Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Marcia
Super August 2018 Manitoba

Invitation time vs. ceremony start time

Marcia, on May 24, 2018 at 13:08 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 15

I didn't think about this until after we sent out our invitations. Our ceremony Invite time on our invitations is 4:00pm (which should be our start time). But as i'm working on my timeline I've moved our ceremony time (when the processional music starts) to 4:10 so that people will have time to arrive and take their seats. Is this typical? I know some guest don't like when weddings start late (especially if they arrive early). Anyone else doing this?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on May 29, 2018 at 11:03
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wedding timings may start a few minutes later so your ok. Once you get to your destination and meet up with your wedding party, the walk in should be good to start.
  • Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I am just going to start the ceremony at 4:00pm and hope everyone comes on time Smiley smile.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Fair enough! Hope all goes well Erin!

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep! I work as an event coordinator, and I know that you have to be AS CLEAR AS POSSIBLE with people. Again, I'm not super worried about my family, since we've had a ton of weddings, but with how complicated mine is going to be, I'd rather avoid any confusion.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Very True! Sometimes you have to spell it out for people!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our invitations said that everything started at 4. Since we had transportation picking people up we knew that everyone would arrive early.

Most people know that if an event like a wedding is starting at 4 then they need to be there a bit ahead of time. I don't think you need to change your time to have a buffer zone.

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, BUT - and I hate to say this about my family - my philosophy when dealing with people, especially large groups of people, has been to KEEP IT SIMPLE.

I also have a bit of a special case, since my ceremony will be private, so I need to do TWO invites - one for people who are attending the ceremony and one for people who are not.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what I'm going to do too so people can prepare! Although if you already said 4pm on the invite, most guests should know that's when the ceremony starts, not when to arrive.

• Suraiya
    Beginner July 2018 Quebec
    Suraiya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My invitations also say 4 but I'm giving a 15 buffer just so people can take their seats, say hi to each other and of course traffic. I think if you know your guestlist well enough that is key. But I think it's a good idea to give a bit of a buffer time
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't move it to 4.10 and leave it at 4.

Most people know that if the ceremony starts at 4PM to get there a bit before to sit.

You'll have guests starting to arrive about 30 minutes in advance. The groom/groomsmen should be there about an hour in advance to greet people.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The majority of people that see an invite with 4pm ceremony start. will be there 10 minutes before. so I personally would stick to the 4pm start time. and if you are a couple of minutes late starting. no biggie (also common)

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm going to make it VERY clear on my invitations: Please arrive by ____, Ceremony starts at ____, Reception starts at____, etc.
  • Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My invitations say 5, that's when the officiant will start the ceremony. I'm hopefully assuming that my guests will all show up early and be seated by 4:45pm as that is the schedule we were given. but the official ceremony will start at 5:00pm.

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The time on the invitation should be the time you plan on starting your processional. That’s really the start of the whole ceremony. People should know to arrive before that time. In my experience most people arrive about 10-15 mins before the time listed on the invitation.
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My ceremony starts at 4 as well, so we're hoping for processional by 3:50-ish so we can start on time

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics