Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jessica
Frequent user September 2018 Ontario

Invites - when to send them

Jessica, on November 15, 2017 at 11:29 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 14
Hey everyone ! My fiancè and I have decided to skip the save the dates, as they don't exactly make sense to us to send out and to add that extra cost to our budget, we were considering just sending our invites out early in placement of them, however we have been suggested by family that our plan to do that seems silly as our wedding isn't until September, does any one have any opinions on this ? Or any alternative save the date methods they've had luck with ?
Thanks Smiley smile

14 Comments

Latest activity by Leah, on February 12, 2019 at 15:52
  • Leah
    Curious May 2019 Ontario
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't do Save The Dates, and just sent out our Invites the other day and we are getting married in May! I think sending them out now is fine just be sure you want those people at your wedding! Also HIGHLY recommend Ambrotek Printing! They are doing our invites!!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We skipped the save the dates and sent out the invitations 9 months prior (way ahead of time) to the family in US only and hand delivered to family and friends locally. Lesson learned.
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We skipped the Save the date as well just an extra cost that we didn't see necessary. We are getting married August 4th, 2018 and sending them out about March 2018 as we have 250 including our wedding party attending and a list of people who are on a secondary list. We are having an after party but as we have such a large guest list we are sending them out early to make sure we can attempt to accommodate a few more that may have not made it.

• R
    Newbie October 2018 British Columbia
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was wondering this too! We got engaged December 2017 and getting married October 7, 2018. I will be sending out save the dates via email this month and then follow up with a paper invitation likely around June. I thought about doing an email invite but I felt some people such as family or the older generation might appreciate it. Some of them don’t even use email! I’m also having up to about 90 guests so it hasn’t been a big ordeal gathering emails and addresses. I did this by asking a few people to help (ie, my fiancee, mother and MIL) and split the guest list.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We sent our save the dates via e-mail and then sent out real invitations a few months later but we had a short engagement. I think you can send out the invites in the new year and that should still give people plenty of time.

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did email save the dates to cut down on cost and make sure people didn't plan anything else on that date and booked time off. We then sent our invites 4 months before the wedding.

• Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We skipped the save-the-dates. We are about 9 months out from our wedding, and I think we only have 2 invites left to give out (we seriously hand delivered all of our invites). I would say we started handing them out about a year in advance. If you're skipping the save-the-dates, you have to send our invites out earlier, even if people think it's too early or weird to send them so soon. Our wedding is the Saturday of August long weekend, so we sent them out maybe even earlier than we needed to, but we wanted to make sure everyone knew before they started to make plans for their long weekend. If you wait to long (even if your day isn't on a long weekend), people may start to make other plans.
  • Edith
    Beginner May 2018 Ontario
    Edith ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I did exactly the same thing! Sending a save the date email with an engagement photo as soon as we had our date. And we are planning on sending the invitations 4 months before the wedding.
  • Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We sent save the date by email to all the friends and relatives, and sending invites soon too. The majority loved getting on email and asked if invites too were being sent that way, so maybe??

• Amyfanggg
    Frequent user April 2018 Ontario
    Amyfanggg ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I sent a save the date by email using one of my engagement pictures. I was going to send the invitations 6 months ahead, but I also was told that it's too early. So I sent an electronic save the date and I will send my invitations 4 months ahead instead.
  • Jessica
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm glad go hear you also were planning on spending them out early ! We had already ordered our invites as well and had started addressing them ! This definatly helps give me a better idea of how everyone else is going about it, as our rsvp date is July ! Smiley smile thank you !
  • Ashleigh
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married at the end of August 2018. We have our invitations printed and envelopes purchased, we did this task early because it was bugging me and once we found a style that we both liked, one thing lead to another. We are hoping to send them out early and avoid doing save the date notifications as well. As we see family over Christmas, we will gather mailing addresses. I think we will send ours out in February or March. Our RSVP date is June 1st.
  • Laura
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn’t do save the dates either. We actually just told our family that we are getting married and the date. When my mother and FMIL spoke with extended family the date was passed around. I didn’t want to send them as it would also add an additional expense that I didn’t think was needed.
  • K Kimanne
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    K Kimanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Great question. I'm also getting married in September and was thinking to ditch the save the dates since I think it's a waste of money. However would love to hear other suggestions and opinions.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics