Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jessica
Frequent user September 2018 Ontario

How much time for pictures ?

Jessica, on January 22, 2018 at 13:47 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12

Hey ladies,

I am starting to plan out specific times for everything to start ex. ceremony, pictures, dinner etc . and im curious as to how much time i should set aside for pictures post ceremony ? I want to make sure im not telling my guests an hour when really it will be 3 and they are waiting around for dinner . or is this wedding and photographer specific ?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 26, 2018 at 19:49
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When it comes to pictures, always keep more tomd for getting ready shots as to the family/group shots.

The timeframe i set up with our photographer was 2 1/2 hours of details shots and getting ready with family and wedding party. Group pictures were taken for about 1/2 hour and family shots (big family) i should say. The rest of the day was candid pictures.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are going to allow half an hour with family and friends right after the ceremony and then give ourselves an hour and a half to get the photos of us and our wedding party after that so we will have 2 hours of photos in total, this was what our photographer had suggested to us as well
  • Jackie
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having a morning wedding with a brunch to follow. So until I speak with the wedding coordinator to see how it all plays out I won’t know. But my guess is not a lot of time for us. Maybe an hour. Or after the brunch is over before we leave the venue we can go back and take a few more pictures if we feel we didn’t get enough. Good luck.
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We haven't actually discussed out wedding time like with out photographer yet. We are thinking probably 1.5-2 hours, but I don't want to spend too much time away from our guests so I'm hoping for less time then that but will not jeopardize the photos for it. So less than 2 hours for sure!
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My photographers told me to make time for:

Family photos about 40-45 min (which a lot of ppl will want to congratulate you afterwards)

Bridal photos depending one size 1.5 hr-2.5 hrs (we have a small party of 6 including ourselves)

• Kristine
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Kristine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a "first look" so we had plenty of time for pictures before the ceremony, maybe 2.5 hours for pictures of the couple and bridal party. Nothing was rushed and I was able to truly enjoy everything.

The grounds were on 36 acres of land with lots of photo prop sites though (we had golf carts to take us around).

After the ceremony we did family pictures for about 30 minutes.

The photographer was with us for a long time though, started with me getting ready, and stayed for two hours after dinner.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We took most of our photos during the cocktail time which I think was about 90 minutes. We also snuck out to take photos throughout dinner and the reception.

• Taylor
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We asked our photographer what they thought as they are the pros ! They recommended at least 90 minutes. We are doing a first look before the ceremony to ensure we get the pictures we want and it's more meaningful to us then planned 90 minutes after for pictures during cocktail hour.
  • Melissa
    Beginner September 2018 British Columbia
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Jessica,

One hour is usually plenty for your photos. Often, if you have a second location that you want to go to, then it will take longer, but this could be worked into the schedule so your guests aren´t waiting around for 3 hours, like you said! Some couples choose to have a ¨first look¨ before the ceremony (and capture it in photos!) so they can go and do pictures long before the ceremony or guests arriving... and not miss out on that moment getting captured. Another option that I´ve seen is couples sneaking away from dinner for 15 or 20 minutes to take some additional photos. This can be a great time because usually the light is softer (maybe even sunset!?) and the head table usually gets served first, so you´ll typically be done eating while your guests are still eating. Hope that helps! Good luck with your planning!

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had a 90 minute cocktail hour built into our day so we could do photos. I'd say that just over an hour doing pictures (family photos, wedding party then just he and I) before we got to join the cocktail hour.

• Jessica
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are planning on keeping our pictures on site as well, as we are getting married at my Fiances mothers farm. We also dont have a huge list of must have photos, we figure we would rather use more of the photographers time to catch candid pictures at the reception as opposed to posed ones . So im glad to hear you are planning on only an hour , that is what i was hoping to hear.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it depends what photos you want and where you are going for pictures.

For example: We don't have a huge list of MUST HAVE pictures and we are taking all our pictures right there around the cocktail party so no travel time or set up time really needed. I think we'll be fine with about an hour with that info.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics