Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Frequent user November 2017 Ontario

Is is only me or in hindsight knowing what you know would you have eloped?

Chris, on September 21, 2017 at 23:19 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 6

I am really wishing in hindsight I would have eloped as it would have avoided the disappointment and negativity. Has anyone felt this way or is it just me?

I thought weddings were happy times and fun and mine has unfortunately been quite the opposite.

The bridal party whom we asked in the winter has been MIA we have not seen them at all in 9 months.

Here are a few of the lowlights for me

They do not like turquoise can they change the colour to what they want for my wedding (Yes-I kid you not!) to rainbow or dark green, dark purple or navy blue?

We are busy every single weekend for 4 months so unable to go dress shopping , show shopping or assist you with anything at all

Party bought their dresses and chose their colour choice without the bride.

Neighbour called the wedding party to see what they are doing for bachelorette party -nothing we are too busy. So neighbour wanted to do something based on their schedule which the date was communicated but they could not attend

The time of the wedding ceremony is the afternoon could it be changed to the evening or morning to better suit them - not the bride or groom but the guests, would you be able to see if this can be done? Seriously! Sure what time would you like for our wedding. We will rearrange the officiant to suit your schedule not a problem. I tired to be sarcastic and I got ok thanks let me know.

We are too busy to throw a shower so other friends decided a bride for her first and last wedding should have a party but wedding party is unable to assist or attend

Hurricane destroys the resort for the wedding people cancel

The bridal party - men do not want to wear pants, tie, pocket square or cuff link could they wear no tie, shorts sandals / flip flops and short sleeve shirt 7 weeks before the wedding after the attire has been set for 7 months

They are aware the groom spent $200 for cufflinks, pocket square and tie but they don't care as nobody should wear pants in a wedding party as it will be boiling

I do not want to make the same mistake and say sure why don't you wear tank top, boxers and barefeet it would be cooler or perhaps a speedo. As they may actually take me seriously so I have yet to respond I will sleep on it tonight.

Nobody is able to assist with anything centrepieces, program, name tags, welcome bags, hand writing table arrangements nothing

However they all have a say when they want to change how I want to plan the wedding that I am paying for every single aspect for myself with not a dime from anyone and by means of dime I mean nada

Does anyone else feel all you get is negativity and its getting you down weeks away from your wedding. I am wondering why I have spent all this money and nobody is happy for us or appreciative and wants to change our vision.

If I could do it all over again I would get married with just us and this way nobody would have their two cents on how we could have should have done it this way or try to change our happiness

I am beginning to feel stressed, overwhelmed, down, and cranky as I have literally hit my limit before I am about to blow a gasket and become that bridezilla

My other friends cannot believe I have held it in this long but I am about ready to lose my cool.

In hindsight I am thinking eloping in Fiji would have been nice.

6 Comments

Latest activity by Daphne, on September 27, 2017 at 15:47
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't change a thing, but again I did not have all the things you are describing. I'm sorry your having to deal with inconsiderate people when you should be enjoying the whole process. And it's never too late to elope (Fiji just might not be).

• Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That sounds awful. Your wedding part sounds like its full of selfish children.

If i was dealing with that, i'd just say screw it all and elope.

Honestly, we had some negativity surrounding the wedding and i was pretty overwhelmed and upset (not half as bad as you're dealing with), but if i had to do it over again, i would 100% for sure elope. My husband agrees.

• Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow sounds like you're dealing with a lot! I'm sorry for all the negativity and stress. My husband and I never considered eloping but I hear that a lot of other people do. We didn't have the same problems that you had but we did have some of our own issues with the wedding party and family being unsupportive of our wedding decisions. My best advice would be to stick to your guns and don't give in to what they want because it's YOUR day. All you have to make happy is you and your fiance. I can say from experience that when it got to the wedding day, everyone finally "got" our vision and my mom and my sisters all said how glad they were that I didn't compromise. I think it's hard for them to understand the overall vision until they get there and see it all together. For example, I had wanted my bridesmaids to wear purple shoes (our wedding colours were purple and charcoal and their dresses were charcoal) and I was brainstorming with my MOH/sister and asked her what style of shoe she thought and she said that she was planning on wearing a pair of black pumps and that we should just tell everyone to find a pair of black heels to wear. I stuck to my decision and we found a pair of comfy, inexpensive purple pumps for everyone and after they saw everyone dressed up for the wedding, my sister was like "omg the shoes look amazing!" Smiley winking They matched their bouquets perfectly and added a great pop of colour, as I knew they would. So just hang in there and do what you want and don't feel guilty for it!

Flowers and Shoes

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you need to lay it all out for your wedding party. I think they need to hear how you really feel because clearly the other avenues of response haven't worked.

I personally would have told all my bridal party to return their non-conforming dresses or get out of the bridal party. You are a better person than I! Your FH should also stand up to his groomsmen and say that they have to wear the specific attire you picked.

I think the trick now is to focus on you and your FH getting married and ignoring the other stuff. Just remember that you love this person and are excited to share your lives together! Smiley smile

• C
    Frequent user November 2017 Ontario
    Chris ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks Sonja I feel better as I was wondering is it just me or are other people going through this. Sad to know this is a trend but good to know I am not alone.

I thought by saying what would you prefer for MY wedding would have clued them in but it didn't they responded we want to wear shorts and flip flops or sandals and a short sleeve shirt no tie.

I was getting custom made earrings and pendant from a silversmith and then men were getting the matching cufflinks but since they do not want to wear French cuffs or even long sleeve shirts why bother. based on everything I have been through they would not appreciate it and most likely would ask to wear gold with my luck. Instead of saying thank you. can heard it now I do not like it and would prefer to wear X.

Unfortunately its not just them my own family members suggested I change the venue due to the hurricane as the beach may not be as pretty with a few less palm trees.

So I am just at my limit right now and now sure how much more I can take before I stand up and roar. I decided to post on here before I responded to the we want to wear shorts and flip flops in the party so I can think clearly before responded irrationally

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You must be so discouraged. I've noticed this is becoming a trend among wedding parties. Nobody wants to help. I think you're going to have to insist that people cooperate with you or leave the bridal party. At this point, you probably wouldn't even care if they did leave. Who gave them the right to have input. This is your wedding and you and your FH call the shots. Who's looking out for your interests? By the sounds of things, nobody. So it's time to stand up and roar. If they don't want to cooperate, go to your destination and leave them in the dust. You can't please all the people all the time. So please yourself and if anyone has a comment, just ask them, "Who's wedding is this, anyway?" I hope things work out for you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics