Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Breanne
Frequent user September 2019 Alberta

Kid-free Wedding???

Breanne, on January 2, 2018 at 19:57 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 13
Hello Everyone!!!

My fiancé and I are on the fence about having kids at our wedding or not.
My cousin will be in the wedding party as well as our nieces and nephew.
We originally planned on inviting kids but now that we are further into planning, we are not so sure. We have received quotes from caterers, and many charge the same for children as they do for adults. This is making us second guess our decision greatly. I’m also not sure if we want a bunch of kids running around and getting grumpy late at night when the party is still going strong.

Did you have kids at your wedding? If so, how did it turn out?
Any suggestions on how to decrease the cost of food for the kiddos?

13 Comments

Latest activity by Vanessa, on January 5, 2018 at 20:42
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having limited kids and up to first cousins. I think we might be having at most 10 kids. It could not be kidless as my daughter is 9. I have invited my sister whom has 3 but not on the wedding party as I do not know if she could even make it as she lives in Ontario and a single mom. But for the kids we are having a separate area where they can chill or do some crafts/activities and during dinner and through some of the evening will have someone keeping an eye on them. Our budget doesn't allow for more kids and than you would be looking into 2nd and 3rd cousins which I don't think is necessary.

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I haven't said anything but FH and I have been considering seating options for the new family, this does change things for wedding plans but nothing too major. The reason I haven't said anything is because this pregnancy for them is a 3rd try, so I will have the convo probably after baby is born or when baby is close to be being born. But they are very respectable and they also had a kid free wedding a couple years ago. I'm sure mom to be will have ideas as well.

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Breanne (great name)!

Our wedding guest list is at 120 but Dave and I decided we are just doing family up to first cousins and no kids except his niece and nephew (who will play a part in our wedding). We both have fairly small families so about 80 of those guests will be close friends.

Other than his sisters kids there aren't any others in our immediate families - which I realize is definitely not the norm. If we invited our first cousins kids plus guests children we would have around 25 extra little guests and since 120 in our venue is tight, that would be 25 adults we would really like to be there that would have to come off the guest list to accommodate the children (our venue considers over 10 an adult at full price which most of these kids would be). As much as there are a few little ones I would like to have, with kids (especially of relatives) it was an all or nothing situation. Plus I kind of had a mental picture of a bunch of tweens and teens in the corners on phones the whole night.

And the fact that we were looking at paying $2000 for these children to eat an adult portion made it an easier decision - it has actually allowed us to afford an open bar. So far all of the people with children that we've let know it's adult only are actually excited about having a date night!

I know a no kid wedding definitely doesn't work for everyone by we are looking forward to having a super fun wedding with all those grown ups we love.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sort of in the same boat!

I'm hoping they may not bring the baby, but I'm sure they will. Did you have a conversation/will you have a conversation with them about if the baby is fussing during the ceremony?

I really don't want to hear crying or anything during the ceremony.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I decided to invite children only if the parents were travelling from out of town. That way I wasn’t leaving those families out who still wanted to come but didn’t have anywhere to keep their children for the weekend away.

My sister-in-law has a kid green wedding and even out of towners has to find alternatives. They did suggest several babysitters though in case someone ended childcare they could trust.
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I also considered hiring one of my fellow RECE friends when we were originally planning to have children, definitely a good idea and if we were having kids at the wedding this is what we would be doing.
  • Olivia
    Curious January 2019 Ontario
    Olivia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH and I are talking about hiring one of my coworkers (I’m an ECE) to cover childcare for our guests to have a Happy in between. This way we can provide her with cheaper, kid friendly meals and the children could visit the party, then go enjoy games and activities in our hotel room with a professional that I and my friends can trust. All in all it’ll cost about the same as 2 adults, and considering there are 5 children so far that’s a pretty good deal! Plus I get to give my coworker some extra cash and hopefully some connections to do more of the same business
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had no kids and it worked perfectly. The parents who attended knew well in advance and made sitter arrangements for the kids and were happy to have the night off to hang out and party!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The more I get into the planning stages, the more I realise I want a kid-free wedding. I have a few older cousins who have 3+ kids that I don't really know that well. Kids almost make up 25% of my guest list so cutting them would help keep the wedding small. It's been mentioned to me by my FSIL that she would love a kid-free getaway. The only problem is that the majority of my guests would be out-of-town. (I live in Northern Ontario and getting married in Southern Ontario where my FH and I are both from). People could still travel with their kids, they just wouldn't come to the wedding, but I would be open to visiting with families the day after. I also still want to have a flower girl/ring bearer who would leave after the ceremony.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't have children at our wedding except for our niece and nephews (some of whom were in the wedding and all are 5 or younger). No one seemed to mind that we said no kids. Many of our friends were actually excited to have a couples weekend away (we got married 3 hours from where we live). We were willing to make an exception for babies though as it is difficult to leave them when they are so young. I don't think you need to feel bad about not having kids at your wedding especially if doing so is going to make you bust your budget.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Kid free weddings are nkce except your taking family out that have kids.

In our planning when we were talking, i surely had invited kids from my side of the family. The party turned out great and they were kept busy by colouring or some activities. If i had sonme other friends with kids, i would have oncluded them. The kids had fun dancing as much as us. Thats my point of view.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are pretty much kid free! We were kid free 100% before Christmas, however that changed as one of the immediate family said they are expecting. Which little one will be only 2 months old so we are allowing that one exception, especially since this will be the couple's 1st child and at 2 months the little one may or may not be breast feeding. FH and I agreed if the baby was closer to a yr old then that would be a different story, but 2 months is quite small.

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We agreed to no kids, including no flower girl or ring bearer. A few reasons why.. 1. We would have had it no kids after 8pm, 2. Our venue is about an hour away, Mensing parents would either have to take their kids home then come back or just leave before 8 and not come back, 3. Don't want to risk one of this kids and babies making noises/getting up during the ceremony/speeches etc.
    Not sure how you would decrease the cost in kids meals..maybe see if you could work a deal with the caterer?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics