Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner October 2018 Ontario

Intimate wedding: brunch or dinner?

Samantha, on June 27, 2017 at 10:54 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11

My fiance and I are hoping we can have a small wedding of 25-50 people. My family is used to having the gigantic guest list, extravagant dinner, DJ & dancing etc. We're not comfortable doing all that. We'd rather have the people nearest and dearest to us at the reception and invite everyone++ to the ceremony or somehow have a housewarming a month later with everyone...

We love having brunch together and I thought it'd be a neat way to have a simple, elegant reception with 50ppl, orrr a 25 person dinner...assuming it costs about the same?

I'm just worried that our families will be confused by a brunch reception and as bad as it sounds, not gift enough $ to cover their plates. Or that it won't have a wedding vibe. I've been told "that's not a wedding"...pretty sure if the ceremony papers are signed, it is.

I'm not trying to be cheap by choosing brunch or a small guest list. But we are being practical in the sense that we'd rather spend money on a house/down payment than a party. Plus we're more introverted and feel our day would be best if we're not overwhelmed.

Has anyone planned a Brunch Wedding or an Intimate Dinner!? Thoughts?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Kate, on July 1, 2017 at 06:40
  • Kate
    Expert July 2017 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have 20 people coming to our Wedding, we are doing a light meal after. Sandwiches, salads, etc, No need to spend a lot of money on food and plus it's your day.

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A co worker of mine did a brunch and it was beautiful and intimate. Everything else was the same as a dinner wedding, ceremony, pictures, games, brunch. I think it's a nice idea honestly. It's kind of "original" too and I like that.
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely don't want any hangry people!
  • Natalie
    Curious June 2017 Quebec
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Samantha! My hubby and I did a brunch wedding and it was the best idea ever Smiley smile we chose to serve brunch since it had a special meaning to us and it was the more budget friendly option. Like you, we set a budget and preferred to save money on more long-term items like a house. Some of my more traditional family members weren't initially too sure about the unvonventional timeline or food choices but people still showed their support and had a nice time. A wedding is more than just a plate of food Smiley smile It all depends on the vibe too. Ours was still very much a wedding because we had flowers, the ceremony, the reception room, speeches, etc. But most the mportant thing is that your guests feel the love and happiness that your hubby and you will share Smiley smile It's a celebration of you both no matter how big or small the affair! As for the gifts you'll be receiving i wouldn't worry too much as you can't control this. In our case, some guests were very generous and others more modest so it kind of evened out. It didn't really matter that much un the end because we were just happy people could share in our day!
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It was an outdoor event so they had a big tent with tables set up and it was a catered plated brunch. Instead of dancing they just played kind of jazzy music or classical music so it wasn't dead quiet and awkward haha. They mingled after the brunch and they had some lawn games set up and people just slowly filtered out throughout the afternoon. By 3 it was done I believe. It was a while ago so I don't remember exactly!
  • S
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Good point. Plus I don't want people getting hangry during the ceremony since they probably won't eat breakfast at home before coming out for another breakfast...

• S
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes! That's another pro to brunch..no awkward dancing. What did they do instead? How did people know it was time to leave?

• Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My friend had a a Sunday brunch wedding with about 60 people and it went great! They aren't the dancey extravagant type so it was perfect for them. I say if that's more your thing you should totally do it!
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Brunch sounds like a great idea. The only thing I would do is to think of a good time for the ceremony that's not so early that people are too tired to celebrate :-)

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think brunch is a great idea if that's what you really want. I agree that as long as the papers are signed it is a wedding so do what makes you happy. I agree with Laura about the gifting.

• Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think the brunch sounds lovely! I will also say that you can't control what people gift you. I am asking for cash instead of gifts but if no one gives me anything I still want them at my wedding. Smiley smileSmiley heart

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics