Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

How to survive the holidays as newlyweds

Joey, on December 11, 2017 at 10:05 Posted in Just married 0 6

The holidays are right around the corner. Are you hosting for the first time as a couple? Are you in negotiations about whose family you'll be spending time with? Are you finding any challenges combining your traditions or organizing your plans? Here's the place to talk about it and give advice. If you have great tips for blending traditions, or making new traditions of your own, please share!

How to survive the holidays as newlyweds 1

Photo by Kristina Felker Photography in Alberta

Want to get some tips from the pros on surviving your first holiday together? Read our article!

6 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on December 16, 2017 at 01:45
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Reminds me of the movie four Christmases!

Glad you were able to come up with a solution! Just reading about it almost made me grumpy haha

• Chanelle
    Frequent user September 2019 British Columbia
    Chanelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For the past few years, we’ve gone out of our way to accommodate everyone on Christmas Day, which for us means getting up extra early, and driving to 3 different cities in 1 day. By the end of it, we were exhausted and he was grumpy. Last year he put his foot down and swore we would never do that again.

This year my my parents moved to the island, so Christmas is 1 week early for them. Christmas Day will be with his family and we had a Christmas party with his dad last week. This year is much more low key and I am loving it. We decided together that for all holidays, we would only commit to one family per day, and I’m glad we’re sticking to it.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance has decided, for reasons that I agree with, that we will not be spending the holidays with his family. It makes it easier (although it is sad to think that, if things don't get better, our children will grow up not knowing half their family).

My family didn't have too many "traditions" when it came to holidays. I am excited to be able to start some with my fiance and carry them on when we have children! We haven't talked about them yet though. One of the things we are doing at our wedding is giving each table a holiday and they can write out their favourite tradition, which will hopefully give us some good ideas!

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're celebrating with his family this year and mine next. We'll likely do a combined families the 3rd year and then just repeat the same pattern. Makes it fair for everyone.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have been together for several years and have had to share the holidays between our families for years. We just have to figure out whose family gets which day this year.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're finding it challenging to reconcile all the family traditions that have cropped up over the years...there are so many different celebrations that happen and while we'd love to be able to go to all of them, it's too much. Now that all the kids are adults, I really do think it's time to re-examine and start fresh so that when we have little ones, we can carve out a new set of traditions.

We've suggested picking a day either in advance or after Christmas itself to do the big 'extended family' visits. That way, we can have Christmas day to ourselves and one day kids. We've said that people are welcome to drop in as well. We're hoping it works out.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics