Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner September 2021 Ontario

Invitation wording

Karli, on December 29, 2019 at 22:21 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8
Trying to figure out how to word our invitations. We are both in our 40's. He has a 24 year old daughter (E.R.T.) from a previous relationship. We have a 5 year old daughter (E.K.T) together. He has never been married, I was married for a short time when I was quite young. We have been together 6 years. He lost his dad 5 years ago and his mom this past spring. Seeing as we are not young, and both his parents have passed, I am trying to avoid the wording with 'parents ask you to join us etc' but would like it to be something with 'the girls inviting you to join us etc'. My issue is I am in no way a step mom, mother figure etc to his older daughter. I dont refer to her as my step daughter. She was 18 when i came into her life and didnt need a mother figure. I love her like my daughter and she does or is at least invited to everything we do as a family even though she lives away.

I thought ofE.R.T & E.K.T. Invite you to join them in the marriage of their parents.Detail detail details
But I feel like I am forcing me being a parent on his older daughter

8 Comments

Latest activity by Tori, on January 2, 2020 at 12:29
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't feel like it's absolutely necessary to include their names - but if you do then don't think of it as the older one not really being yours, but rather she is FOR SURE his daughter and that's why her name would be on there. Even if she doesn't see you as a Mother-figure she see's her Dad as her Dad.

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I like the idea of “together with their families...” but only if that makes sense for you both. Would you feel comfortable asking his daughter what she thinks?
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would just put your names on the invitations! dont put anyone elses names but your guys names

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think a pretty standard invite wording is something along the lines of 'together with their family(ies), ____ & ____ invite you to celebrate their marriage." I think the people who are listed as doing the inviting traditionally are the ones paying for the wedding, but in your case I don't think it would be inappropriate.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When my parents got married later in life they just used their names on the invite. They included us in other ways during the ceremony and reception.
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You could have your daughters' names there if you really wanted to.

The etiquette is that the hosts extend the invitation to the guests. When it is the parents of the couple requesting a guest's attendance it is because that is who is hosting/paying.

If you and your fiance are hosting the wedding, you would extend the invitation yourself. If your daughters extend the invitation, then you are implying they are hosting the wedding. It could be cute and, had we done invitations I may have done the same, but it isn't quite what is intended.
    I hope that helps.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've read that only formal events use the parents names, but really it is up to the two of you.

Including your shared family is lovely, but it can also just be "you're invited to the marriage/wedding/union of" or "x and y invite you to the celebration of their marriage".
    All the old "rules" can be tossed out the window!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I like thought of putting the girls names on the invitation though they can be put on the program or thanked in the speech. Families names should be put on the invitation to be more formal.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics