Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Natalie
Curious June 2017 Quebec

Is this tacky and bad etiquette? fh and i don't seem to agree...

Natalie, on May 7, 2017 at 21:20 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11

Hi everyone,

Our wedding day will take place during the earlier hours of the day. We will have the ceremony at noon, followed by a cocktail hour and a brunch reception that will probably end around 4-5 PM at latest.

In the evening, we have a number of guests, many of them out of town, with whom we will be going out for supper and drinks and "continue the festivities". This event is meant to be an open invitation, more casual and everyone is paying their own way, much like you would do in a group outting. We would not expect gifts.

There are a number of people that we cut from our official wedding list (due to budget/space constraints of our venue) but FH would like to invite them to this supper/drinks portion.

Although this plan could also allow me to include some people that did not make the cut (eg. some co-workers), part of me feels it would be rude/tacky to do this. I worry people might feel hurt/offended they were B-listed and not important enough to be part of the "real" reception. My FH doesn't quite see it that way as he had once been invited to the "after party" portion of a wedding and was OK with this.

I had read on some wedding forums that making 2 separate events on different days would make the wedding seem less "tiered". Unfortunately this is not really an option as our OOT guests will only be in the city for so long...

Should we keep the supper part of the day exclusive to the guests who were at the actual wedding or is it not that big of a deal to invite other peeps?

Thanks for your input!

11 Comments

Latest activity by Natalie, on June 27, 2017 at 23:11
  • Natalie
    Curious June 2017 Quebec
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In the end I just told my B list by word of mouth. We had reserved a certain of spots at the restaurant (more rather than less) and told them that they were welcome to join in. Thankfully my group of people were quite understanding that I couldn't invite everyone to the wedding and were happy i extended the invitation. They all could not make it in the end as my wedding was on Fathers' day and they already had other plans.
  • S
    Beginner October 2018 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm struggling with this idea as well. So what are your plans? Did you make a reservation at a restaurant for X amount of people? And how does your B List know they are paying for themselves? Did you send separate invitations?

We'd like to do a small brunch reception after the ceremony but I don't want to miss out on having fun with friends and extended family either. I just wasn't sure what the best way to go about doing both would be.

• Natalie
    Curious June 2017 Quebec
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for everyone's wonderful input!

I really find these forums helpful to make informed decisions and the community has been really kind! I think I'm feeling the crunch and getting a little stressed out and worried about rubbing people the wrong way...:/

I feel more comfortable now to extend the supper invitation to my "B-listers". My FH and I just have to be confident in our decisions and have faith that people will be understanding. And if not, so be it...

• Hannah
    Frequent user March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Hannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel there should only been one list of guests. I agree with your point of view. However, after budgeting for my own wedding, I would not be offended if I made the B list...first off, I don't think of it as a B List. If you express to people you want to have an intimate ceremony but a party for the reception, I tjink everyone will understand. And if they don't understand the costing and intimacy a family wedding can provide, should they truly be invited to any part of your wedding day?
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Very well said! I agree! Smiley smile
  • L
    Devoted September 2017 Saskatchewan
    Lyz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Don't do anything that you're uncomfortable with, but if it was me for example and I wasn't invited to the actual, but got an invite for the after portion, I would still feel blessed to be apart of your day and understand why I didn't get an invite to the earlier portion. just be honest and let them know that you really want to celebrate with them, but this is the only way you could make it work. hope this helps and good luck
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's fine however, if you're uncomfortable with it, he can invite the people he wants and you can just keep it with the people you've already invited to everything else.

• Sandy
    Curious June 2018 Ontario
    Sandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I say the more the merrier! They will be paying their own way so no problem expense wise!If people get offended because of being on guest list b and not a then they simply don't have to come. To me this is no different than being invited to reception only (dance) and not the dinner. I have accepted lots of those, what's the difference. It's just nice to be included at all Smiley smileHave a fantastic time and worry less. Smiley smile
  • Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've always been of the opinion that people should be invited to everything or nothing when it comes to weddings. We are having a small wedding mostly because we want an intimate setting, but also because we want to serve really good food and open bar to everyone and keeping the numbers low is one way to make that work for us. I have always felt like inviting people to the reception only and not the dinner is like saying "we like you enough for you to come and give us a gift, but not enough to feed you dinner."

However, I also believe in always seeing things from both sides. Maybe it is not an option for some people to have a small wedding, even if they want to. You are specifically telling people to not bring gifts to the after party, which I think is really important. Also, I like to think that most people are decent humans and will understand that there are reasons why they are invited to the after party only. It's your day and no one needs to make you feel bad about doing things the way that you want to, for whatever reasons you have!

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Inviting other people is fair game as long as you don't expect gifts and explain it's due to space constraints. As long as you're honest and make it clear that it's just the dinner portion, not the ceremony and reception, that's ok.
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's all a matter of opinion and what you feel comfortable with, but yes I agree with you. Doesn't matter which way you justify it in my opinion, someone is likely to get offended. I feel the same way about showers as well. You shouldn't invite people to showers and then they aren't good enough to be invited to the wedding. To me this is the same idea! I know my family would be super offended if I did something like that. I don't know if that was what you wanted to hear but I hope you figure it out! Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics