Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Honeylie
Frequent user August 2021 Quebec

I am Engaged... without a Ring!

Honeylie, on June 1, 2019 at 20:37 Posted in Before the wedding 0 31

My boyfriend and I have been together for 5 years now and we recently decided to get married.

No proposal was done, it was simply a mutual decision! We are still both very excited and cannot wait to tell all our family and friends.

Since there was no proposal, there is no ring on my finger! Growing up I always dreamed about the guy getting on one knee and flashing me that shiny ring. Now however, I realized that is not I wanted.

I guess I just wanted to hop on here and remind those of you who are having doubts about getting engaged due to not having the money for a ring or if a ring is needed to propose that it is NOT! Of course, this is a personal opinion. Just remember what is important, and that is having the choice to spend the rest of your life with the person you choose Smiley heart

Thanks for reading!

P.S. Freaking out. Wedding planning is both exciting and stressful!

31 Comments

Latest activity by Ana, on June 7, 2019 at 12:52
  • A
    Newbie June 2019 British Columbia
    Ana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were engaged over a year, with our wedding only 5 weeks away when my soon to be husband gave me an engagement ring. While I do love my ring, it's not needed to validate our commitment and plans for our future together

• Jean
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Jean ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hello Honeylie,

Welcome to the same boat.

My fiance and I have been together for more than 13yrs and yes... once upon a time, I did propose and did provide a ring but she lost the ring shortly after that. (and to think she was hoping for me to get another one lol). Well... at the end of the day, all that matters, is the real meaning and value to getting married itself. Having your friends and family present on that special day which both of you say I do and celebrate together with those that matters is all you really need. Anything else is icing on the cake.

We both are more focused on the symbol and value of that special day and the importance of taking the next step in our relationship and this is all that matters.

Jean Guy

• Honeylie
    Honeylie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Amazing! Congrats Melissa!

• Honeylie
    Honeylie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is very true. Thank you so much!

• Melissa
    Newbie April 2020 British Columbia
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Glad to hear I'm not alone! Starting the wedding planning and still dont have an engagement ring. Only a couple people know we are planning this so far...
  • Renee
    Curious June 2020 Alberta
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hello Honeylie, I am in the exact same boat I have been with this man for 9years almost 10years. I as well am engaged with no ring its no big deal. Some may think it is but its the love that counts between you and your loved one. And by the way congratulations on your engagement

• Honeylie
    Honeylie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love the rings from Brilliant Earth! i have looked at a couple.

Yes, from movies to tv shows, it seems as though it needs to be this grand gesture or it doesn't count!!

Thank you Denyse! xoxoxox

• S
    Newbie September 2019 Ontario
    Sandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're in the same boat.. it was mutually agreed on and we already have half the wedding planned and still no engagement... well.. no one knows yet either. One of these days we will go get me a ring, and wedding bands, then he'll (try) to surprise me and propose. Might be doing things in a different order, but it still works Smiley smile

• D
    Beginner May 2023 Ontario
    Denyse ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH's and i have been together for along time and have a 21 year old son and we have always talked about getting married but life happens.. last September we decided to plan our wedding.. There was no getting down on one knee with a ring instead we decided to pick my engagement ring out together from brilliant earth and instead of a diamond I fell in love with a moissanite gem way less expensive but just as beautiful.. My point is a engagement ring does not signify the love you have for one another.. It"s put in our heads from a young age that an engagement ring signify love just like a diamond is a girls best friend but honestly its an industry using love to make a profit.. With that congrats to you I wish you beautiful wedding and happy ever after..
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's so refreshing to hear! love this, thanks for sharing

• Honeylie
    Honeylie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Amazing!!! i love it ! we are waiting to tell his family once i have some sort of band as well because they are a stickler when it comes to this type of thing.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That response has crossed my mind a time or two for sure!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were the same and thinking of the cost of a ring he would spend was going to be as the same for the day of. Result was mutual and waited until we got our bands and his ring that didn't fit him, fit me and that is how we decided to call it the engagement ring.

No proposal for us too.

• Honeylie
    Honeylie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh my gosh !! I completely understand the frustration !!! I too would be mad if someone didn't congratulate me and instead simply said "SHOW ME THE RING". I would reply "Ok so that's one less person to invite!!" 😜 Thank you xxx
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Amazing! Love this.

I completely understand the love of the ring, and that girls ALWAYS want to know about the ring blah blah. But I was not prepared for the barrage of questions I would get about my ring. To the point I was actually getting mad. A cousin of mine heard through the family grapevine (news spreads like a wildfire once my grandma knows, I didn't get a chance to call everyone before she did) about the engagement and all I got from her was "Lets see the ring" as a text, not even Congratulations! It upset me ALOT. I just don't get it, I would way rather hear about the proposal then the ring.

It was also super awkward for us because there was a snafu with the ring FH did propose to me with so we returned the ring the next day and had to wait 2 weeks for the actual ring I ended up with. But I wanted to tell everyone that we were engaged because I was so happy (obviously) so for two weeks it was non stop, "We are engaged" *person looks at my hand* "Oh yeah...the ring is getting sized" "Didn't you take a picture" "No...soo anyway WE ARE ENGAGED". It was exhausting.

Anyway, good for you! Smiley laugh Congratulations!

• Honeylie
    Honeylie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You go girl !!!! I love hearing stories of women proposing to their FH 💛 thank you and congratulations to you !
  • Honeylie
    Honeylie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's so sweet! I'm glad he still had the courage to propose despite not having a ring. The ring is simply an afterthought ! xx congrats
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well it wasn't a money thing and it wasn't a mutual agreement to get married - I actually proposed to my FH! lol I got us bracelets from Claire's as I knew that even if I got him a ring he wouldn't wear it - that's for the girls Smiley tongue He insists he won't wear one until we are married but made sure to set up an appointment for me to get a custom made engagement ring Smiley laugh We will be going to the same person for the wedding bands.

Congrats on the engagement and welcome to the WW community!

• Claire
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love this! My Fiancee asked me if I marry him and he wished he had a ring that night. He gave me a ring a week after though but it's not that, even if he didn't I will still gonna marry him in a heart beat!
  • Honeylie
    Honeylie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!!
  • Honeylie
    Honeylie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much 💛
  • Honeylie
    Honeylie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's amazing !! Yes we are actually talking about getting a cheap ring as well just to avoid the "why no ring" discussion with friends and family !
  • Alysa
    Beginner October 2019 Alberta
    Alysa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats to you both! At the end of the day, it’s about you guys and what you both want. I think this is amazing. Exciting time!
  • A
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Allyson ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wonderful! Congratulations!
  • R
    Devoted November 2019 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats!!

We did the exact same thing!! We mutually decided to get engaged. We did decide to go shopping for a "look I'm engaged ring". It was -super- cheap and more of a formality for the family. When we got home my fiancé then rolled his eyes and said "I guess I need to get on my knee eh?".

Big proposals aren't for everyone and I truly believe in doing what you need to do. Even our wedding is super untraditional and informal because that's our relationship and us. Smiley smile

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats! Happy planning!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is how my parents did it. They started talking about “if we get married” and that changed to “when we get married”.
    I got the ring but not a big proposal. Now, I don’t even wear my engagement ring or my wedding band! I don’t wear them to work and rarely remember to put them on at home!
    It’s not the most important thing but it is something people still ask about
  • Honeylie
    Honeylie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much !
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations! So exciting!! Happy planning Smiley smile
  • Honeylie
    Honeylie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha yes ! We told the first people about our engagement and we got that question right away! "Show us the ring!!" ...uh nope no ring 😂
    Also cannot wait for people to ask "tell us your engagement story!" ...we had a discussion about it, that's it! 😋
  • Miranda
    Beginner May 2020 Ontario
    Miranda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Coming from someone who’s in the same boat, prepare for people to stare at your hand and be confused when there’s no ring. Happens 100% of the time!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics