Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tori
Top October 2019 Manitoba

Laser Hair Removal

Tori, on June 21, 2018 at 12:36 Posted in Beauty 1 23

So I've heard really good things about laser hair removal and also that it takes a while to be hair free. I was wondering if anybody has tried it or swears by it? Any war stories telling me not to do so? I've got over a year before my wedding and was thinking of starting treatments. Is it worth the price? ($300ish on groupon) Thanks!

23 Comments

Latest activity by Laser, on September 22, 2023 at 03:42
  • Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

THIS POST IS FROM JUNE 2018 - YOU CAN STOP COMMENTING ON IT! lol

• Natasha
    Curious April 2023 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It worked quite well for me, but I didn't do enough sessions to eliminate all the hair entirely. It also works better on darker hair with lighter skin, though the machines have advanced somewhat to work with other combinations. It's worth trying a few sessions and then seeing if you want to continue with it.
  • Yami
    Frequent user October 2022 Ontario
    Yami ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I did laser hair removal in Japan, it was 25 sessions for the whole body. I didn’t see much change to be honest. I think you’re better off waxing or sugaring. I spent $2500 for it and I regret it. 🙈
  • M
    Newbie July 2019 New Hampshire
    Max ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I forgot to say that if you have dark skin, you will feel more pain. But if you can accept this pain, then try those home laser removal, they are compact and can be used in the bathroom. I got less body hair after a few treatments.

• M
    Newbie July 2019 New Hampshire
    Max ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Although the home laser hair removal machine is very efficient, significant hair loss can be achieved after several treatment. But if you compare it to waxing, you will feel less uncomfortable. I feel that it really hurts. But not everyone feels the same about pain, it varies from person to person.

• Angel
    Frequent user June 2019 British Columbia
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I bought my sessions on Groupon as well. I did underarms and full leg. It cost me about $2,000. 6 sessions is only enough if you have very little hair, most salons recommend at least 10-12. I received a free consultation where the salon assessed if I am a good fit for the machine and also we did a few zaps to see if I can bear the pain. I had one session every 8 weeks so it was a full year by the time I finished my treatments. The zaps do hurt, especially in more sensitive area. I am pretty good at tolerating pain and even then, I found it quite painful on my armpits and my ankles. After the treatments, my legs have been pretty good with the exception of my knees (there are a few stubborn ones there) but I still have some fine hair under my armpits. It will probably be better if I did a few more touch up sessions but I've been lazy. It is one of the best decisions of my life and now I can wear shorts or skirts without having to worry about shaving again!

• Meagan
    Frequent user October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Meagan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I started with a full on brazillian, it hurts, I won't sugarcoat it, but it's also a time consuming area as you have to wait 8 weeks between treatments. I have no regrets doing in first! Honestly I'm glad, because in comparison underarms have been a cakewalk! Legs aren't super fun either, and it's really important to be able to protect the area from the sun, so your lady bits are a great place to start!

• Meagan
    Frequent user October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Meagan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been doing laser for 3 years, best money I have ever spent!! I'm currently doing underarms, and have completed other areas, and it is so so so so worth it! It is painful, and there's a chance of burny flakey peely skin sometimes, but it's worth it! Just make sure you go somewhere reputable, price is waaaay less important than quality!

• Ashley
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had my underarms done and it was the best money i ever spent. Lol.

• Sarah
    Frequent user July 2020 Nova Scotia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you have light hair good luck.. my mother decided she was going to do it and after about 11 sessions with no result she gave up because it just wasn't working. But I mean I have dark hair friends who did it and it worked amazing for them! All depends on hair colour, and the tech doing it!
  • B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Following this for Ideas
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been really wanting to do this too! Question if anyone reads this!
    Is there an area of the body that would be better to start with?

I would love to get my bikini area done but I'm also scared of doing it first? Should I start with calves and see how they do before I go to the lady bits?

Thanks!

• Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would strongly recommend it. I found it's very bothersome to shave. So, I had couple of areas of mine done 8 years ago. It took 6 sessions and another couple of visits on the second year for small touch up. That's it. Been hair free for 7 years now.

It depends on the color of your hair and skin tone. I heard that if your are on fair side, you will need more sessions than darker hair ladies. Few tips I would share are, it hurts, so be prepared. But the results are so worth it. Before the treatment buy burn ointment from your pharmacy, Polysporin or other brands. Find the one with antibiotics and pain relieves. After the laser session, ask for cold wet towel to cool down the treatment area for few minutes. Then instead of using the ointment from the laser center, put your own ointment. The pain will be gone in few minutes, thanks to the ointment with pain relieves. Do not expose the treatment area to sun for at least few days.

Good luck.

• Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You are right Marie-Claire, i've just always done my research and read up on reviews so always a positive expirience, the owner of the salon told me machine does matter especially since some salons use older machines and those tend to hurt a lot.

• Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The quality of the machine means very little. It's the competency of the provider that actually matters, as it is possible to severely burn someone with laser even with the best machine.

To give you another example, I could have the very best scalpel in the world, but still do a worse surgery than a trained surgeon with a blunt scalpel.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would definitely visit in-person and check out a few other places to compare it to! It looks like a great deal, but it's better to be safe.

• Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did laser on my full legs and i went with a groupon, you need to do at least 12 sessions for it to work though. I got six sessions with one salon and six with another, at the end of the day they use the exact same machine. The quality of the machine is what counts really.

• Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Only horror stories I know about are people going somewhere where the person using the machines were not fully trained and ended up burning their clients. I would definitely do my research on the company and read reviews from past clients.

Definitely something I have considered doing as well...I try to wax as much as possible, it's cheaper, eventually has the same results yet can be more painful - but the results are worth it.

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was thinking I would eventually want to get my entire body done - but for now just the legs and arms perhaps? But yes, the amount would be for 6 sessions. I've attached one of the groupons below and it does show that the six laser hair removal treatments for a large area would "normally" be $2,160 but - groupon. I will for sure be calling to make an appointment before buying though!

Laser Hair Removal 1

• Rachael
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with this; my sister researched clinics for months (maybe years as I don't know when she first considered getting laser hair removal) before getting it done. $300 sounds incredibly low, even if you're getting a small area done, especially when you consider it has to be done in several sessions over the span of months.

• Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been considering it for a while, so I've read a bit about laser hair removal.

What body part do you want to get done? Is the price $300 per session or overall? For the whole treatment, it would be incredibly cheap, so I would advise a lot of caution as to whether the clinic is safe.

You need to check the provider's experience and credentials, as not everyone advertising is actually competent.

Also, know that laser hair removal works best on dark hair and pale skin.

• Rachael
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm interested too! My sister had her armpits and upper lip done and is happy with it, but it cost her around $1,000. One of my close friends is in the midst of the process and it cost her around the same price for her armpits and bikini area, but it sounds worth it!

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm also definitely interested in trying this! So looking forward to hearing others experiences!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics