Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Erinn
Curious October 2022 Saskatchewan

Invitation Design

Erinn, on April 5, 2022 at 23:21 Posted in DIY 1 35
Hello Brides!

I have been playing around on a few different websites trying to design our wedding invitations. I am having such a hard time deciding on the style as well as which website to go through! What are some fellow 2022 (or 2023) invites looking like? Are you doing a photo design or a more classic, writing only invite? Which website are you using? I’ve looked into shutterfly, vistaprint, minted, and optimal print!l Too many options for the indecisive bride to be!

35 Comments

Latest activity by Leilani, on July 31, 2022 at 16:36
  • Leilani
    Beginner October 2022 Ontario
    Leilani ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I used an app called green island for a customizable design. Then I added some other elements like gold foil. Just to customize it a little bit more I made myself an envelope liner, added silk ribbons and dried flower and eucalyptus and wax seal.Invitation Design 1

Invitation Design 2

• C
    Curious August 2022 Ontario
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I made our STDs and the invitations. We are having a small wedding and I'm a creative person so I went ahead and designed, printed, cut and assembled my own.

Our STDs we're printed on seed paper and I also made a magnet out of a thin wood round and heat transfer vinyl for people to keep on their fridges.
    For the invitations I really wanted something simple (design wise) and that had a photo element. Our invitations were a photo of the sunset from our cottage and then a vellum sheet ontop that I embossed. I wanted to give people as much information as I could to reduce the amount of questions (that didn't really work 🙄 in-laws are the best...) so there was a directions card, week-of "activities", suggested packing list and a little note card explaining things.

That being said I did use Canva as my design tool to make spacing and colours more user friendly. If you don't want to DIY I would definitely suggest Etsy templates and printing them with Vistaprint/Staples..Invitation Design 3
    Invitation Design 4
    Invitation Design 5
  • Lissa
    Devoted October 2022 Ontario
    Lissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!
    They turned out so well and I even made custom stamps through Canada post. It was about $40 more but they’re so cool! Invitation Design 6

• Alma
    Beginner July 2023 Alberta
    Alma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You can always “send message to sender”. I love Etsy
  • Alma
    Beginner July 2023 Alberta
    Alma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    They are stunning
  • Erinn
    Erinn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s awesome!! So glad they turned out 😊
  • Lissa
    Lissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I ordered my invites from zazzle on a Friday and they delivered the following Wednesday !
    Overall pretty happy with them. A little colour variation between each item but they all still coordinate so I’m not too bothered Invitation Design 7

• Yami
    Frequent user October 2022 Ontario
    Yami ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Got a template from Etsy and having it printed from Staples! Also chose the website withjoy for our wedding website! It handles the registry and rsvp and so easy to use!
  • Stacey
    Stacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I just wish we could reach out to the person creating them, lol.
  • Erinn
    Erinn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was the same way! Had them in my cart forever and finally went through with it! They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee so that put me at ease a little bit. Hope that helps!
  • Stacey
    Stacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm also ordering through Zazzle. I have them completed, but affriad to add to cart and pay. What if I get them and I notice a few things off.
    I wonder if they do a little revising before they print, to ensure everything lines up correctly, etc. 🤔 You know how everything looks great on the screen and the you print and can see the smallest errors.

• Rebecca
    Expert October 2023 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

heres mine Smiley smile

im also trying to figure out what signage we will need as well

Invitation Design 8

• Lissa
    Lissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yay can’t wait to see how they turned out. I just got the notice that the stickers are done and shipped so shouldn’t be too long now for everything else to be ready
  • Erinn
    Erinn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Your invites are beautiful! I also just ordered ours off of Zazzle the other day! I can’t wait to see ours in person!
  • Lissa
    Lissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I finally got around to designing our invites etc. yesterday and I can’t wait for them to arrive!

I used zazzle for everything. I started with the invitation template and then made everything else using different templates they had but changed the colour and fonts to match on all of the items for a cohesive look.
    I’ll be making belly bands out of vellum myself to go around the invite and detail card
    (I blocked out all the personal details in the screenshots below, but you get the idea) Invitation Design 9

• Erinn
    Erinn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Your invitations are beautiful! Thanks so much for the advice, there’s so many options online it’s hard to know what it website to go with ensuring quality at a decent price!! It’s nice to get pointers from someone with lots of experience 😊
  • KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Brittany, we looked at Michaels during a recent sale, they only had bits and pieces of the design we were looking for. We are going to go back look at a later date but we are definitely going to be making our own.

• B
    Newbie June 2023 Ontario
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you are looking to DIY your invitations, my sister bought her's from Michael's. Her wedding was 2019 they were very elegant and we got the boxes when they had the 50% off coupons and they were $25 a box and then you go to the site they have instructions in the box and you use the template they have set up. It took a bit of work but well worth it if trying to safe cost. Just have to weigh the option of ink.

• Danielle
    Frequent user April 2022 Ontario
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m a graphic designer so I designed my own - We had sent out digital invites with both photo and type and then I made these faux print ones for photos - All typography on the front and the back is a photo from our engagement session. Serif fonts are really popular yet classic so that’s always a lovely choice. Just beware, I ordered a ton from vista print with my own design and they had to reprint them three times because of printer errors so give yourself extra time to push back if that happens. Their prices are good and so is colour/print quality (when they get it right) I recommend having them printed as postcards - add the soft touch.. every guest and client I’ve ever had loves soft touch. You could probably get a template from Etsy then print as postcard - it’s crazy but it’s waaaaaay cheaper than using the actual invite option on the website!!Invitation Design 10

• Rachay
    Curious August 2022 Ontario
    Rachay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it depends on if you want to go the traditional route of sending paper invites or the digital route. I went the digital route and sent my invites via Green Envelope. There were so many designs to choose from as a base, you also can completely start fresh or import a previous design you created from your computer.

All you need to do is input your guests' names and emails (can even import this from an excel sheet) and the site will auto-send these invites out to everyone and you can track RSVPs as well.

You can design the envelope as well, it's actually pretty neat and cost-effective!

• KELLY
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Absolutely! Sign up for their emails- they have 50% off sales throughout the year Smiley smile

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! Smiley heart

• Courtney
    Beginner August 2023 Alberta
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I started my wedding website on the knot because they had my favourite theme. They also have corresponding stationary that matches the theme of the website, but I found it really difficult to get the invitations shipped to Canada. I took screenshots of the greenery accents on the website and designed my own invite through Canva based on the knot design. I plan on having them printed off through the UPS store as they will print postcards front and back 100 cards for $57.

I've used Vistaprint before for a friends wedding and while I loved the ability to customize and upload my own design, they don't offer a true 5x7 size that I wanted for our invitations.

For our save the dates, I will be printing out pictures of our engagement session and using vellum sheets and my cricut to create a cover for the photos. That way, they can keep the photo if they would like to as a card is just going to get thrown out.

• Erinn
    Erinn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I just looked into Zazzle and I really like their design choices! Thanks for the recommendation!
  • Erinn
    Erinn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Beautiful!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just finished ours through Gartner Studios

Invitation Design 11

• KELLY
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have been looking invitations for a while. With the small quantity we need, we found by ordering through a Stationer was hitting the $2000 mark with many charging a design fee. We are seriously considering making our own or ordering them online through Zazzle. They have sooo many styles to choose from and it supports artists. We ordered samples and they were very nice and good quality.

• Audrey
    Frequent user July 2022 Ontario
    Audrey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am using wedding wires website, and I hate to say it but don't recommend. The options for collecting people's food restrictions, guest names, and data included in the report, well, are non existent. Also I wanted my invitations etc to batch my wedding website design bit WW doesn't offer this service (lost bossiness opportunity there!). I went with WW bc I really liked the design I found and the colors match my wedding palette. So I made my own invitations etc and printed with Vista print and couldn't have been happier with the quality and price. And the support at Vista print was excellent too.
  • Amanda
    Curious November 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We used Zazzle & are so happy with the quality and cost! We did our entire invitation suite with them, save the dates, invitations, rsvp cards, details, menus and self addressed return labels for our rsvp envelopes. Everything was approx $320. Which was way under our budget, we just made sure to buy during one of their MANY 50% off sales. We found a beautiful design that matched our colours perfectly and then edited the text to match our needs including space to have our guests pre select their dinners. I'm so in love with our invitations and can't wait to send them out soon.
  • Erinn
    Erinn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Great advice! I never would have thought to purchase as a regular post card!

• Erinn
    Erinn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for your advice! I will definitely avoid Minted now!!

• Stephanie
    Newbie July 2022 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think design is such an individual choice. We opted for a simpler design on invitations with lots of photos on our Wedding Website.

I ordered my Save the Dates from VistaPrint and was really happy. VistaPrint has fewer options for customizing the products but the quality was great.

I ordered invitations through Minted because they offered more options for customization. Would not recommend. When the invitations arrived, there were misprints. The envelopes also don't stay closed, luckily we had stickers to use. It was a headache.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics