Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Becky
VIP September 2019 Ontario

Is it expected that the future mother in law is to get ready with her son?

Becky, on March 13, 2018 at 09:04 Posted in Beauty 0 14

I recently booked the makeup for my wedding and about to book the hair. I had asked the future mother in law if she would like to get her makeup done with me since she has short hair and no need for anything to be done with it. She said no and that she would be getting ready with her son. I thought she would still have time to do makeup as her son doesn't take long to get ready. Is this normal tradition? I haven't heard of it before and every wedding party I have been apart of both moms have always gotten ready with the bride.

14 Comments

Latest activity by Jen, on March 14, 2018 at 12:09
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FMIL and FSIL, even though my FSIL is in our wedding party, won't be getting ready with us as they are bringing their own person to do their hair and makeup. I'm sure they will end up at our place with their son/brother that day as well. I learned to let it go even though it really bothered me at first.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am not sure I have ever heard it either way. My MIL got ready with her daughters and grandchildren at the hotel, I got ready with my BMs and mum and my husband got ready with his groomsmen.

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Alexandra! I am hearing very different views and has made me feel better about her saying that. We don't know where they are getting ready and I don't think it would be at her house but likely at ours and she could be there with them.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve never been involved in a wedding where the mil got ready with the bride lol. My future mil is probably getting ready at her house where the groomsmen will also be. She isn’t getting ready with me at all.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is the same as us.

I think it depends where the Groomsmen are getting ready. Since we are getting ready separately that day, I get our house, and my FH is going to his mum's to get ready there.

• Mandy
    Devoted July 2019 Alberta
    Mandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Same with mine he doesn’t want his parents getting ready with them. However I have offered for my mother in law to get her hair and makeup done with us. However when it comes down to me putting on my dress she will be asked to leave the room.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've never heard of that being a tradition. Parents usually get ready on their own time, unless getting hair and makeup done with the girls. I know my fiance won't want his mom getting ready with him and the boys as it will be their guys time. Maybe that's just her preference? Maybe she wants to spend some extra time with him, hopefully he knows that lol
  • Stephanie
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My future mother in law is getting ready with the boys as they are getting ready at her house. she is also there is make sure the boys are shaved, cleaned up and fed a good lunch. i'm glad she will be there to make sure the guys also leave at the correct time.

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly, I don't think I've heard of a mother getting ready with her son, usually it's a morning for the groomsmen getting ready together and maybe the dad. I can see maybe if he's getting ready at his parents house that she would be there or maybe her stopping by to see them after they've gotten ready but not spending the morning with them - that seems odd to me...

Either way I think you've done the right thing and invited her (and are still holding her spot). It will come down to what your FH wants to do and how much time he wants to spend with her. Maybe he could mention something to his dad for a gentler approach.

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awe I can kind of relate, my mother isn’t into getting her hair or makeup done so she says she doesn’t know if she will, I hope that for the sake of the experience she decides to get ready with me on my wedding day. Just seems so special for all the ladies to be together that morning but I have been in bridal parties where neither of the moms were there getting ready with us so I’m going to try and just let it go! I feel like my fiancé would not let his mom get ready with the guys though lol
  • Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I did tell him her reaction and he said he would see how she felt closer to. I don't think he really cared where she was, but I would have thought the guys part as well. I either way booked a spot incase she changed her mind. The makeup artist said it wasn't an issue and to let her know a week before the wedding.

• Audrey
    Curious August 2019 New Brunswick
    Audrey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have never heard of this. Is your fiancé ok with that? Sometimes men just want To be with men and same thing for the girls. It should depend on what you guys want.
  • Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have had my issues with her but I thought we were past that as I have always made an effort with her. I was tad offended when this occurred, but then thought maybe I just never heard of it!

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FMIL is getting ready with us girls. I’ve never heard of the mother of the groom getting ready with the groom but maybe that’s a tradition I’ve just never heard of yet haha

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics