Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Allison
Frequent user June 2019 Ontario

How to Move Past Dress Unsatisfcation

Allison, on June 20, 2019 at 09:48 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 18
Hey everyone,
Our wedding is this Saturday and I finally have my dress back from getting a corset put in last minute.
My fiancé’s cousin got married 3 weeks ago and his bride managed to pick the exact same dress but in full white! She has no idea and I had no idea ours would be the same. This sent me into a panic to find another dress - which I did two weeks out that only needed a hem and minor alterations in the bust. However because she had to take it in, it’s now tighter and squishing out any fat on my back. I don’t love it I feel super self conscious now but I also am not in love with my first dress as someone just wore the same one 3 weeks ago....
UGH I have no time to be feeling like this, does anyone have any advice, tips or ideas to get out of my own head?

18 Comments

Latest activity by Sharlene, on June 24, 2019 at 19:15
  • Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That is awesome!!! The other bride didn't even notice - wow!!! Glad it worked out for you. I thought it would.
  • Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Congratulations!
    You look beautiful in the pic you posted and I am so glad it all worked out!! Yay!
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Don't mind the awkward timing/ facial expression but this is the only full dress photo I have without a bouquet in the way so far (:Unexpected Portrait How to Move Past Dress Unsatisfcation 1

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Congratulations! I am happy you picked the original dress. Looking forward to hearing more about your day and seeing some pics.
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got married yesterday!

I meant to let you all know before our wedding, but I picked the original first dress only on the morning of! Thank you for all your kind words and advice it really helped me come to the conclusion to wear the one I originally bought and loved.

The dress loosened throughout the day so the back squishiness that was happening on both eventually became less as the day went on plus a couple drinks in helped boost my confidence just a bit (:

During family photos, the other bride (from 3 weeks ago) snapped a picture together and I mentioned that we both must have great taste and gestured to my dress and she was just like "oh my gosh I didn't even realize" kind of line so we are good (:

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you should wear your original dress that you felt in love with!

I don't think anyone will notice you have the same dress, plus they aren't even the same color which makes it different to begin with & every dress looks different on each person, so I am sure no one but POSSIBLY your cousin who wore it, may say that's the same dress, but it's nothing to be upset over.

That just means it must be an absolutely BEAUTIFUL dress to make the both of you choose it and not even know!

I would say now that you have a second dress, change into the second dress during the night for the reception after you first dance, because if its the back you are worried about your back will be against a wall during service anyways so people will only see the front, plus I am sure it is really not as bad as you well it is!

• Alysa
    Beginner October 2019 Alberta
    Alysa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wear the original gown you fell in love with. I think you’ll both laugh about this later. It’s going to look stunning on you, I don’t imagine anyone will even notice, and if they do, laugh it off because you both had no idea and you can chalk it up to you both having great taste. Add a belt or other accessory. Do your hair different. It’s going to be great!
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Two of the girls in my grade 12 class realized they had purchased the same grad dress, but in different colours. Initially they were both pretty upset and annoyed about it.

But then grad came, and even in pictures of them side by side, you couldn't even tell it was the same dress. They both looked completely different in them, and both of them looked stunning. Once they were at grad, wearing the dresses they loved, it didn't even matter. They forgot how upset they were and just had fun.

Wear the dress you fell in love with. Only you and her will know its the same. Chalk it up to a funny story. What are the odds of this happening! Clearly you both have great taste!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wear your original dress you like. It sucks to see someone else who got married in the same style recently and not wanting to be seen in a different colour. Add the touch of jewelled belt. It creates a different look overall.

Don't put yourself through the tight and undesirable dress that doesn't fit.

• Kathy
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you should wear your dress. Maybe you could get an easier find for your reception? I think that will make a difference
  • Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would wear your original dress. Odds are you both look very different in the same exact dress, plus how many of your guests were at that wedding. I know the situation would freak me out too, but I would just wear your dress - you bought it because you love it!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh no. I mean if there is only a few people that overlap both weddings, I honestly do not see it being much of an issue. Especially if yours was a different colour!

I would go with the dress that makes you feel like a Bride. The one that you feel comfortable in walking down the isle.

You could also add a wrap or a shall over top of your dress!

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would wear your original dress! I know its a bummer that someone picked the SAME one, but if you love it then I would wear it. I doubt people will put the two together unless you mention it. Smiley smile

maybe you could let her know in advance or make a joke about it at the reception if you give a speech. but honestly if you both didn't know and didn't discuss dresses together than there's nothing you can do and if you don't LOVE your 2nd dress as much then dont wear it Smiley smile

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh no! That would be upsetting to find out another relative got married in yours three weeks prior. I would talk to the seamstress and see if she can still fix that last minute? At the end of the day remember that your fiance will love what you look like because its you wearing the dress and not someone else. That your getting married.

• Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I totally get it. I am sure either way you will look stunning on your big day. And I am sure your fiance will think so no matter what you wear.

Honestly I would take a day or two break. Get your girls together if you can... and try on both dresses fully jacked up. With whatever jewelry, head piece etc...

That should hopefully give you some clarity, and some positive affirmation from your ladies.

And who cares if she has that look of disbelief. If anything it might make for a funny story later on.

It's not like your wedding is a year later and you went and bought the same dress on purpose. I am sure you will not be focused on her, when you are coming down the aisle, and that will be the last thing on your mind the day of.

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am super self-conscious of my upper arms and wore an organza wrap with my strapless dress. Something like that would also cover back fat.

You can wear something like this (maybe wear it a little further down the arms):

organza wrap

or this might be an option too:

smaller wrap

this is how I wore my wrap, but as I said you can wear yours a bit further down your arms if you want to show more skin:

How to Move Past Dress Unsatisfcation 2

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    There will be about 10 guests that are the same at both weddings so I know it’s not really a big deal, I haven’t said anything to anyone other than my bridal party so I’m just dreading the look of disbelieve on her face when she realizes what I realized on her wedding day. I’m trying so hard to be a good sport about it but it’s so hard!

My second dress is a button up and low back and was so gorgeous at the back until we fixed the front... I think these dresses are just my bridezilla moment and I need to find a way to let it go...
  • Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Will there be a lot of overlap in wedding guests with his cousins wedding?

Did you mention yours was another color? Is it obvious that it is the same dress, or only so because it is yours so you know?

I mean ultimately that was your dress.. I get it's an odd coincidence, but if that was the dress you fell in love with and saw yourself getting married in... I don't feel like that will take away from your day to wear a dress someone else had.

Your second dress, is it a lace up? Or can it be adjusted just a smidge to not squish your back as much?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics