Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tracy
Curious September 2018 Quebec

How much, or what percentage of the total amount deposit on a wedding venue?

Tracy, on March 22, 2017 at 23:02 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 13

Hello,

I'm new to this whole planning a wedding thing. How do wedding venues calculate how much security deposit and saving the date to request?

Thanks in advance!

13 Comments

Latest activity by Katrin, on January 17, 2019 at 11:52
  • Katrin
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Katrin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ours requested a 50% deposit, and so did our catering.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our venue had 4 payments breakdown throughout the time frame and by dates provided. Venues differ deposit amounts or percentages based on the area or place. Inquire to be sure and get the details.

• Geody
    Beginner July 2018 Alberta
    Geody ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For ours we had to put 30% of the minimum spend +rental fee to book the venue . It is refundable as long as cancellation is no less than 90 days before but they have a 500$ retainer fee .
  • Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with the others. It really depends on the vendor. Most will ask for a deposit of 50%. Others might allow you to make down payments and have the balance due either before or day of the wedding.
  • Louise
    Devoted September 2017 Quebec
    Louise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It totally depends on the venue and what their rules are. I paid $2000 to reserve my date, 4 months later we paid $3000 and the remainder is due 2 weeks before the wedding.
    My wedding dress I paid in full as it was a sample. Flowers were around $150 for the deposit. Our videographer and DJ required a $300 deposit.
    Typically the more expensive the vendors, the more you will have to put down.
    I know regular halls is a smaller deposit and most of them let you pay it off after the wedding night. You can negotiate. It isn't like that at my venue though, everything will be paid off before the wedding which I prefer.
    At least that way any monetary gifts we get is truly for us and our honeymoon/future.
  • Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Depends... Our reception venue was a $100 deposit with the remainder and a $150 damage deposit day off... DJ was $100 deposit with remainder a week before... Since he is coming from out of town we were not comfortable with, he agreed to change the contract to remainder day of, before he sets up.
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think every place will be different. For my venue, they asked for a $1000 non-refundable deposit, then we owe 75% of whats left owing on the venue 30 days before our wedding, and then the final payment is due 8 days before our wedding.
    For my DJ/MC we had to pay 30% of our total as our deposit to book with them. The rest of what we owe is due 30 days before our wedding.
    For our photographer we had to pay a deposit of $300 to book with her. We owe half of the remainder of what is owing 14 days before our wedding, and then we don't owe the rest until she actually gives us our wedding photos so we actually have some time after our wedding to save up that money!
    For my wedding dress I had to pay a deposit of 50% and then when I picked up my dress I paid the remaining 50%.
    For my flowers I paid a deposit of $90... Not sure how they came up with that cost, but thats what it is, I am not sure when I owe the remainder of the money but I know me and I will have it paid off before my wedding so I am not worrying about that.

• Breann
    Beginner September 2018 Ontario
    Breann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I paid 50% up front, the other 50% will be due the month before the wedding.
  • Tracy
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Written by Carleigh:

Quoted

Written by Tracy:

Written by Carleigh:

Yeah, it totally depends. I had to put down 25% for the venue/reception/DJ so $6,000 (held at the sme location), and for flowers I had to put down 50% so around $1,500. For make-up they only asked me to leave my credit card but warned that it would be charged the full amount if I cancelled... for the photographer he only asked for a small amount down I believe we put $750 down to hold our photographer and his total cost is $3,500....and for my dress I think they asked for 50% deposit and... I believe that's all I've booked so far! Deposits can add up quickly and not just for the venue, so just make sure you're prepared! Smiley heart good luck

wow that's a lot or is it consider as standard? Ontario weddings are quite expensive lol

Yeah i know they're so expensive! Most venues I believe ask for at least 25% down. It really all depends on the venue. Before commiting, I asked mine and they were able to tell me. Actually, it's best to ask everyone when you're inquiring b/c that might help make your decision!!! Are you getting married in Quebec?

Yes Im getting married back in my hometown in Montreal Smiley smile

• Carleigh
    Curious October 2017 Ontario
    Carleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yeah i know they're so expensive! Most venues I believe ask for at least 25% down. It really all depends on the venue. Before commiting, I asked mine and they were able to tell me. Actually, it's best to ask everyone when you're inquiring b/c that might help make your decision!!! Are you getting married in Quebec?

• Tracy
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Written by Carleigh:

Yeah, it totally depends. I had to put down 25% for the venue/reception/DJ so $6,000 (held at the sme location), and for flowers I had to put down 50% so around $1,500. For make-up they only asked me to leave my credit card but warned that it would be charged the full amount if I cancelled... for the photographer he only asked for a small amount down I believe we put $750 down to hold our photographer and his total cost is $3,500....and for my dress I think they asked for 50% deposit and... I believe that's all I've booked so far! Deposits can add up quickly and not just for the venue, so just make sure you're prepared! Smiley heart good luck

wow that's a lot or is it consider as standard? Ontario weddings are quite expensive lol

• Carleigh
    Curious October 2017 Ontario
    Carleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

• Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It totally depends on the venue. My ceremony venue is $500 flat for the deposit. Where my venue for my reception requires full booking price.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics