Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Newbie October 2019 Alberta

Kids at the wedding

Sara, on March 27, 2019 at 18:58 Posted in Wedding reception 0 24

What is everyones opinion about children at the wedding?

24 Comments

Latest activity by Holly, on April 5, 2019 at 03:15
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The only kid at our wedding will be our 6½ month old son. We have asked all guests to leave their children at home. Just makes for a more comfortable environment for adults to be adults. Plus if we allowed all the children we'd hit the venue limit!
  • Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have too much extended family with multiple kids. Like some families have upwards of 5.

Some of our relatives and friends don't really do a great job wrangling their children at family functions either.

If we allowed kids it would literally double our guest list.

We didn't want to pick and choose children based on closeness, or behavior so we opted for a kid free wedding to make it fair across the board.

The only exception is his two nephews. But they are teenagers so not really "children".

Most of our family and friends are good with the idea, and even expressed they don't like bringing their children to weddings or events where lots of alcohol will be served.

We love it, now we don't have to worry about moderating certain things or someone having a temper tantrum.

I mean it's your day do what you want! Just whatever you decide stick with it across the board.

We wanted to have fun and celebrate with the people that actually know who we are and will remember the day.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're allowing people to bring their children. I don't really care for them at weddings, but there was no way we'd tell people they couldn't bring their children.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We invited children: we had 10 under the age of 7. There were no tantrums, no screaming. They were the life of the dance floor. Some parents chose not to bring their children, which was fine too. But, I couldn’t imagine not having my nephews there!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We don’t have a flower girl / ring boy. So we are invited children from immediately family. I.e., my sister in laws baby, our cousin’s baby. And we have some younger teens who are first cousins.

Aside from that, no kids.

There will only be the 2 babies.
  • S
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I really want kids at the wedding, but how do you politely tell parents no kids at the reception? Most of the kids are related to me and would be in the photos but then eat and leave, i dont want them seeing all the adults getting sloppy drunk. and i dont want the adults with out kids to feel the need to censor themselves. Especially after like 9 pm. thats party time

• S
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How do you decide which few though? Like the flower girl needs to be there do I have to invite her brother? what about kids under 2 that wont remember anyway?

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it really depends on you, your family dynamic and the kind of party you want to have.

For us, we don't have a lot of family or friends with young kids, so we wont have kids at the wedding, save for maybe a couple young babies. Those friends with young kids generally enjoy the night off so it works out for them too

I've been to weddings that had a lot of young kids, and generally what happens is it becomes more of a family affair and has a more casual feel for some reason. I've definitely enjoyed the weddings more that didn't have kids...but that's me! Once I got knocked over on the dance floor because some idiot was spinning and whipping this kid around and hit me with an entire child.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have been to weddings where there is both kids and no kids. I find it better when no kids as there have been issues with tantrums or screaming and you can't hear the vows or whole ceremony. Its a personal choice and if you want this.

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're hosting an "Adult Reception" - no kids. Our niece, who is also our flower girl, is a year old but I think even she will be dropped off with a sitter after the photos. We just didn't want the headache, and frankly, with an open bar and my FH's friends, it's bound to get a bit rowdy.

• Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be having a few kids...my neice and nephew-to be (they are 4 and 6), my FH's cousin's son who is 1, a 1 month old baby, and FH's cousin who I believe is 10 or 11

I was never against kids being invited to the wedding, because I knew there wouldn't be a ton.

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What a great set up, I love the kids dance party!! so cute

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Only 2 kids for us - FH daughter (my soon to be step daughter!) and FH little sister, they will be 13 & 10 by then so more adolescents and will be able to sit peacefully through a nice dinner. Our venue is not kid - friendly, as in overpriced kids menu, not a lot of running around/burning off energy space, and just has a very elegant adult feel. So we are hoping to encourage it to be a date night on us! Nice dinner & dancing. I also have lots of first cousins with little ones, so it would put us over our guest limit as well. Not sure what the reaction will be overall but it is what it is. It all depends on what YOU want your day to be like. I think its pretty acceptable and common now to have an adult only wedding. Weddings are way less of a family reunion situation.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having very few kids at our wedding. I have a first cousin who's 12 and a few cousins who are 16-17 so letting them in too. Our 6 year old niece and 1 year old nephew are in the wedding party and everyone else's kids are not invited. If we invited all our cousin's kids, it'd be 30+ extras!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are allowing! Well we are leaving it open to the families! Kids are allowed but its the parents choice to bring them or not!

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Were allowing kids at ours...but we also have 2 toddlers of our own. If we didn't have kids I'm not sure we'd invite any. But since we have our own and obviously want them included were allowing kids bc they're mostly the same age and will hopefully help entertain each other lol
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having kids at our wedding - in total, there will be about 20 children under the age of 16 (half of whom are 9 years and younger). We are having a special 'kids only' 15 minute dance party right after dinner before the adult dancing starts (Just enough time for all the adults to refill their drinks!) where our DJ will play some of the songs our 5 year old niece requested (Let it go, Trolls theme song, lol).

We have hired a babysitter from 8 pm til 1 am for 150$ - she will be sitting in a special room we set up with mats, blankets, and pillows so when the kids pass out, the parents can stay and party without worrying about them!

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We won't be either. I think the youngest we'll invite will be about 14, and only because they're cousins. A couple of FH's friends have young kids so we'll specify on the invites the number of seats we're reserving for them.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Personally, I didn’t want to invite children.

however, my FH is very against not having children at the wedding. Also, his sister will have a child by the time our wedding rolls around so, we are having children but I think to compromise we will only invite a few.
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it depends on how many young kids are part of your family and bc they are family are they automatically included? But it gets sticky if your friends have children and you don't want kids at your wedding then you just have to be firm on no kids for everyone I think.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

NO! No kids!

We don't have the room to invite people that will:

A) not remember our wedding

B) possibly cry or make a scene during the ceremony

C) make parents go home early instead of enjoy themselves

D) make us watch what we say and do in front of them

E) monitor kids under 18 drinking (legal age at 18 is our cut-off for invites)

I'm sure there are more reasons but those are enough on their own for me to say no to kids at weddings. And yes, that means even some of my first cousins and my FH's first cousins will not be asked to attend.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The only kids we are having are my siblings and our cousins. Otherwise no kids. Any wedding we have been to that had kids got interrupted and/or parents left earlier than they wanted to tend to their kids so we made it a no kids wedding so everyone can enjoy
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have put right on our invites that we want it to be an adults only ceremony and reception. For the most part both our families leave the kids at home when we go to weddings so it’s a nice night out for mom and dad.
    We are only making an exception for our nieces and nephews. I have 4 on my side and my FH has 6. Plus 2 are in the wedding party, so we couldn’t just have 2 and exclude the rest of them!

• Monica
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will be having children of all ages at our wedding. Fiancé’s sister has 3 little ones and my cousins all have little ones as well.. thought it wasn’t fair to tell them to keep their kids at home since they are family also. And if we allowed family to bring children, we allowed our friends to as well

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics