Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hank
Featured September 2021 Ontario

Insurance for Wedding/engagement Ring?

Hank, on September 15, 2020 at 23:14 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 18

Did anyone insure their engagement rings and wedding bands? If so, did you do it through your home insurance or another company? How much does it cost?

For those who didn't, are you planning to and just didn't get around to it? If not, what made you decide not to get it.

18 Comments

Latest activity by Kayla, on September 21, 2020 at 15:51
  • Kayla
    Curious July 2021 Ontario
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We haven't looked into it, however a friend of ours said it will be super expensive due to the price of my engagement ring being in the $$$$$ range. Waiting until we get the wedding bands done then we'll see how much a year. I'm not sure how it all works but I'm sure it won't be cheap. Apparently, Ontario rates are ridiculously expensive compared to other provinces. But we shall see! Let us know who you decide to go with.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'll look into that. Thanks!
  • Alana
    Frequent user July 2022 Ontario
    Alana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I originally insured my engagement ring with my homeowners insurance (I believe it was approx. $150/year) but I didn't like that they didn't cover everything (they did not cover loss or certain damages). So we went with Jewellers Mutual. It's about $70/year and it covers everything. My fiancé bought my ring at James Allen and his account with JM is now connected to JA should we need any repairs.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good to know there's a reasonable rate in Ontario. Will have to keep shopping around. Hope to find something decent in the Toronto area.

• Nicole
    Beginner October 2021 Ontario
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We insured my engagement ring with the same company as our house and auto insurance. For $150 more a year it covers the cost for any damage and will fully replace it if lost or stolen. We don't have our wedding bands yet, but will most likely insure those as well.

• Michelle
    Frequent user June 2023 British Columbia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! He bought it in a jewelry store that does consignment. He lucked out finding it. And lucky for me it’s set in platinum 🥰🥰

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Very nice! Was this passed down from a family or did he buy it in a vintage store?

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha sorry, to be more clear, I meant content insurance or whatever. The house has to have insurance but no extra insurance on what’s inside 😂

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Whoa whoa whoa...Is home insurance not mandatory in BC? lol

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Pictures don’t quite to it justice! It is the most sparkly diamonds I have personally seen. I was shocked when he gave it to me 🥰 it’s from the 1950’s

Insurance for Wedding/engagement Ring? 1

Insurance for Wedding/engagement Ring? 2

Insurance for Wedding/engagement Ring? 3

Insurance for Wedding/engagement Ring? 4

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That’s so expensive! I’m going to investigate in BC. Maybe get house insurance while I’m at it 🙄😝

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We haven’t gotten insurance yet and I’m not sure we will. Both my engagement and wedding rings were well priced and although it wouldn’t be ideal, it wouldn’t be financially difficult for us to repair or replace either of them. I feel like we’ll end up paying more in insurance than they’re worth.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lucky you. Maybe it's because Ontario insurance rates are stupidly high but adding the rings will add a good $300+ per year on our policy.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would love to see a picture of your bling! lol

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We added it to our homeowners policy with our insurance company. I didn't see any change to our rates after adding it.
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I want to but simple procrastination and lazy lol my engagement ring is about 14,000, so I really should get insurance. Thanks for the reminder lol 😜

• Kaitlyn
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Kaitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't done it yet but I would like to. I need to get my engagement ring appraised first but I am not sure if it makes sense to wait until I have my wedding band as well.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did with my wedding band and engagement ring since it's almost $6500 for both pieces. I had put it with our house insurance. I have put extra insurance on the two items for I think $200 more for the year.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics