Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Chanelle
Beginner July 2021 Alberta

Invitations and Restrictions

Chanelle, on January 27, 2021 at 22:52 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 16

Hey guys!

July 10, 2021 wedding here. This is my postponed date as I was previously a 2020 bride.

I sent all my guests invites for last year then obviously cancelled. But now what? I know everyone will not be able to attend due to restrictions.

My questions are:

- When are you all sending new invites when things are so unknown!

- How do you tell guests they aren't invited due to covid? call them? Text? Facebook post?

Ahh!

16 Comments

Latest activity by Courtney, on February 1, 2021 at 09:10
  • Courtney
    Curious June 2021 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had a friend that updated most of her guest on Facebook, stating that a new invitation with their new date would be sent out soon.

I'll probably do the same if we decide to postpone. Along with updates on the wedding website.
  • C
    Beginner August 2021 Ontario
    Claudia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You broadcast the wedding so everyone who doesn't attend it in person, can still be part of it. Ask your photographer!
  • T
    Curious July 2021 Alberta
    Teri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am supposed to be getting married June 2021, we are planning on sending invites out as numbers change. I believe there was talk of hospital numbers in Alberta have to be at 300 and lower until restrictions can loosen on guest counts. And hospital numbers have to be 100 and lower to look at having receptions. So it will probably be cutting it close to our date. Our guests are aware the final number will be determined by restrictions. I did see some nice worded cards on Etsy about having to downsize due to restrictions. Invitations and Restrictions 1

Invitations and Restrictions 2

• Michelle
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're aiming for a Sept 2021 gathering of 50 people and sending all communications via email in case we have to send follow up save the dates/change the dates. Plan A is that it's safe by then, Plan B: the venue is closed, we email everyone to say we're going to pick a new date for the celebration, but we'll have a backyard legal ceremony with our parents and our MOH/Best Man and take things as they come.

Basically, everyone is kind of understanding about limitations right now, and most people understand that you won't want to postpone forever. So whether that means you won't be able to have everyone you originally invited, or have to keep rescheduling, they'll most likely be supportive of your decisions.

Regarding how to communicate it, whatever makes sense for you! If you're closer to the guests, maybe a call or personal conversation, whereas an email or text for other guests would probably be okay. Use your wedding website and tell people to check back for updates if they're confused or want to know what's going on Smiley smile

• Lorraine
    Lorraine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Due to the restrictions (10 people in Alberta) we are only having our family there which is about 20 people. If we are still have restrictions then we are only having our sets of parents at the wedding. Then when we can we will have a party with everyone. I think by the time I will have a idea to go with feeding 20 people of feeding the sets us and the sets of parents.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Any social media your guests use or paper updates are good to give your guests a heads up the date change as to the pandemic since all the other information will remain the same. You want to email them for updates, its also good to have them do so to know than sending another update card after the recent.

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We sent out our invites knowing we likely would have to cut the guest list but wanted to know who is actually comfortable coming and who isn't. We included a small card insert saying things may change and we will let people know, and we will have it professionally live streamed for those who aren't comfortable attending. When the RSVP date came, we did have to cut down to 50 but not by as many as we anticipated as many weren't comfortable coming or couldn't travel. Our website is on withjoy and it has made it so easy to make all these changes! We sent emails saying we cannot have everyone and will be in touch (we called everyone who RSVP'd yes that we couldn't have). 10 days out we then had to send an update with a new date as we went into lockdown. It's made the heartbreaking process so much easier and EVERYONE understands (if they didn't, we'd have other issues). We made it as clear as possible that the same people we were having on NYE are the same people for our new date (if the date still works for them - not sure what else they have planned during covid 🤣 - ans they're still comfortable). If you cancelled your original wedding and didn't send out a new date with the cancellation notice, I'd assume you can just send invites to those invited to the current wedding and not have to contact the others to tell them they aren't invited... Everyone is going through this (not necessarily planning a wedding) and should understand and realize numbers add up fast. If you do have to let them know (I could be misunderstanding as you said postponed and cancelled) I personally would be calling - as we did when we had to let people know we can't have them now. The calls were hard and uncomfortable but also reminded us how amazing the people in our lives are and the personalization was very much appreciated.
  • Gioia
    Frequent user July 2021 Quebec
    Gioia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I am doing the same thing for my July 2021 wedding. Also it is the best option for us in Montreal incase if restrictions change and can immediately email all guests to update them on the situation as time goes by closer to the date!
  • Tamanna
    Curious June 2021 Ontario
    Tamanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi there, we have a June 2021 wedding and we ordered all cards for the initially planned 70 guests, we're going to mail them all out in February. On the RSVP card we included "Please provide your email so you can keep you posted if plans change due to COVID19 pandemic". We're sending cards to everybody so that way they feel included and it's upto them to decline invitation for safety/restrictions and worst case scenario we email the people who will RSVP that we're having a tiny elopement instead and we'll celebrate together some other time. I've posted a similar thing here as well and everyone's advice really helped me figure this out Smiley smile
  • Stefanie
    Devoted August 2021 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am in the same position August 8 rescheduled to August 24, 2021. Right now my plan is to wait until closer to have a better idea on number of guests but I will send out to those that are "for sure" at the point but include the wedding website incase there are any changes. We may do it in batches as numbers increase as well from there. Those that are "uninvited" I plan to live stream the ceremony so I am going to send a post card or email them and get them to check our the wedding website for more information on that. I will have them rsvp maybe even under a streaming category.
  • L
    Newbie March 2020 British Columbia
    Linda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm in the same position as my June 2020 wedding was postponed to June 2021 but of course it looks like restrictions will still be in place. As I don't want to change the date again i plan to send out a Wedding update card approximately 4-6 weeks prior once we know what numbers will be allowed. I don't think people will be surprised of the changes and wouldn't be upset if they are no longer invited, everyone understands the circumstances. Hopefully, we can have a fun anniversary party in a couple of years to celebrate properly.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We'll be sending out invites the middle of May when we make a final decision about our August 7th wedding. If we have to postpone again because of gathering restrictions haven't eased up we will let everyone know once again.

My fiance and I had started out with a guest list of 75 and now we're sitting at 42. We have talked about a, b, and c list. All of our immediate family will be group A, close friends will be group B and the rest will be group C. Once we start sending out the invites for group A and see who have said yes to coming or not coming, we will then start with group B and so forth.

We've both come to realization that our wedding guest list will not have everyone that we wanted there and our wedding will be a bit smaller but at the end of the day we want to make sure everyone is safe and healthy.

• Chanelle
    Chanelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks! I will check that out

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Most sites should let you send updates to your guests. Withjoy allows you to email updates.

• Chanelle
    Chanelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The one I set up does not let me update people or make posts. What have you used where you can do that? I might need to make a switch!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Did you already have a wedding website set up from when you sent the initial invites? If so, I would use that as the "home base" for source of information.

Some people are re-sending invites to everyone with the disclaimer that their attendance is pending covid but others are doing it batch by batch (first 10, then another 15, then another 25 etc). What you do will be based on what works best for you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics