Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelly
Expert September 2019 Manitoba

Lash Extensions experience

Kelly, on October 22, 2019 at 16:41 Posted in Beauty 0 22

I'm sure there's lots of curious bides out there on this topic, so I thought I'd share my experience and maybe answer some questions for those wanting to try it, but maybe unsure.

I wanted to give lash extensions a go for the wedding, and then have them for our honeymoon afterwards (less makeup application time). It was recommended to me by the lash technician to get the extensions a month before the wedding, and then do a fill right before. I would say the application process is pretty long (2 hours), and that it doesn't hurt, but it can be a bit uncomfortable.

Getting used to the extensions took me a few days. In the shower, the water makes them super heavy, and the way you wash your face, or apply your makeup requires some adjustments.

The first thing you need to know that I'm a fair skinned redhead, and I have naturally blonde lashes. And the other thing you need to know is that lash extensions fall out way faster than you think they will! They looked great for about 7 days, and then my natural lashes began to grow in, and because you can't wear mascara, the more they fell out, and the more blonde lashes grew in, the less dramatic my lashes looked, which kinda defeats the point of them. I decided to cancel the fill appointment and get them removed instead. By the time the appointment came, I barely had any extensions left (and I BABIED them!).

I feel like this is a product that greatly benefits those with naturally dark lashes who can keep the extension look going for much longer. Based on my experience, I would actually suggest trying the extensions earlier than a month before the wedding. This way, if you decide you don't like them, it gives your natural lashes time to fill back in. Lash technicians will say that they don't harm your natural lashes, but I definitely noticed that my lashes were much shorter, and sparse after the extensions came off.

This was just my experience with them. I know lots of people love having them, and that's great. I wanted to love them too, but I didn't feel like this was worth my time and money to keep up. $100/application is a LOT of money to pay every 2 weeks, which is the rate I'd need to get them filled at for them to stay looking good. It was fun to try, but I know now that this isn't the route for me.

22 Comments

Latest activity by Krista, on June 13, 2022 at 00:46
  • Krista
    Curious June 2022 Alberta
    Krista ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is June 18 (5 days!) and I am getting lashes done on the 15th. I sure hope I don’t have a bad experience! I have never had them done before. I already had an awful experience with a spray tan (thank god I gave it a trial), I turned completely orange. I had to exfoliate 2x a day for a week to get it all off.
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is SUCH an important point that most people don’t consider! everybody’s skin is different- including our eyelids! I am super fair and redheaded, and my eyebrows and lashes are so blonde that they’re basically invisible. I’ve had lash extensions on two separate occasion and i LOVE them every time. the only reason I no longer have them in because they are not cheap! but i am planning to get a new set in February before my bachelorette, and then upkeep them until at least the wedding. My sets would last 3-4 weeks, easily! I would say if you’re someone with oily skin, the lashes may not last as long since the oil on your skin will breakdown the glue, but definitely don’t avoid them just because you’re fair/blonde!
  • Kristi
    Curious June 2020 Quebec
    Kristi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi,

I'm a lash technician / esthetician.

What I would recommend you to do in your case is a lash tint (20min treatment) since you did not like the lash extensions. Also if your lashes are fair like you said you can pick a color that is blue-black (which is darker then black) and if your eyes are light they will popSmiley kiss . On the day of your wedding, you can get your makeup artist to put strip false lashes on with the strip glue and your regular lashes will blend in.

hope that helps

Good luck

• Kelly
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh, yes! great point about oily lids! Oil is the enemy to the last adhesive!

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had mine done about 2 years ago way before I even knew I was getting married, and they fell out SO FAST for me.. I got them done on a thursday, I flew to montreal 2 days later (saturday) and by sunday they already were patchy. If your eyelids get oily at all, they wont last long. I was so disappointed because I was seeing my bf (now hubby) for christmas and meeting his family for the first time and I looked stupid HAHA so ya, oily eyelids = bad experience with lashes.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh maybe! that’s a good point!
  • Kelly
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep I had the cleaner and the brush and everything. I'm not saying mine were falling out faster than anybody else's would. Its just that the shedding was probably more noticeable on me having lighter natural lashes.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah i have been too! not sure if i want them. but maybe ill get them at my trial. thanks so much!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I used to have lash extensions... I miss them but jeez - expensive!!

I don't like the look of fake eye lashes on me, they look like fake lashes and I just look weird haha.

I'm going to go back to my extensions for the wedding/honeymoon. I think it's worth it for me. I didn't have any issues with my lashes falling out!! Did they give you the lash extension brush and cleanser? That really helped me keep my lashes in tact.

I've tried the tint and lift for my lashes but for $75 or whatever I paid, my lashes looked like my normal lashes so I don't see the point in that for me.

Regardless, I'm pretty pumped about getting my extensions back Smiley laugh

• Karine
    Curious October 2019 Quebec
    Karine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I hesitated a long time before finally deciding not to get lash extensions! Most bridal MUA include fake eyelashes and honestly the day of your wedding is really the only time you need them ☺️ If you’re not used to falsies, definitely get your trial done with them so that you can see if you like it. If you have a good MUA you really don’t have to worry about your lashes ☺️
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Fair enough! I would probably get them just to see how I like them lol

• Kelly
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think they're a great if you're going on vacation or something! Its kinda awesome to roll out of bed and look amazing lol.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm thinking of getting them sometime but the cost/upkeep is not attractive lol

But I do have dark lashes, so maybe I could pull it off. I did false lashes for the wedding, but I couldn't get them on myself.

• Ginelle
    Beginner July 2021 Ontario
    Ginelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Do you plan on doing lash extensions for the wedding?
  • S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you. I was so unsure. I'm still unsure....lol but something to think about. I had no idea they would ruin your real ones. That's something I don't want to happen.

• Dana
    Newbie May 2022 Quebec
    Dana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you for this ! i was debating on getting extensions or just letting my makeup technically put fake ones! This helps!

• July
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    July ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ahhh ! Okay that makes a lot of sense. Yeah. Maybe the lash lift with tint will work much much better for you. Your completely right. Lash extensions won’t be for everyone at all. Definitely more expensive too compared to the lash lift which I think can last up to 6 weeks if I’m not mistaken.
  • Kelly
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Ashley! I definitely don't want to completely deter people from giving them a shot. If your natural lashes are dark, then they can totally be worth it.

• Kelly
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Jurrene,

Thanks for sharing your lash experience. Like I said, lots of people really love them! I definitely didn't feel like I had the wrong technician, but my experience with the lashes was more that they didn't look very good for more than a week because of my natural blonde lashes growing in. It became a mix of blonde and black, and after a while, it just didn't look good. Yours probably look good for much longer as your natural lashes are dark, so you don't notice the shedding as much, so that's nice. For me, every lash that fell out made the extensions look rattier and sparser with every passing day. For that reason, I didn't find them worth the money as they are very expensive.

I don't think I'll try extensions again, but I might consider a lift and tint in the future.

• July
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    July ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Kelly,

So sorry this is the experience you’ve had with the lash technician you went too.
    I myself have gotten lash extensions done for vacations and special events. I have some in right now in fact. I really love them and take breaks when I feel it’s just not necessary at the time being cause they are costly.

The most important thing is going to a lash tech who is reputable, knowledgeable and follows all safety procedures. Since you have light lashes I’m surprised she never asked if you wanted to tint your lashes first and then come back in for the extensions?
    Also, our lashes actually have a shedding period. So it’s actually normal for lashes to come off, especially the false extensions. So when mine began to shed I knew it was normal and as expected. Your supposed to try not to get your lashes wet for minimum 24 hour after your appointment.
    I find when I do get my lash extensions they last quite long. Sometimes over four weeks. I hope you don’t shut down the idea completely in the future and maybe try elsewhere. I feel it definitely depends where you go and who does it.

Hope this helps you & any other brides out there. Feel free to ask me any questions
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow. thanks SOOO much for this. i was considering getting them but nevermind now... LOL

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh no! I have some friends who have gotten lash extensions for a couple months and they noticed a change in their natural lashes once they stopped doing them.
    I have very light eye lashes and one of my girlfriends suggested a lift and tint. I’ve been getting it done for bigger events or going away so I don’t have to worry about makeup and it is way cheaper!
    You can put mascara on top of it, you don’t have to do anything special. I found it lasts about 3 weeks before it starts fading, but for sure recommend trying it out!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics