Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Darian
Newbie July 2021 New Brunswick

Invites

Darian, on January 3, 2020 at 00:39 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 13
Hey All,

I am curious what other peoples opinions are on the inviting process. Is it super tacky to make a facebook group and/or send out invites/evites? For my wedding it seems I will need to get polls and such on who needs transportation/lodging etc. I find fb platform easy to use bc I know how to manage it. Is the wedding wires website worth it? Thoughts??
Thanks in advance!

13 Comments

Latest activity by Marcie, on January 11, 2020 at 20:28
  • M
    Beginner March 2020 Ontario
    Marcie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I used WithJoy.com and it has been amazing. I would highly recommend it. It allows you to have multiple events and send invites to only specific people for certain events. It also allows you to track who has opened the invite, when, and send reminders. I have gotten a great response rate and everyone has loved that I was able to ask for dietary information, music requests, and provide lots of information in one place.

• Anna
    Newbie May 2020 Alberta
    Anna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's the year 2020 and as such we've embraced the world of digital and electronic advancements. By emailing video Save the Dates, video Wedding Invites (which included a printable PDF for INFO (works as a makeshift breakdown of the invite for those who need paper) and a link to our website via WW) we've saved so much money on postage and on paper based invites and we have felt much more environmentally friendly. Needless to say our guests absolutely loved getting our invites and how much they enjoy watching it over and over. They also have said how professional and fun this platform is. For those who may not like our approach... Well you can't please everyone. Do YOU!! AND it's what you want in the end.

Our RSVPS are being requested by email. I had made sure to email each household/couple/guest separately to ensure that I have a record of the email being sent. There was only one person who did not either know someone with an email address or have an email address themselves. He got a phone call and said he would be there. Obviously follow up as usual.
    I hope this helps you with your process!! Good luck on your big day!!
  • Lauren
    Curious July 2021 Ontario
    Lauren ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I paid for the Wedding Wire website and honestly hated it. Ended up paying for Wix instead (and wedding wire wouldn't give me a discount). So I will start by saying I do NOT recommend getting the wedding wire website.

For our engagement party, and save the dates, we sent out the invites digitally via our Wix website. We're going to send paper invites for the actual wedding invites - mainly because it makes the data collection a bit easier. One really good website for sending out invites is paperless post. You can choose a free design, and it allows you to track info easily.

I was recently invited to an engagement party via Facebook and I didn't think it was weird. I personally don't think I would want to do it that way but I can't put my finger on why I feel that way.

To be honest, I don't think there's a perfect digital platform for invites. I've been really disappointed that websites like Wedding Wire and Wix can't quite seem to figure it out. But honestly, in even a month after the wedding, will a single person remember the invite, or care? No, I don't think so. So do what's best for you!

• S
    Newbie July 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Does anyone know if you can customize the wedding invite that Wedding Wire has to send out? It's basically just a photo with some very basic text and it's kind of blah. I plan to design my own digitally and would just like to be able to upload the invite and send it. Any ideas?

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Invitations are based on couples that feel paper is their way of putting into memories and going online saving on the cost of actual mailing postage.

I have seen 50/50 done. 2 of my cousins did online as few have gone printed invites route. You two need to know which version is better and how you want to set it up making the best cost efficiency of putting the details and responding manner.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I find tons of people are doing online invites now a days. most my friends are using peoples email and a website with all the info that could an option as opposed to using fb messenger

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally, I think its still considered tacky to receive an online invitation for a formal event. I also highly suggest doing a website vs. a facebook group for information. Most guests will go to your website once for info/registry, rsvp and that's it, so if you're hoping to use facebook as a discussion forum, you might be disappointed in the level of activity. I do recommend doing online RSVPs vs. mail though! We had our guests RSVP on our website with great success and it saved us lots on paper and postage (the older generation will have difficulties. you will have to hold their hand into the future lol).

Usually there's an option to have an accommodations page on the website. Our wedding was an hour out of the city, so we had booked a hotel block, but also gave suggestions of other hotels or airbnbs nearby, as well as the number for the local taxi service.

We ordered our paper invitations through Minted, and also used their website services. I know lots of couples use The Knot for their website, so if you're not a fan of the Weddingwire one, you can check that one out.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Although I prefer the method that I used (sent paper invitations but had the wedding website listed as well as had them RSVP via email/text/call), my Cousin in-law first did a FB group page followed by a paper invite. Had she only done the FB invite it was a bit informal - maybe if she had added a wedding website that looked more official it would have been good enough to do it all online though?

At the same time you have to remember not everybody has access to the internet or has a FB account!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I always prefer paper invitations. If you do evites or online there’s always people who don’t have internet or email so you have to end up doing something else for them anyways.

Paper is definitely more expensive but I always love getting an invite in the mail!
  • Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding website is on withjoy.com and you can send out email invitations there. The RSVP also includes any questions you'd like, so you can ask about who needs transportation/lodging. We sent everything online and didn't have an issue with it. 😊
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you'll still need some physical invites for your less tech savvy family or people who aren't on Facebook. For those you could put a paper copy of the survey in to come back with an RSVP card.

For everyone else Facebook or a wedding website (there are a lot to chose from) would work, and like you most people are comfortable with Facebook and might be more likely to reply and give you the information you need.
  • Shelly
    Newbie July 2020 Alberta
    Shelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m personally sending invites that are far out by mail others I’m hand delivering. All my RSVP are coming back to my email to save on postage and that way I can manually make each arrangement by I am having a small wedding.
  • Emily
    Expert September 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have been wondering the same thing, especially to save on postage! I feel like actual paper invites have to go out to some people as they don’t use Facebook, but I’ve been thinking a Facebook group for our “save the date” might work... I hope others comment with helpful insight 🙏😅

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics