Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner August 2018 Alberta

Kids at Weddings!

Kayley, on September 20, 2017 at 22:10 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 5

Hi brides! I'm struggling with a dilemma - I would like to have my nieces and nephews (aged 2-4) as my ring bearer and flower girls. However, a lot of our friends and families have young children and we prefer to have no children at the wedding. Is there a way to have the 3 of them involved in the ceremony but no other kids at the wedding at all without offending??

The other layer to this is is that one of my nieces has a younger sibling (too young to be involved) and their family is travelling from another city. So I'd essentially be asking them to bring her for the ten minutes of the ceremony and then to find a babysitter... which feels kind of strange.

Thoughts??

5 Comments

Latest activity by Ap2017, on September 21, 2017 at 11:24
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agree, most people like the chance to get out and have a grown up evening to themselves. Especially when they get to go to dinner and dance with friends and family!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are only having our nephews and niece at our wedding. Most of friends understood and took it as an opportunity for some couple time.

• Becca
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Becca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Let me share my thoughts on kids at my wedding...lol

In our wedding for the longest time we were NOT going to have children invited. The kids who are part of the ceremony (ring bearer, flower girls) were invited to the ceremony only and after that we asked their parents (who are both BMs) to send them home. One BMs mother was going to come and pick up the flower girl and ring bearer after the ceremony and babysit them for the night.

We did decide a couple of weeks ago that we were going to have children at the reception - but only the children who were in the ceremony. Which means that no guests kids were allowed. If anyone complains were just telling them that only kids who are in the wedding are invited.

People can get touchy when it comes to their kids, but at the end of the day my wedding won't be child friendly. It'll have shots, drunk friends, dancing, super loud music and every other thing that people probably don't want their kids around. lol

To me, both options are totally reasonable! and remember you get to do what ever you want lol try not to worry about who you may offend, they'll get over it.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are going kids free, but we're not having any in our ceremony, either. My sister had a ring bearer and flower girl, but they were picked up by grandparents (they were kids of friends, not family, so grandparents weren't attending) after dinner and then the reception was kid free. That's one option.

The other option you can present that I've heard other people go with is to hire a babysitter for the evening. They can either hang out in a hotel room with the kids (or pool, etc.) if you have a block of rooms set aside. Or they can come pick the kids up after dinner and bring them home to watch. It's a bit of an extra expense, but it helps enforce your 'kid free' reception policy.

Ultimately, it is up to your guests to make arrangements for their kids since they know in advance whether or not kids are welcome at the reception. I have out of town family who are travelling but leaving their kids with family/friends near their homes to come to my wedding and they had no issues with it. It's fairly commonplace now for weddings to be an adult zone.

• Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes, I would just let people know there's generally no children invited. We spread the word before the invites went out, addressed the invites to only the adults and added "adult reflection to follow". We made in know that my fiancé's nephews are invited to the whole thing. Most people asssume that nephews and nieces will be included because they're immediate family.
    It's also your wedding and you can do what you want!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics