Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Heather
Curious September 2020 Manitoba

Inviting co workers to wedding

Heather, on March 5, 2020 at 21:13 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 14
Looking for opinions on what proper etiquette is. I work for a large company and there’s about 50 on my floor alone that I work with. I work closely with about 5 people. Is it ok or “proper” to invite a select few to my wedding? Or is it smarter to just avoid inviting anyone as I obviously can’t Invite everyone I work with/see on a daily basis.
I know people will say do what I want but I am actually looking for opinions on what the best etiquette is in this situation. Thanks!!

14 Comments

Latest activity by Sadia, on March 11, 2020 at 23:39
  • Sadia
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Sadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I work with about 85 people on my floor. It’s awkward because everyone knows it’s coming up and keeps wanting to talk about it, but I’ve only invited the 10 closest coworkers of mine hah
  • First
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    First ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it’s totally acceptable not to invite everyone you work with. I agree with Amelia though, if you want to invite coworkers it’s better to invite only a few rather than leaving out only a few. It’s also good etiquette to avoid discussing your wedding with the people you’ve invited in front of others that weren’t invited.
  • Laura
    Devoted June 2022 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's really about who you want at your wedding. I'm at a fairly small office of 10 people, and most of us are really close so we ended up including everyone.

• A-W
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    A-W ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I only invited 1 of my coworkers since I hang out with her regularly outside of work. Every now and then there are group outings for all coworkers but I still wouldn't consider that wedding level of friendship.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Inviting co workers is fine and the ones you find that are close to you. Your guest list and budget is what your aiming to fit the number wanted. If your tight and can't include them, then reconsider and have a lunch after the wedding with them and your fiancé come out. This may be the solution if it works.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have about 100 people at my work, interact with about 20, but only invited my coworkers that I see outside of work. If you don't have a friendship with them (different than a working relationship), then I wouldn't invite them. I'm sure they will be fine without an invite as long as you make sure to share pics!

(DH works with about 12 people and is friends with about 10 of them so we just invited everybody.)

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm not inviting a lot of coworkers. If I see them outside of work or if I would be fine picking up the tab at a restaurant if I went out with them then I will invite them.
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have about the same amount in my department, and I went with "only if I see them outside of work" as the rule, same with Corey. So for me that is 1 co worker + her husband, and for FH that is quite a bit more as most of our friends are his co workers. Just be discreet about the invites and maybe ask that those co workers not speak about it to much at work? That being said, its your wedding and you shouldn't have to invite everyone you work with at all.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We picked and chose who were inviting from work. im not inviting everyone from my office cuz i know if i left the office i wouldnt talk to those people. im only inviting my close office friends

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our rule was that they had to be coworkers we saw outside of work in order to be invited (we also have a very small guest list). People are pretty understanding of this so you likely won’t cause drama if you only invite a select few.
  • A
    Frequent user August 2020 Ontario
    Anna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think anyone would expect you to invite the whole office. I don't think you need to explain why you aren't doing that, either. Invite the people you spend time with outside of work and leave it at that. I work in an office of 50+ people and have invited 6.

• Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When working for a bigger company I would personally invite only those you are close with.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it’s fine to invite only those youre close with. That’s what I did and my floor is way smaller.

I gave the invites to the people I wanted when no one else was around to avoid awkwardness
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    From what I've read online, if you can see yourself taking those people out to lunch or spending time together outside of work it's ok.

I would speak to them so they know the whole office isn't invited so no feelings get hurt. To me inviting 5 of 50 is better than 45 of 50, a select few sounds better than excluding a select few.
    I work with about 30 and my plan is to invite about 20 who I spend time with or can actually picture coming. I actually had someone bring this up today and that was my answer!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics