Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kay
Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia

How to Word the Invitation?

Kay, on May 25, 2018 at 07:51 Posted in Wedding reception 0 8

So, my partner and I need some help with the wording of our invitations. We are having a surprise wedding under the guise of a family/friend get together, as my partner's son and his girlfriend and a few of our friends from Ontario are flying down.

Our issue is how to word it so that they know we are paying the bill for everyone. Half of the people there will be my family, and generally when we all go out to eat we just split the bill, and my family would expect this to be no different. So, I am trying to find a way of saying "Our treat!" without saying it in those exact words. Also figuring out what to call it. Dinner out? I don't know! hah. I've never been great at invitation wordings for ANY event!

8 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on May 30, 2018 at 11:09
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good luck!

• Kay
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I want to be the least suspicious as possible! 99% of the people attending are from my side of the family. Then we have some close friends/chosen family that will be attending. They both haven't met each other, so we are trying to say it is an opportunity to meet pre-wedding. Smiley smile Fingers crossed it works!

• Jane
    Frequent user July 2018 British Columbia
    Jane ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hmmm, I would try something like, "our treat" or "we want to treat you all to...". Although I like "on us" it's a bit less formal, maybe less suspicious 😋
  • Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    If I were to get an invitation from a friend to an event and they said "don't worry we're paying" I would instantly think something is up, especially if I knew a bunch of other people would also be there.

• Kay
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would consider the place to be reasonably priced, and nothing outside of anybody's price range. Once they get there and realize it is a wedding, they probably will figure out they aren't paying for the meal. Smiley smile

If people think that I don't need to explicitly say it on the evite then I will just leave abstain from putting anything on there!

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think you necessarily need to tell people. As long as the restaurant/place you're eating knows that you guys are paying the bill it should be fine. This way no one will be suspicious either. I think you should only say something if the place you are going is maybe fancy so that people don't say no as they can't afford/don't want to pay that much for dinner.

• Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Maybe say something like "We'd love to treat you to a super cool dinner" or something like that. or like Emily said, say "on us" at the end of the invite.

• Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Maybe "on us"? You should call it something that has enough weight that people will feel that it is important enough not to skip. You could literally just call it a surprise dinner and not disclose what the surprise is? Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics