Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Keisha
Beginner August 2019 British Columbia

Is a "day-of" Wedding Coordinator worth it?

Keisha, on November 29, 2018 at 16:42 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12

Hi ladies! My FH and I are debating whether or not we should hire a "Day-of" Wedding Coordinator, it'll be a fairly decent sized wedding with 125 guests, and we do have 2 different venues for our ceremony and reception. I'm just concerned that it might be additional cost that isn't needed...

For Vancouver brides, any suggestions who to look up? Thanks in advance Smiley heart

12 Comments

Latest activity by Emily, on December 1, 2018 at 03:37
  • Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would say 100 percent yes! We only had 110 guests but it was still so wonderful to have. I work in events but even still it was nice to have someone to handle the little details and any questions/concerns or things that needed to be done so we could enjoy ourselves.
  • Jenny
    Curious May 2019 British Columbia
    Jenny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I hired my day of coordinator for $1,500 and reading on the comments above, i think it's totally worth it!

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For us it is bc we don’t have a bridal party and don’t want our family and friends to have to do anything but come and celebrate with us.

We’re based in Toronto, and getting married in Victoria.

While interviewing for a month of coordinator we decided to instead go with a full service one who included decor design in package.

If we’d gotten married in Vancouver we would have gone with Umbrella Events.

• Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I keep going back and forth on this too. Great discussion! Some of the tips are helpful and I think that I am feeling more confident about having good friends take care of the details for me, ones that aren't in the wedding party that way they are still involved with the wedding details etc.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

They are helpful. but it doesn't have to be a hired person. last year I did it for one of my good friends. She gave my number to her vendors, gave me her credit card for any emergencies. and I took care of it. she loved it for the fact she didn't have to worry about anything and got to relax with her bridesmaids.

my day of coordinators are also my dj's. so the cost wasn't much more than a basic dj (like 100). and they are just awesome and have been super helpful. If I didn't have this. 2 of my friends were willing to help me out with it. but cost wise...I don't think I could have justified a lot of money either.

with having 2 venues. plus wherever you are getting ready. I would want one. but like other people said. if your reception venue has someone. utilize them (you are at that location way longer than your ceremony site).

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It'll probably be worth it for you given the details you shared above! I know they're sometimes pricey, but if you'd rather not handle anything leading up to and/or on the day of your wedding, they'll be able to handle correspondence and setup for you, which is huge.

If your venues offer an event planner you may be able to get by without one, but if applicable, it would be best to confirm the extent of what they'll be handling the day of.

• Amie
    Devoted August 2019 British Columbia
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Keisha,

Although I haven’t been married yet, I am in the planning stages. Like you, I debated back and forth whether or not a day of coordinator was worth it.

I asked my married friends and family (some who used a coordinator and others who didn’t) and did some online research. Everyone I spoke to said a day of coordinator is a must and well worth the money, especially if your venue doesn’t offer you one.

The last thing you need on your wedding is to be worrying about delivery’s, timing, small details and vendors. This is your and your FH’s big day. Spend the $ and save yourself the stress.

The beauty of most day of coordinators in the Vancouver area is they will help you with details and organizing a month before your wedding. They will be your point of contact with the vendors so you won’t be getting any phone calls or worrying before your wedding.

I am using Suzanne with City Skyline Events and she is fantastic so far. I ended up booking. Partial planning package (she had a promo on at the time and the cost between day of and partial was minimal). I can say it’s been worth the money and it’s 9 months out.

Your day of coordinator will also take phone calls, emails, create a wedding day schedule, checklist, key vendor list, and detailed timeline.

If you do decide to book a day of coordinator, be sure to interview your top choices and compare what they are offering. Like I said, most will start a month before the wedding.

I spent nearly a month comparing planners and interviewing them. If you have anymore questions about coordinators in the Vancouver area, let me know.

I hope this was helpful.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depends on how helpful your venues already are as well as how involved your wedding party will be with helping make sure everything is going according to schedule. For instance; my wedding has a guest list of 250 but the ceremony and reception will be taking place at the same venue. Had there been no other factors, I would have skipped on the day-of coordinator. However, since my wedding venue is outside the city and has no cell phone reception - we thought it best to hire their in house coordinator so that all of our vendors will be able to reach somebody. Plus it wasn't the most expensive out there so we felt that we were paying a good price for what we will be getting out of it.

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    100% worth it! Best money we spent!!!! Didn't have to run around , chase people down etc etc. Was able to relax and enjoy ourselves!
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Absolutely! My "day of" coordinator has helped me so much already and we are still a few months out. She had vendor recommendations, she helped make my timeline, she has been going back and forth between myself and the venue for me since she has worked with them before. She will be doing all of the set-up for the ceremony and reception. She will make sure all the vendors are there and on time, and set up correctly. I will give her all the tip money envelopes. She has answered all of my questions about liquor licenses and liability insurance.

I did hire her, and I do feel the extra cost is 100% worth everything she is doing for me. However, Brittany is right that you can appoint someone else or multiple people to do all of these things on the day of. I did not want to ask anyone to do these things for us though, and I felt the extra expense was necessary to ensure that not only my FH and I were having an amazing day, but our family and friends as well.

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it depends on your budget. For me, an extra thousand (to start) for a say-of coordinator isn't worth it. My MOH will be around to kind of direct the flow of events, and luckily we have family members willing to help should any issues arise.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It totally depends on your wedding. How much decor do you have? How many 3rd party vendors are you bringing in?

I would say yes. However, it doesn't have to be a hired professional. My wedding is 100 ish people, and we barely have any decor due to my venue being fairly 'self-decorated'. I'm having my cousin and his girlfriend go to the venue and set up the centrepieces, signs, and a few other decor items the morning of (I can leave it all there in boxes the night before when we go for our rehearsal. What it's costing me is paying for their hotel an extra night, so they can be there in the morning to help out.

I'm going to have instructions and photos for them to use to set up. I my only 3rd party vendors that day are my photographer and DJ. My photographer will be communicating directly with me or my mom, and the DJ will work with the venue (any emergencies will be directed to my mom).

If you have a significant amount of decor, or time consuming decor (chair covers and sashes, for example), and a few different vendors (photographer, DJ, photo booth, caterer, etc), you may want to get a professional Day-Of coordinator. However, a well trusted family member who's not in the core group can be just ask effective...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics