Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jessica
Frequent user June 2018 Saskatchewan

How soon is too soon?

Jessica, on January 27, 2017 at 13:55 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 16
My wedding isnt until june 1 of 2018 and I have so much planned out, but I want to start doing other things like pick out the rings. I start nursing school this fall so I wanted to get as much as I could out of the way so I wont stress as much leading up to the wedding. So how soon is too soon to be doing other things like rings and dress shopping?

16 Comments

Latest activity by Valerie, on January 30, 2017 at 09:05
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

BTW I was at Michaels on the weekend and noticed they have nice coloured lanterns for $1.50 each. If you hold out for a 20% off your order coupon, you could get them for a steal... though you may have to hunt to find enough of the colours you'd like

• Jennifer
    Curious August 2017 British Columbia
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am so very much the same way. My fiancé proposed in May 2016 and our date is August 17 2017. I went crazy in the first three month planning. We found our venue at the end of May (kind of lucked out as they were pretty booked already for the summer of 2017).
    And they say up to six months to order your dress. I ordered my bridesmaid dresses in October and they still aren't here.
    I know there are things you can't do early like getting your marriage liscence. And fittings for dresses and such. But in my mind the earlier the better.
  • Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I say that it's good time to planning as most people getting married this, next year or the following will be booking ad head especial securing spots with venues.
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm getting married may 2018 and a majority of our stuff is booked! We found venues we wanted were booked 2 years in advance. So to me it's never to early!! Just make sure to space out your bookings so that your deposits aren't all due at the same time!
  • L
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    August 2018 bride here and I have most of the big things figured out. Smiley smile never too early.
  • K
    Newbie April 2018 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think do everything at your own pace if doing dress and ring makes your life easier to do it now then yes do it now. Maybe wait a bit to get your dress fitted properly incase body changes at all. If not worried about that then no need
  • Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Omg a crepe bar sounds AMAZING! That's great that you're so on top of things! I think you could probably start dress shopping soon if you want. Even if you're still working on certain areas, you can try on a few in each styles so that way you know what silhouette you want when you're ready to really shop. (Also depending on who you want to bring with you, it might take some time to find a date that works for everyone so you could start planning now.) They generally say to pick your dress 8 months out because it can take about 6 months for it to arrive and then you need time for alterations. I'm pretty decisive and my tastes don't really change so I wasn't worried about dress regret.
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Totally!! They're very cheap and easy to come by (often don't notice them unless you're looking though). You can get them from the dollar store or a party store for a VERY reasonable price! Then just get some LED tea lights (amazon has them cheap) and you're set!! Simple and beautiful!
  • Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Omg!!! I love the paper lantern ideas! How have I not seen those?? I could totally do coloured lanterns with orange petals set out
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ahhhh that's makes lots of sense!!What about something like these?Either would be inexpensive and not very wasteful, but are completely beautiful (I love the paper lantern with the flowers best)

How soon is too soon? 1

How soon is too soon? - 1
  • Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Haha I try to be! Ive been engaged since last april so ive had tons of time to plan. Pinterest is also my best friend! As for centerpieces i didnt want extravagant since its kind of pointless to spend money on something so small. I was thinking of paper mache balloons with string. Then setting the balloon string over tea lights on the table but thats really as far as ive gotten
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Damn! Sounds like you are ON TOP OF IT!!!! Crepe bar sounds amazing!!!!!!!! Do you have an idea of what you're kind of going for with cernterpieces? Are you doing any kind of theme, or do you like tall or short ones? Pinterest is my best friend.. some days I just type in "wedding" and just scroll through for general ideas

• Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Purple is such a great colour! We picked marine blue, silver with pops of orange! I told my bridesmaids to find themselves a short black dress in their own price range and ill add the colour touches to it. I can not decide on centerpieces for the life of me and as for cake we decided on a crepe bar because i LOVE crepes Smiley smile as for my dress i do want to wait a bit since im a fitness freak, im trying to build a better back and arms for my dress
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

NICE!! That sounds awesome! Are you planning many DIY projects? Do you have your colour scheme picked out?

I guess planning early really depends on your personality! If you think you'll change what colours you'll like or decor style you like in the next year, then I would hold back a bit. If you have ideas that you are fully confident in and LOVE then I think it's ok to start planning... For example I LOVE purple, my hair has been purple for the past 6 years... I'm not going to change, I freaking love it, so planning to have purple decor is/was always happening. But when looking at pictures of cakes I liked a WIDE variety and didn't LOVE LOVE anything in the get go... so I waited a bit to decide on the style/flavours

• Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ya! We are getting married at asessippi ski resort. Already have our photographer, MC, officiant and beginning small details planning.
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For most things, I think you are fine to go ahead and plan now. I personally wouldn't pick out any dresses (yours or bridesmaids) until much later in the year as styles change, and bodies change. But it's not like you CAN'T do those things now, you just risk some serious dress regret (which is super real and the worst!).

But buying things slowly and booking vendors now isn't too early at all (in fact my photographer is already easily half booked for 2018)!!

Do you have your venue picked?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics