Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Abbie
Devoted June 2022 Nova Scotia

Incorporating Pets into your Wedding

Abbie, on January 19, 2021 at 13:51 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 25
Hi all!

I was wondering how you are incorporating your pets into your wedding? I have a cat and a horse who are my absolute babies, but neither have the type of temperament where they would be relaxed in that sort of setting - and plus I know I would be worried about them the whole time!
However, I certainly want to include them in some way! Any ideas? I am hoping to get pictures with them (though I’ve resigned myself to acknowledging this probably won’t happen on the actual wedding day!)

25 Comments

Latest activity by Abbie, on January 22, 2021 at 07:17
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aw, what a beautiful tribute! And your topper is wonderful!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We also put paws on the cake to have our dog Peanut remembered as he passed away June 4, 2015.

Incorporating Pets into your Wedding 1

• Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I like those ideas! I would love to see your cake topper! Smiley smile
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We incorporated the idea of the cake topper to have a dog with the couple as pet lovers. A shout out to your pets in your speech is a nice way to incorporate them.

We would have had our chihuahuas with us except the venue was pet free zone. Their pictures can be part of your engagement photos and sent to your family and friends part of the invite.

• Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s an adorable idea!
  • Brittany
    Beginner September 2023 Ontario
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A lot of our family and friends are pet lovers, just like my fiancé and I we have two orange fluffy cats, and almost everyone we know hows either dogs or cats, so are planning to do a little doggy/treat bag for peoples to take home to their pets. On the bag I'm asking my cousin who's into art to draw up our cats to put on the bags and have it read something like "from our pets to yours" or " thank you for celebrating with our humans"

• Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aw that would be so special to have your pup join you for some pics! Love the portraits idea, too!

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're planning to name our signature cocktails after our pets and have a friend of ours sketch portraits of our cats and dog for a sign at the bar.

We're also starting to discuss a way to bring our dog to join us during cocktail hour when we sneak off for photos so we can get some with him.

• Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That will be lovely! My cat is very big on “stranger = danger” so I didn’t think she’d be very impressed at being wrangled into official engagement photos but I did take a couple pics of her sniffing my ring which are cute!
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Unfortunately I don’t think we’ll have enough room to get ready at home but I do love the idea of candid pre-wedding kitty snuggles! 😻 hopefully our venue will be close enough for some quick in between pics - so long as the photographer doesn’t mind a bit of a runabout!
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think if you've got time to make a few stops either before or after the ceremony you could get a few photos of you with each of them.

If you're getting ready at home then the photographer might be able to capture some candid pre-wedding kitty snuggles!
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's an amazing idea!

• Christine
    Curious April 2022 Ontario
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh!! I have a cat and she is so dear to me. I would love to involve her in the wedding or photos somehow. She's quite curious so she would make for sunny photos but I also don't want her to either get hair everywhere or accidentally put a hole in a dress. My idea was to have her involved in our engagement shoot if we do something at home ❤
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Why not, indeed! It’s an awesome idea! Smiley smile
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I saw someone do it with pictures of the couple and thought why not do it with the cats?!
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh that's a great idea! Smiley smile

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were thinking of using pictures of our cats with a number on it for our table numbers!
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aw I would love to see pictures after your wedding! My family dogs are rescues (with a serious history of abuse/trauma) so it would be too much stress on them to be involved in the wedding but I know they'll be giving me my pre-wedding blessings (aka lots of kisses!)

• Margaret
    Curious December 2021 Ontario
    Margaret ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our dog will definitely be included in our ceremony. He will be the “ring bearer” along with my FH’s nephew. We also had our dog in our engagement photos ☺️
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh I love those ideas, Hank! Even if we're not close by for the wedding (we live out in the country and still don't have our venue yet - grr!) we could still simulate those kinds of things!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

One of my best friends owned a dog when he lived with his parents. When we did the getting ready part at his house, the dog had a bow tie on and the photographer took some pictures on him chilling on his doggy bed watching all of us. They also had wedding cake shaped doggy biscuits for him.

With your cat and horse, you can add a bow tie (groom colour if it's a male, bridesmaid colour if it's female) and take a photo with them while you're getting ready before you put your wedding dress on. If you're getting hair and makeup done, maybe you can get a photo of you brushing the horse's hair while you're in your robe etc.

• Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sure I could convince him, though I do see his perspective as they are my pets that I've grown up with, not pets we've adopted together. They're definitely a mama's boy/girl so he already has to share me on the daily Smiley xd

• Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha maybe your fiancé will come around to the cake topper idea eventually. For what it's worth people loved ours and we got tons of compliments on it.

• Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aw I love your cake topper! I really like the idea of the laser cut ones with the animals included, though my fiancé is not as big a fan. I was thinking of seeing if I could order one like it, without the cake insert bit, and use it as a piece of décor?

Roxy, my cat, would certainly not be hanging around for a photographer haha! My horse, Keeper, is easier to pose with (we took some engagement photos with him Smiley smile ), though I have come to see the sense in not risking muddying my wedding dress beforehand so that will probably be a "week after the wedding" project.

• Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We really wanted to get professional photos with our cat but she's very shy around new people. She ended up hiding under our bed the entire time our photographer was at our apartment so we took a selfie with her when we got home haha.

We did have a nod to her in our cake topper - we ordered it from a shop called CustomLaserStudio on Etsy.

Incorporating Pets into your Wedding 2

Something else that might be nice could be to order a drawing or something off Etsy of the two of you in your wedding outfits with your cat and horse?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics