Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Master July 2018 Alberta

It's happening to me: Guests not sticking to their rsvp

Stephanie, on June 4, 2018 at 02:27 Posted in Wedding reception 0 8

Every single bride I've talked to said people RSVP'd yes but didn't come or didn't RSVP and did come. Every. Single. Bride. And now, it has happened to me! One guest asked to bring a plus one, which we agreed since people had said no. But, she hasn't gotten back to me to let me know if that person is coming or not.

Then, this weekend, I was talking to my FMIL who said her brother's girlfriend isn't coming anymore. MIL only found out because she emailed the girlfriend to say she was looking forward to meeting her, and that's when she said she couldn't come. She didn't tell me (and they were one of the first to RSVP!). Then, MIL mentioned that her (adult) niece might come. Her niece wasn't invited. She is the daughter of another brother. So, I said she could (since the girlfriend backed out) but that I would need to know. Why do people do this? At least this is before we sent the numbers in to the caterer so we can adjust them! But really, if you have to back out for some reason, please let the couple know!

8 Comments

Latest activity by Jen, on June 5, 2018 at 22:58
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We just had the exact same thing happen, and our wedding is on saturday and JUST paid for all of the meals. One of his uncles backed out because of a house he's building but didn't even think to tell us. The only reason we found out was because his parents ran into them.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We luckily didn't have this problem but I can understand the headache. I don't see how one person not coming means your FMIL can invite someone else in their place. That just seems rude to me.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When family is involved and having to communicate with others, they feel they should invite who is close to them without asking you first. They are not paying yet seem to have to have an input on your behalf.

As for RSVPs, everyone should be emailing you and letting you know personally. You do deaerve that respect after all. Let your MIL know that you need to get in touch by a anyone that has a concern or replying.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That sounds like such a headache! I wish people just understood that if for whatever reason you have to back out of something to just let us know! COMMON COURTESY PEOPLE!

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's amazing how oblivious people are to proper etiquette. To my knowledge we haven't had this problem... but anyone with a plus one I basically touched base with on the RSVP deadline to confirm they are coming.

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is my worst fear at the moment. We are just starting to get our RSVPs back. We invited a bit more than we have room for (230 invites and reception room holds 200) knowing some people’s or will not be able to make it already. We didn’t give +1s unless we knew they needed one cause we didn’t have the room and I’m already being hounded for them from certain family members for them to be able to bring a friend (I’ve told them only when I know for sure we have the room).

It’s hard cause sometimes life comes up on you at the last minute and travel is not an option but people should be letting you know as far ahead as possible (not have other people passing the message along).
  • Megann
    Frequent user September 2018 New Brunswick
    Megann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve invited people, no plus ones. If someone doesnt show, our guest list gets smaller. I find saying yes to one, no to the other, having family invited people not on your list is confusing...

I hope for you people decide to smarten up, some just dont understand the stresses of weddings and the fact is, there’s an rsvp and communication for a reason.

Remember, your day will be perfect neverless. Enjoy xx
  • Elycia
    Curious June 2018 Ontario
    Elycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is happening tp me too mostly because spme pf my feance relatives can't be bothered to find a babysitter. Ive ben inviting people to take theor places because i still ha e toy pay fpr them.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics