wedding we’ve been to. Some that we’ve seen lately are late night poutine bar, pizza, and waffle stations. (Poutine bars were a huge hit)!

I also don’t think it’s totally necessary. If it’s not something you want to do, and it’s something you want to save money on, leave it out!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics