Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Angel
Frequent user June 2019 British Columbia

How to look more natural in photos?

Angel, on July 13, 2018 at 18:24 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 9

My FH and I are on a tight budget so we decided not to hire a professional photographer to do our engagement photos. We still want to take some nice photos that we could include in the slideshow and print out on a banner for our guests to sign on. My aunt is helping us take the photos and she doesn't have any photo shoot experience. I showed the pictures we took to my friends and they say we don't look very natural in the photos! What can I do to make the photos turn out nicer?

Photo 1How to look more natural in photos? 1

Photo 2How to look more natural in photos? 2Photo 3How to look more natural in photos? 3Photo 4How to look more natural in photos? 4Photo 5How to look more natural in photos? 5

9 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on July 14, 2018 at 09:38
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Feel comfortable and stand the way you do everyday. Thats the feeling of how relaxed and laid back is when getting that shot taken.

By forcing yourselves to feel tense and uncomfortable in the picture will have that effect of looking awkward.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    First off, those pictures are very lovely!

I also struggle with looking natural in photoshoots. A few things we do is to just have fun with it! We would talk and joke and have a good laugh with not just each other but our photographer. This way everyone is comfortable and having a good time and that shows in pictures! Also don't try to pose too much.. when we did our engagement photos I found we over posed and didn't really have as much fun. Whereas with the Valentine's day photoshoot contest we win we just kind of winged it and didn't try to pose too much and they turned out so amazing!

Also like some of the other mentioned is the outfits not really fitting the location. They a beautiful outfits, and beautiful location but with the outfits you course have done like an art gallery, museum or something architectural. For at the beach you could have done a flowy summer dress, jeans and a dress shirt for him and no shoes.
    The outfit matching the location will automatically make it look more natural and less posed even if you feel unnatural and posed.
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I honestly would suggest for her to watch some YouTube videos, and have her cree Instagram accounts. As for you guys, try to forget the camera is there (as hard as that js) dont be afraid to get close, it looks far more natural
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say that for photo's 1 and 3 you could try to get closer and actually hug - as of right now it kind of looks like a slow dance you would have in junior high. But definitely agree about losing the shoes for a beach shoot!

• Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love the first photo, it looks very beautiful Smiley smile! I think if you would like to make it a bit more natural looking is to go bare foot on the beach. Or change the scenery to more grassy area maybe with some flowers or trees around it. I also love your outfits they look very nice, and would look great in a different background. And if you like the beach scenery you can always look for a beach wear outfit for you and your FH.

• Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would suggest not locking your knees because this can make images look posed. I know our photographer would get us to just talk to each other and he moved around us. We weren’t always looking right into the camera which may help. I also agree with other about different wardrobe for different scenery settings.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with what others have said! I think wardrobe is a huge part of it! (I have 3 different shoots to do and like... 3 outfits for each ahahah)
    Also try doi lmg different angles! Have her shoot from a little bit lower, or higher, over his shoulder, a close up on your face with him tucking some hair behind your ear. I feel the photos are very just. Forward. And although composition with where you guys are within the photos theres just no movement in the images, and more dramatic angles can help that!
    Also! My best advice! Have fun with your fiance! Dont "pose" for a photo, talk with him, giggle, share a bunch of little kisses and touches and just have her keep firing off the photos! You will get a more natural and emotion expression easier that way! Remember most photographers will take THOUSANDS of photos and come out with 60-80 really good ones! Just keep taking them!
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think Brittany hit the nail on the head with this one! Its not that you look 'unnatural' per se, its more that the clothing seems out of place.

The biggest advice i can give is to relax and have fun with it. Forget someone is taking photos of you. Do goofy things. Tell jokes. Make each other laugh- thats when you get the most natural smiles!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think, in my opinion... it's more so being so dressed up, and then in the sand on the beach...

I think if you wanted to be dressier, try a more "city" vibe... standing on grass or concrete, with some city or water views, maybe evening evening shots...

If you like the beach photos... go a bit more casual, like summer dress-y... look nice, but not dressed up. Then it may be easier to pose more relaxed.

The photo of you walking, looking at him, and the one on the drift wood both are cute, but the formality of your outfits is what throws it off to me. If your feet are going to sink into the sand... embrace it! Go barefoot! Have a cute sundress... put him in a button down t-shirt and shorts! He'll be able to move a lot better out of a jacket too!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics