Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emily
Devoted February 2020 Ontario

How to Decide on a Dj!?

Emily, on August 10, 2018 at 09:57 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 18

I need some helpful tips for deciding on a DJ for our wedding!

I have found that trying to select a DJ is very difficult because you can't actually view their service (unlike almost every other vendor)! While a lot of services do have websites that have examples of parties that they have DJ'd at, I don't really feel like this offers a comprehensive picture of their service.

So far in my selection, I have been going off of reviews, customer service, as well as what fits within my budget! But what if they turn up and are garbage!?

Help!

18 Comments

Latest activity by Emily, on August 13, 2018 at 20:24
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Really great point! Thank you Smiley smile

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Also look into online reviews and see what any potential DJ would do in the situation if they were sick and could not make it. That would be my big worry about hiring someone who worked for theirself verus a company.

• Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

And I thought $200 was outrages! Oh my goodness, that is insane! I know that if I used one of their services that I wouldn't need to worry about it, but I just don't want to pay all that extra money. The few outside DJ's that I have contacted have all worked at my venue before, which is great, so I may ask me venue their experience working with these other Dj companies.

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's not a bad fee at all. I was just wondering since my venue's plug-in fee was outrageous ($495), PLUS we wouldn't have access to any specialty lights or the projector, so they bamboozled us into using their DJ.

• Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There is a $200 fee for using outside vendors - saving $500 includes the $200 fee on top of the price of a few outside companies I have narrowed down.

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Does your venue have a plug-in fee/hook-up fee for outside DJ's or is it the same whether you use their preferred ones or find your own?

• Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My wedding is in Cambridge. We have a list of preferred DJ's but they are all wayyy too expensive (in my opinion)! That is why I am having difficulties, as I have decided to go with someone outside, save myself $500!

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Where is your wedding in Ontario? Is the preferred DJ from a company or a single individual?

I had a difficult time with this decision as well and ended up just going with our preferred DJ for our venue since it was easiest lol.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think in your case meeting with the ones you've been researching would be best. What swayed my fiancé and I toward our DJ was that she was a preferred DJ on our venue's list, has worked at weddings with our photographer, has a great online planning system, and was the only one who asked to meet in person.

• Mzheng
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Mzheng ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely use your gut! Meet with a few and see if you like their vibe. Chances are if you aren't 100% in sync with them, they probably aren't the DJ for you! We originally chose our DJ based on prices, but the guy was horrible at responding and it didn't seem like he wanted our business so in the end went with someone completely different (and independent from the wedding scene) and it ended up being the best decision ever!

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I started by asking all of my married friends who they went with on their special day. Then I cross-referenced that with the 'preferred vendors' list from our venue. I ended up contacting about 3 DJ companies : 2 recommended by friends, and 1 from the vendor.

We'll be going with the 1 from the vendor, as they also did my prom back in 2004 and were affiliated with my favorite radio station growing up haha.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I live in Alliston (South of Barrie) and researched vendor on internet and signed the contracts in person when we got the chance to meet. My DJ send me a list of timing for wedding entrance and reception to know what time and what song to play when it came time to do so. Ask for sample music to get an idea of what your looking for and if you like it, decide on that basis too.

• Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our venue also has preferred vendors, including four DJ companies, however, I decided to put most of my wedding fund into a nice venue and have decided to keep almost every other aspect fairly cheap, meaning that all of their preferred vendors are very high end and very expensive! That is why I am looking for other services!

Thank you for your advise!!

• Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I actually currently live in Winnipeg! Socials are completely different from J&J's and B&D's - in that people actually show up and money is made from them, ahaha.

Although, because I live in Winnipeg and I am planning a wedding in Ontario, it is super hard to attend events with local DJs, as I am home for less than a month of every year.

Asking for references is a really great idea!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Melissa. If you go to any weddings, or have friends/ family attending weddings have them take notes on the DJ.

Even ask your venue. Our venue has "preferred" vendors that they recommend to bride and grooms. The DJ we picked has been at our venue for many events for almost 40 years, so he knows a lot about each space, and all the small details. He also happened to be the DJ at my Dad and Step Moms wedding and we had a great time with them!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My only suggestion is what I did but I don't know if it would be the same for Ontario. I know we have socials in MB and other provinces have "Jack and Jills" or "Buck and Does" - but from what I've heard all that happens in those are games and some drinks with music that people have to yell over to talk... In MB we have no games and all fun and dance and drinks and chinese auctions. Now... here in MB we have so many socials that there is at least one every weekend in the spring time and through that we are able to see who people get and how well they did for the prices that they charge. At this point I went to about 5 socials in spring and that really helped me narrow my list down. As for you - if that is in fact what your "J&J" and "B&D"'s are like then maybe that would help?

If not then maybe when you reach out to the DJ's you could ask for references?

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For me recommendations from friends was the 1st and foremost (since you can't really see their service). then I checked out reviews. Look into how many weddings they have done and for how long. the dj I found was recommended by 6 or 7 different people I knew (from different parts of my life)

and like all my vendors its been about how I vibe with them. I wanted to feel comfortable working with them. and for a dj. their personality needs to SHINE in that meeting. because they are such a "social" job at your wedding.

• Melissa
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Are you, your friends or family invited to any weddings in your area in the near future? My MOH attends way more weddings than I think I ever will in my life, and while I was planning she took note of vendors and told me which ones she thought were really great and which ones weren't. The DJ we booked showed us videos of events they worked and said they'd work with us to make sure everything was to our satisfaction from start to finish. If you want to get a better idea, I'd say meet with a few you're considering. You'll know right away if it's something you want!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics