Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

V
Newbie November 2022 Ontario

Is this tacky? My dream destination wedding was cancelled twice.

V Pe, on June 27, 2022 at 14:45 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11

Hey Brides!

I was supposed to get married in Jamaica in 2020, then got postponed to 2021, then eventually had to cancel. My wedding dress is still sitting in my closet. Haha My entire bridal party has had babies since then and some even have their passports expired as well (it is apparently a long wait for them) Me and Groom already have 2 children together and he is okay just eloping to City hall, but I feel I will regret bc I would love to have a first dance and just a great send off to the ‘official’ married life and dance the night away with the hubby.

I am trying to get married soon, would a nice community centre be tacky? I personally do not mind but I do not want the guests to complain. I do plan on providing good music, food and alcohol.

11 Comments

Latest activity by Patrice, on July 6, 2022 at 22:41
  • Patrice
    Beginner June 2023 Ontario
    Patrice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not tacky at all. You could decorate the community centre to set the mood that you want for your wedding.

Of all the weddings I have attended, the reason I remember the ones I do was because of the people not the venue. I only remember that I had a good time. Your guests will be happy to eat sandwiches and juice with you in your backyard as long as you're happy and they get to celebrate with you.

Later, in celebration of an anniversary, you could always have the wedding you planned and wear your wedding dress, again Smiley smile

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wanted to elope but the FMIL would have it. I had a friend who got married at city hall then rented a restaurant. My cousin had his wedding in a pool hall that was fun, my other cousin had his wedding at a school gym. No one really cares where you do it, they care that you invited them to celebrate with you.

• KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Go for it! If we have learned anything during this pandemic is that people want to get and celebrate happy occasions whether it be a far away resort, city hall or a community hall..

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Community centers are a great source for a small wedding and reception since you don't have to change seating and dinner. The only change to make is the alter decor to a sweetheart table for yourselves.

My in laws had their reception months after their elopement in Nova Scotia in a community hall of 50 guests. It was nice and simple.

• Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with everyone here. Community halls can be really well done. I have set up a few weddings at halls and they provide some great space to work with.

Also, if your guests complain about the venue you picked for YOUR day, they can kick the curb hahaha I'd just be honored to be invited that I wouldn't care where it was haha

• Yami
    Frequent user October 2022 Ontario
    Yami ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not tacky at all!! I think your guests would be just so happy for you two that you’re finally able to do it. You can alway add a bit of decor if you think the venue needs it anyway!
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think if you're providing good food and a fun night, it doesn't matter where you get married. We rented a local community hall because it was soo cheap ($360 for the entire weekend, tables and chairs included) no guests complained and I have gotten sooo many compliments on how nice our wedding is!
  • Jacquie
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Jacquie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Community halls aren't tacky at all. However, IMO they can be more work. You are responsible for all set up, décor, take down and clean up. If you have some family/friends willing to help out this can be a great option.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think it's tacky at all! Your guests will be happy no matter what kind of place you have your reception at. They're there to celebrate the two of you!
  • Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Community halls are the most affordable option! You can decorate as you please to make it look like a completely different place on the inside. Rental places have curtains and pipes so you can cover the walls, you can make the tables how ever you want with flowers, candles and linen and get chair covers so the ones they provide are covered because sometimes they are not the nicest.

But personally, I don't think it's tacky and its a super affordable way to have a wedding. I say go for it!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I dont think it's tacky. It could be a fun party!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics