Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ashley
Newbie November 2021 Ontario

How to get used to your "dream wedding" having to change?

Ashley, on January 21, 2021 at 15:07 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 9
Hi everyone, just wanting some advice on what I'm sure alot of us are going through right now.

We're from Ontario and booked our ceremony for Central Park in Sept 2021, as we love NYC and went there for our anniversary. We had a reception booked for Ontario a couple months after.
We were going to wait it out till April to see how everything is but finally decided that for peace of mind we should cancel our dream wedding in Central Park and plan for something close to home instead.
I know its the right thing to do. It will also save us quite a bit of money, i'm just having a hard time shifting my mind from my pictured fall wedding in Central Park in my big princess gown, to a winter Ontario wedding.
I feel so silly even complaining about it because obviously there are worse things going on in the world right now. I just want some advice on how to shake the disappointment so I can embrace our new wedding and love it as much as I would have our original plan.

9 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on January 23, 2021 at 20:09
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Don’t feel silly! You’re grieving what could have been and it’s more than normal to feel upset. So cut yourself some slack! You’re making the best decision you can , with the times that we are in. Once you allow yourself to fully sit with it and allow yourself to be sad or mad or however you feel, then you can work towards accepting the reality of a changed wedding and moving on. And then you may even find some joy in getting to dream about another different wedding. I know ultimately it’s not easy though but you got this, remember we are all here for you and in this together!
  • Lauren
    Beginner May 2022 Ontario
    Lauren ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's understandably hard to shift from your original vision and the hard work you put into planning but ultimately letting it go could be a burden off your shoulders and you can look forward to planning all the details of your new intimate VIP wedding. No matter what it's still your big day, and getting married to your SO will still be just as special to you and fond to remember.
  • Ashley
    Newbie November 2021 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone!

You're right, it's okay for me to be sad for what could have been, but the most important thing at the end of the day is that we are getting married. Central Park as our honeymoon is actually a great idea, my MIL also mentioned maybe doing a vow renewal there years down the road.

Staying positive Smiley smile

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Maybe you can make Central Park your future honeymoon?

• Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    And maybe too have a fun plan for Central Park in the future?
  • Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it’s really important to grieve the change in dreams
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your dream wedding is something to have though going alternative route is now intimate. Family and friends is enough to be with you making your day special as you want it smaller scale.

Its disappointing to know your vision of the park wedding is not happening and choosing hometown as your last resort choice. It will be memorable.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You'll feel better about it with time. But it's totally normal to be disappointed and sad that you can't have the wedding you imagined.

When we tried to postpone our reception we found out that our venue was being demolished shortly after our original wedding date. We still got married (different venue) but we don't know when or where we'll have our reception and I'm not too hopeful we'll find a venue as perfect as the one we were supposed to have. I was really upset when I first found out but now I'm much more okay with it.

• Arexy
    Devoted October 2020 Ontario
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Well, the disappointment is only natural. I’m sure you spent a lot of time planning your dream wedding. I think those feelings of disappointment will pass with time. Try to think about the positive things: you will still get married to the love of your life even if it’s not your dream wedding. If it makes you feel better, I felt the exact way as you when we scheduled our dream wedding. But instead, we got married with 50 guests at a winery and it was more magical than I could have ever imagined. I wouldn’t change a thing about my wedding! This too shall pass

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics