Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Newbie August 2019 Ontario

Keeping cost down

Emily, on April 10, 2018 at 12:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11
Hey Ladies,

I have just started planning my wedding! I am currently in the process of booking the venue and before I get too far into picking out decor and finalizing everything, I was wondering what kind tips & tricks everyone has for saving on costs. Any advise or tips would be helpful!

Thank you!
Emily VH

11 Comments

Latest activity by Christina, on April 17, 2018 at 01:29
  • C
    Newbie July 2019 British Columbia
    Christina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are a bit more than budgeted for the hall rental, but can do the ceremony and reception in one place which is cutting costs. Of course hiring everything else to make the wedding happen in the hall is adding up faster than I imagined, but then I read the small print of the other places (corkage fees, parking, cake cutting, decor, staffing, gratuties) and I think I’m coming out a touch ahead. Over budget, but happy with the overbudget going towards things that are more important to me, and saving on things that are not. Our venue allows vehicles to be left overnight which was also a big win!
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a cash bar, DIY center pieces and decorations (everything I did buy was previously used), wedding invites I found someone local that was able to do it and better cost then others. It is very hard because somethings I budgeted for I didn't budget enough and it costed double. I then had to figure out where I could save

• Stacey
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Stacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You and I are on very similar pages, although I’ve been involved in conversations with both my engaged friends and their wedding planning, I am in the process of booking the venue -basically the first step.

But my biggest advice to you - who is just starting out- is to remember to breathe! Costs will add up, it will make you sweat, it will bring out the worst anxiety in you, and it may also bring out some frustration which unfortunately your FH may be in the cross fire of. It’s not personal. Its just because they happen to be the first person you see.

If you two are too too comfortable grabbing take out vs. Dining in, go out for entertainment vs. Watching Netflix.. those are the biggest costs to first cut out. Maybe you don’t really need that new outfit, or maybe those shoes in your closet aren’t that bad and don’t need to be replaced... simple things like this will be the best way to start Smiley smile

once you get into the groove of saving, things will come naturally! Goodluck!
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

DIY projects, dollar store, second items and gathering those Micheal coupons definitely help.

I wouldn't settle on the first venue you search for, I would shop around 1st maybe another place could be cheaper and suit your needs. Some venues have certain deals as well.

• Mandy
    Devoted July 2019 Alberta
    Mandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing our centrepieces and everything else I have been getting on sale or second hand.
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Get recommendations from colleagues and check to see if you know people who can help you do things for a great price- especially for pricey things like photography!
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

DIY everything you can, IF you have the time/desire. Buy second hand and plan on reselling (My décor has all been purchased second hand from other brides or at thrift stores, and can all be resold for what I paid, or close to it, so that saves HUGE on costs). Pick a theme/colours and STICK WITH IT (don't change your mind).

One rule my fiancé and I made for ourselves was once a decision was made, we stopped looking at options and ideas for that, and we were not allowed to change our mind (colours, dress/suit, venues, etc).

Shop around! The same items/service can be a variety of prices - always look at what is included and what costs extra. Know what is important to you (Is having a kick ass meal important but you're willing to save on lighting? Table décor not important but DJ is?). Spend on the 'important' things (for us it was DJ, food and a jaw dropping candy display) and save on what isn't so important to you (for us, it was venue - we went with a community hall that hit all our must haves but saved us easily 2000 over a fancier venue!, transportation - we're renting SUV's instead of a limo, saving us about 500&dollarSmiley winking.

• Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think comparing prices is really important. This can be tough because a lot of vendors require you to inquire before they tell you the price, but often you can negotiate or tell them what you’re looking for. Don’t be afraid to get flowers at Sobeys or Costco...that can save you a lot. Another good tip is to find a photographer who is just beginning their career. Often times you can find beginners who are really good, but they won’t charge as much!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When booking the venue I stuck to the basic bar package and had them remove nearly all the seafood options from the antipasto bar. We have our photographer booked for the basic 8 hours, are most-likely using an online option for STD's and invitations. There's lots of ways to save!

• E
    Newbie August 2019 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your suggestions! I've been researching some different ideas but am always looking for more and like to hear the ones that work out. I am planning to diy as much as possible with my girls (have some fun crafty girls nights!)
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We made our table numbers and purchased our own napkins that were used from a previous bride. It was cheaper for us to do that then to borrow through our decorator. We purchased and made our signs as well to save on costs. Also, look for a template on Etsy for your invitations and print from home. It saves soooooo much money!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics