Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joanna
Curious May 2021 Ontario

Invitation wording for virtual ceremony

Joanna, on February 4, 2021 at 19:24 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 10
Hello friends!

My fiancé and I are going to be finalizing our plans this weekend (been avoiding the conversation!) which will likely lead to a virtual ceremony and a postponed reception in December.
Our wedding date is May 1, 2021, so I had planned to send our invitations this month. Our ceremony will only include immediate family and hopefully our wedding party of the numbers allow.
I’m struggling on how to handle the wording. I was think on our main invite, to say something like “we invite you to join us, virtually, as we exchange our vows” and add the date and time with “details and more information will be available on our wedding website”. Then, on a reception card, have the more traditional wording “join us to celebrate our marriage” with reception date and time?
It’s so awkward! Ugh, wish this wasn’t the position we’re in but it is what it is.
What are you doing? What are your thoughts on invitation wording? I can’t find many examples that fit this specific situation, they are more communications after the fact. Bahhh!!

10 Comments

Latest activity by Joanna, on February 18, 2021 at 20:15
  • Joanna
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Joanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for providing so much detail! This is very helpful! I tend to get overwhelmed looking at things I’m not familiar with so I greatly appreciate you taking the time to explain your process. It’s sounds like you’ve thought of everything, and I wish you the VERY best wedding day! 💕
  • Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m not sure about other services besides zoom.

-We have one person coming to the actual wedding in person who will be streaming the video and making sure it is pointed in the right directions (also it will be recording so that we can have our wedding recorded to watch later).
    -Separately, we have a friend who will be signed in to cohost. This friend isn’t able to be at our wedding in person. They will welcome everyone to the wedding and make sure things are running smoothly. You can have a bunch of cohosts assigned. Another friend will be a 2nd co host and that persons job is to let people in from the zoom waiting room. So we have 3 people running zoom.
    - At the end we will make a quick announcement to the zoom attendees is that we will say our main speech thanking everyone for coming and how much it means to us and everything. We will say we are on a short timeline but we will be briefly jumping through the rooms to say hi to everyone. People would still be on mute at this point.
    -While we make this speech, one cohost will be putting everyone divided into breakout rooms.
    -Then we will room jump and say bye to everyone.
    Before we go on zoom everyone will see us do our first dances and everything.
    We are upgrading to the $65 plan for the month of the wedding. You can have 500 connections which works great! We didn’t need 500 but there’s no in between number besides the 100 then it jumps straight to 500.
    That’s such a cute idea for the favours!
    For logistics we are just collecting emails and giving people email save the dates. We will check in for rsvps closer to the wedding date.
    We will have a zoom invite list so that the people letting guests into zoom will only let friends in. There’s someone I don’t want attending on there so it’s a security thing for the waiting room because they can deny someone.
    I hope this helps!
  • Joanna
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Joanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the idea!
    How are you tackling the “virtual” part? Do you have a person putting guests in breakout rooms? Breakout rooms is such a good idea so it’s not so overwhelming staring at pages of squares... or everyone trying to speak at once!
    I’m so curious... been thinking about should I invest in a steaming company vs just using zoom? And then how to have a moment with virtual guests. I saw this cute idea of sending a care package to those virtual guests of a mini champagne and cupcake...so cute!! (Again, logistic nightmare, but nice touch)
  • Alexis
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For our invites to people who we plan to include in person, we have directly on the invite
    “Subject to covid restrictions
    By invitation only”I think everyone understands that it’s a hard time to plan a wedding and hopefully won’t be insulted if they have to be invited to join via zoom instead
  • Alexis
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Why not word it the same as a regular wedding invite but instead of providing a physical location, give the zoom info?
    We plan to room hop on zoom after the wedding to say quick hi’s to everyone. But we will have a timer in each room so we don’t get out of control with it lol
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The wedding invitation for virtual wording sounds great since they will be aware of the details provided though the reception invite should be left out until you know your plans are set towards the time of the celebrations held until next year. The invites can be Anniversary or Reception based on your choice for your full guest list to be present.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

For the reception, absolutely. There's just too many unknowns and unless you're willing to rescind an invite, you should wait.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with Hank, no need to mention the reception until you're closer and know more of what's going on.

I think any kind of "join us virtually to witness/celebrate the marriage of" works well. Make sure to add the time zone to the ceremony time! My brother in another province almost missed ours! People are expecting virtual ceremonies a lot more now, so it won't be as much of a surprise as weddings last May would have been.
  • Joanna
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Joanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Hank! Do you feel its too early to provide that information?

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My opinion is to not mention the reception. Send that as a separate invite when the time comes. Just a simple "We invite you to virtually join us in witnessing the marriage between Joanna and JoannaFH on May 1, 2021" would suffice plus any details like link, time etc, especially since you won't know how many can attend at this time and who you'll invite as a result.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics