Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

How much do you spend on a wedding gift?

Lynnie, on October 12, 2017 at 13:05 Posted in WeddingWire 0 14

As a wedding guest, how much do you typically spend on a wedding gift?

Does it change if you are in the wedding party, if they are close friends, if it's a destination wedding, or if it's a super fancy wedding?

Do you usually buy a gift off of their registry, or gift them cash? I'm curious!

How much do you spend on a wedding gift? 1

Photo from Beach Grove Golf Club in Delta, BC

For expert gift giving tips, check out 8 Things Every Wedding Guest Should Know About Gift Giving

14 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 18, 2018 at 23:37
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn't go through the registry, yet monetary gifts were given. About $100 is average.
  • Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I usually go between $100-$150 depending on the venue. I try to go with the same amount I think my plate costs.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I always prefer getting a gift off the registry. A couple times, for friends I knew really well, I bought a gift not on their registry! If I get invited to a wedding, I still give even if I can't make it to the wedding.

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It depends on who it is! It really depends on how well we know them.
  • E
    Newbie July 2019 British Columbia
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Close family/super close friend $250Family/ Friend $100
    Destination wedding $50
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It definitely depends on my relationship with the couple, the variety of their registry (if they have one and if there's something in my price range), my current financial situation and any other expenses surrounding the event (do I have to shell out a chunk to get there, or is it close).

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think there are a variety of things to look at when deciding. If it's a more formal event with dinner and open bar, then the minimum I would give is $150 per person at least to cover the plate. Then (depending on affordability) I will try to give a bit more so the bride and groom have a bit of an additional gift. Especially if I'm very close to the couple. I feel it's unrealistic to assume that most formal weddings are any less than that. If I get invited to wedding where there is no dinner and just cocktail receptions and cash bar , then I would only do $50 -$100.
  • Ashleigh
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Usually we will give $100 to the couple. I didn't realize weddings were this expensive, now we will likely give more in the future. Haha.
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends on my relationship with the person. Family, about $150 per person (so $300 if both hubby and I go). A close friend, $100 per person. All other friends, $50-75 per person.

BUT it really depends on how much you want, and can, contribute. Anything is always appreciated. They invited you because they want to share their day with you, not because they want you to bankroll their wedding (and if they do, they're not a friend IMO).

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends on how close I am with the person, but generally speaking, I aim to match what I think the meal would cost for myself and my husband attending the wedding.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Im typically a $50 cash gift kinda person. That being said most weddings i have attended recently have been out of town and it has cost me a couple hundred dollars between time of work, gas, hotel, ferry expenses, etc to attend. When you add it all up i just cant afford to give any more than that as a gift when you have multiple weddings to go to in a year.
  • Alanah
    Frequent user July 2018 British Columbia
    Alanah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've never actually bought a wedding gift as I've only attended weddings as a kid but I don't expect my guests to spend any more than $50. I don't really care to get gifts though Ive met people who expect at least $100 per gift.
  • Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would usually go about 100 or so. Unless the couple says they only want money. In which case I give a little more.

• Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends on how close I am to the person and what I can afford. The last wedding I was a guest at I made an afghan because I knew they would appreciate it and I really couldn't afford much else. I would generally say between $60-100

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics