Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jamie
Curious May 2022 Ontario

How much is not much music recommendations for my dj.

Jamie, on July 6, 2021 at 22:12 Posted in Wedding reception 0 15

I am music obsessed, I might go overboard what is the top off ideal number.
I don't want to tell the dj how to do his job but like to give an idea on what music we like to hear.

15 Comments

Latest activity by Rayanne, on August 7, 2021 at 18:32
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    🤣 that's for sure.
  • Jamie
    Curious May 2022 Ontario
    Jamie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, I agree with you with not to play Celine Dion.. Your guest heart will go on.

• Barbara
    Beginner July 2022 Manitoba
    Barbara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think the dj is there to read the crowd and get people on the dance floor. I'd say have a few do not play (if you need) and maybe keep it to about 20 songs you actually must have.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The form the DJ sent had songs line to fill for what you want to play. I just put the 2 needed being English and Hindi as we had a cultural wedding. He did accept requests though I didn't appreciate some of the vulgar songs being played with my family there being respective. The DJ will play the genres and artists you may like and other songs related to that and know what the crowd is wanting to dance to. They feel comfortable in their zone as you would being enjoying with your guests. The basic songs they require are the entrance, first dance, father/daughter, son/mother, cake cutting, and exiting song if anything.
  • T
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My DJ has a portal for requesting music and limits it to 20 songs, he said we could do more but he doesn't want people to be thinking they have to chose every song and he reads the room and feeds what people are reacting to.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes I will have do not play Celine dion or you don't get paid. If someone requests tell her to talk to the bride it isn't being played 🤣
  • K
    Curious September 2021 Alberta
    Kaitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think being specific is good.

Most weddings I've been to the DJ's suck. Ask for a playlist for the beginning of the night maybe? let it dissolve into chaos after 11.

I think 30 songs is great. That's at least and hour and a half. You may be paying them to do a job, but if you're able to be specific, then you can just choose someone with good equipment and don't have to worry about them sucking.

I went to a dance and they had on all the tables an play list (literally a list) with what type of dance it was (waltz, salsa, tango, WCS, etc) that was excellent good fun cause you could line people up for the good ones, or head to the dancefloor.

But i'm a dancer and lots of dancers in the family.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think that's fine. Not unreasonable.

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If it helps, we used one of the largest companies where we are and we filled in a large doc they requested with all the info they needed AND then we were told to use their database to create our "playlist". We could have 20 songs under the 'love' category and 100 under 'like'.
  • Jamie
    Curious May 2022 Ontario
    Jamie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Including entrance, ceremony it'll be 35 songs. I have top 10 must plays and the rest of the songs pretty much a wish list to give the DJ to give an idea what music we like and what our guest listen to.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Are these 30 songs for the dance portion only or does it include their entrances? If it includes their procession, entrances, etc then I think it's fine.

• Jamie
    Curious May 2022 Ontario
    Jamie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, I totally agree lol. I do have do not play list which is pretty short I just don't want any songs like Ymca or any song like that. I am okay with if someone request the song.

I am trying to bring down my wish list to 20 songs and I also put must play songs that are dedications but that's only 3 songs. Also put a song for bridal party which is 7 songs. so all together it is 30 songs. Is that to much? do you think?

Thank you for your response to my question.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh god, four pages of Do Not Play? Would be easier to just tell the DJ no to a certain artist or genre.

And I agree, micromanaging the music on the dance floor when you have different people with different tastes is not the way to go.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went to a wedding where they had a four page do not play list and while the couple loved music what they chose was music that wasn't really music you would dance to...I think the dj is there to read the crowd and get people on the dance floor. I'd say have a few do not play (if you need) and maybe keep it to about 20 songs you actually must have. Once you have a mix of generations wedding music has to be more than what you enjoy. Just my opinion.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel like clients should be able to dictate any special occasion song (procession, entrances, first dance etc) and put anything on a Do Not Play list. Otherwise, I would give a few genres (with some example tracks in case they misunderstand you) and let them do their thing. Like you said, you're hiring them for a reason.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics