Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Master July 2018 Alberta

Influential Couples in your lives

Stephanie, on April 17, 2018 at 02:18 Posted in WeddingWire 0 10

Hey lovebirds!

Who do you have in your life that is a great influence for you and your partner? Anyone you want to model your relationship after? Anyone that has taught you lots about love and relationships?

Or, flipside, anyone who you have learned what NOT to do?

My grandpa always called my grandma beautiful! Even as she felt she looked really old, he always called her "my beauty". He also had hot feet and preferred his feet not be covered while he slept, but my grandma had cold feet. He would keep his feet under the blanket next to hers until hers warmed up, then stick his feet out from under the blanket! And, he died holding her hand. My grandma ended up dying about 5 months later. She hadn't been sick but after my grandpa died she discovered she had cancer. They were both in their 80s, having been married for over 60 years!

10 Comments

Latest activity by Holly, on April 19, 2018 at 17:58
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That is such an adorable story!
    Our influential couple would probably be my FHs Nana and Pepe. I never got to meet his Pepe but I've heard amazing stories about how they were the perfect couple, best friends! And my FHs dad (who is the least emotion showing, sentimental person ever!!) said one day that he is so proud of who his son has become because how he treats me and how we are best friends, he said he has never seen another couple like us other than my fiance's Nana and Pepe (not his dad's parents). They also meant the world to my fiance, they really were his favourite people ever. Everyone says since we resemble them so much as a couple it's only fitting that I have her engagement ring.
  • Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What a beautiful love story, your grandparents are definitely inspiration Smiley heart

My parents have been married for over 20 years so I look up to them. I also get influence and inspiration from other couples I meet in my day to day life. But most of all my fiancé and I look for inspiration from God and bible readings, which has taught us a lot about love, life and marriage. We are also currently in pre-martial classes so there are lots of newlywed couples, couples that are remarried and also couples that have been married for over 30 years so we get a lot of inspiration from the class as well.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your grandparents sound so sweet!! I love that story! Smiley heart

My parents have been (and to continue) to be a great model for me! They are going over 35 years strong and are all about compromise. They did an awesome job while we were growing up of never fighting publicly, and compromising with each other on all decisions! They also work together (and always have) which is insane.
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow! This has me in tears so beautiful! I look up to my grandparents as well they’re so sweet and humorous with each other.
    My fiancé’s parents and my parents are both good influences as well which is why we decided to get married in between their anniversary dates (my parents is the weekend after and his is the weekend before ours). I also look up to a really good friend of mine who is one of my bridesmaids. Her and her husband met when we were in high school and they’ve been married 10 years already now with three children. I feel so far behind compared to them even though she’s the same age as me lol but great influencers too and they show that young couples can make it!
    We’re blessed to have so many great couples to look up to!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh my goodness. Your grandparents sound like the cutest people ever. Beautiful story Smiley smile

My mom & step-dad have been together 18 years, and they choose to make each other a priority every day. They are my inspiration. I don't think you need to be together for a long time to be a great couple... for example, I love my future in-laws, but just because they've been together 27 years (my FH's whole life), they have a lot to work on with treating each other right, and with respect. I worry they sometimes take each other for granted. But, they definitely deal with all life throws at them together, and are a united front. They've been through a lot of crap and still choose to work through it together.

I told my FH, between my mom, dad and step-dad, there has been 8 marriages, so my hope is to have one. I know we can't predict the future, but I hope that we will be able to work through anything and prioritize each other.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your grandparents sound like such a super couple! I think they are a great example.

I have TONS of examples of what not to do that surround me: my parents are divorced, my grandparents on both sides didn't really communicate and just ended up staying together because that was the thing to do, my SIL is getting separated. I have looked at these relationships and realized that I can take note of what not to do and learn from it. We always try to communicate with each other, be honest, be silly and love each other.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's a beautiful story! Love that lasts a life time is always inspiration for me~ I do dream of growing old with my soon to be husband and hope we continue cute little things like that!

Both of our parents have been married over 30 years and they have been great role models for us! I think their relationships have shown us both things we want to strive for and maybe some things we can do better!

• Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Now that’s a couple I aspire to be like! Also my parents and grandparents are couples we both want to be like: they aren’t super lovey in front of us but they seem to have so much fun and can handle any problem life throws at them. My brother and SIL are a relationship we are actively fighting to not be like: they argue constantly, neither of them do housework so they eat out constantly and live in a pig sty, and even their six year old daughter told me she wished they would live in separate houses and she could visit one and then the other (essentially divorced parents) before they got married!
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My sister & her husband, along with their friends who are married gave me some insanely fabulous advice to my fiance & i after our enagagement along with words of encouragement and their congratulations.
  • Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t necessarily have anyone that I model our relationship after but our own. We’re both young but have learned that honesty, consideration, and trust is key to everything.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics