Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kate
Featured August 2022 Ontario

Last name change or no?

Kate, on October 4, 2023 at 10:44 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 16

Hello community,

Just curious to hear everyone's thoughts on taking your partners last name when officially married. Are you keeping your last name? or changing to theirs? are you marrying the two last names together and hyphenating? and what were your reasons for your decision? The more I speak to people I am seeing that the changing of the last name is common in western culture but not as much in other parts of the world.

I always saw myself as being traditional and changing but I now feel different and have decided to keep my name as is. Perhaps if my partner and I shared children, I'd be more app to change or hyphenate as it would be important to me that we all share that. What are your thoughts?

I found this article below interesting!

https://www.insideweddings.com/news/planning-design/9-reasons-not-to-change-your-name-after-marriage/44608/

Last name change or no? 1

16 Comments

Latest activity by Nelly, on April 13, 2024 at 09:37
  • N
    Featured July 2025 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes I will be taking my wife’s last name
  • M
    Newbie June 2025 Ontario
    Mariela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I always wanted to take the last name of who I would marry but never realized all the paperwork that came with it. So I never took his last name but I so sign christmas cards birthday cards with his last name.

As Latin Americans it also hard he has two last names I have two last names which one would I even take?

• Laura
    Beginner July 2024 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be changing mine! Gone will be the days of me having to spell my surname out!

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Tell me about it! And that's cute, good for you Smiley heart

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nice! What made you guys go with yours and not hers? do you think whatever the actual last name is has to do with it?

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good for you! So he kept his name and you hyphenated? Just curious and you do not have to answer but if you had children, would you want them to hyphenate or no? I think it's so cool people are much more open to doing different things with names now

• Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have never changed my name legally, for the First or Second Marriage. I have assumed my hubby's last name. The paperwork alone is not worth it IMO.

• Matilda
    Frequent user June 2025 Ontario
    Matilda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Natalie will be changing her last name to mine. She already uses my last name professionally.
  • Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was torn up until our wedding day.

I really love my last name, I don't know why but I am very attached to it. But I also wanted to share the same last name as my husband.

Husband was a bit reluctant for me to hyphenate my last name, worried about it being a mouthful lol.

In the end, i decided to have both and I absolutely love it.

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Cool mix you guys have going on : )

and yes the paperwork! lol : | So interesting about Greece, I did not know that.

• Mila
    Frequent user October 2023 Ontario
    Mila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keeping my original last name. Like you said, it’s not common in most cultures. I’m half south Asian, half Central American and partner is South American. It is very uncommon for women to change their last names in our cultures. I did ask FI if he cared since it is common in Canada, he took one glance at the paperwork and said absolutely not worth it haha. So, going the traditional route and not changing it.

A friend of his who is Greek just told us that apparently in Greece you are not permitted to change your last name which was unheard of to me. I always assumed it was a choice and preference change it or not.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh absolutely, there was no doubt in my mind

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nice! Did you feel from the beginning that you wanted to take his last name?

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is such a great point, it really is a lot of your partners family history. Happy you were able to stick to what felt good for you and your husband was supportive of that!

I also have girlfriends who are engaged/who have tied the knot in their 30s who were more open to keeping their last name.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I changed my last name

• Jackie
    Devoted September 2023 Alberta
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Kate! I find this topic interesting, it has changed a lot over the years. When I was younger I always thought I would take my husbands name, but now that I am older, it feels strange. It isn't my husbands name really, it is his dads, and his dads dads, and so on. It represents their family history. I have my own identity and family history that I don't want just being erased. Myself and my brothers are also the only ones who can pass our family name on, and that is important to my dad, so I would like to do that if I can (my brothers may not end up with kids).

So, long story short, I will be hyphenating (the lazy way, as things expire and need to be renewed), because I am expanding my family, and any future kids will have the same last name as me. As you said above, I want to share a name with kids we may have, and my husband is happy with that too.

One thing I have noticed from friends and find interesting is the ones who married younger, high school sweethearts, early 20's type deal, all changed their names, but those that married later on have either kept their own or hyphenated, so it seems like this is a very recently growing trend.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics