Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Christine
Curious September 2018 Nova Scotia

Is plastic cutlery ok!?

Christine, on April 10, 2018 at 18:47 Posted in Wedding reception 0 21
So my colours for my wedding are navy blue and gold at the reception the table cloths are going to be navy and I really wanted gold cutlery but it's so expensive I've been thinking with going with plastic but I'm not sure if that's the best idea?? (Even plastic is going to cost me over $150 and I'll just be throwing it out!) (But I love the look!!!!) Should I just forget about it and use the regular cutlery they offer at the reception hall?

21 Comments

Latest activity by Jennifer, on April 13, 2018 at 19:03
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Lol! Thanks I sure hope it will be Smiley shame
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with Stephanie! I'm trying to incorporate more silver accents with my reception and I was going to look into Silver charger plates. Inexpensive, and really gives an elegant look!

However, plastic cutlery just to have the colour gold? I'd vote no. Your guests are most likely going to be put off by plastic cutlery than if you have silverware with your navy & gold decor. Plus the environment factor for sure.

Andie suggested gold napkins or napkin rings as well... which would be nice.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mmmm pulled pork. Can I come to your wedding?! Haha. Jk.... Sort of Smiley laugh Sounds like your wedding will be a lot of fun.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with this! My biggest concern was having so much plastic waste... there are a lot of other ways you can bring in some gold touches! (Charger plates are $1.00 at the dollar tree and are actually really nice! not cheap looking!) you can tie some gold ribbon around the glassware!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Save the environment and your wallet! Use what is on offer and add some gold touches in other ways.

• Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would skip the plastic (hooray environment!) and use that money for things like gold napkins or table runners
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would use what is offered, not only will it save you money, but it will also save the environmental impact as well. Although it will look nice, plastic cutlery is hard to eat with at times, and may be a little tacky. Cut your losses, and do something fabulous with the money you would have spent on them!

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

$150 on plastic that you're going to toss is too much. Put that towards something awesome, and just use the cutlery the venue offers.

• C
    Curious July 2018 Ontario
    Cathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wouldn't use plastic cutlery, it may break, look cheap, etc, go with something nice that will compliment the rest of the table.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Use what is offered. It helps save money plus it seems like it would be used for outdoor weddings, not receptions indoors.

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would definitely use the cutlery they offer at the venue. Whatever it looks like it has to be better than the look of plastic in my opinion. I can honestly say I've never been to a wedding where I've paid much attention to what the cutlery looks like - but I would definitely remember plastic if it was used anywhere other than outdoors. As cute as gold would look I don't think it's necessary

Definitely save yourself the money and just go with the venues - it's free Smiley smile

• Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think the same way, so don't feel bad for saying it.
    Smiley smile
  • Stacey
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Stacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree with the environmental perspective. Any contribution helps regardless the size! Also, why not in replacement of the gold plastic cutlery put the cutlery in gold napkins or have something gold in the middle of the table with your centre pieces?
  • Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Just use the one that your venue have. Plastic ones breaks easily. I'm sure your guest won't mind.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly I’d let it go. No one is going to notice the cutlery and $150 is a lot of money you can put to something else.
  • Catherine
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Catherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I hate to be this person, but from an environmental perspective reusable things are always the better option. If your venue has metal cutlery that you like well enough, and you would be ok forgoing the gold, I think it’s worth considering the lesser impact. Smiley smile
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it depends on what you're serving and the venue itself.

For example, we're having our wedding in an old 1920s manor that's been converted to a fine dining restaurant. We're serving steak and chicken, etc.

The plastic would look odd at ours I think, but it definitely could work for other feels.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you could use them. Honestly, people aren't going to remember that you used plastic cutlery. They also won't remember that your cutlery matched your colours so either way it'll work! For details pictures, the gold would look really nice!

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly they are fine! I wouldn't mind eating with them! If you really want that look go for it but if you want to save a bit then I'd just go with that 😊
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it depends what you’re serving. Our caterer provides plastic cutlery and I think we’ll use it because we’re having a pulled pork - bbq style wedding supper on the farm. If we were having steak I’d definitely want real cutlery lol
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If the plastic cutlery would go with your venue and theme, sure, but if your venue is too fancy for this you probably shouldn’t.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics