Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jenn
Frequent user September 2018 Ontario

How many dresses?

Jenn, on August 5, 2017 at 22:50 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 15
Hi brides!When doing dress shopping, how many dresses did you ladies try on before you found the one?? I feel like each dress I've tried on is absolutely stunning in its own way and is making the decision very difficult. I feel like if I try on too many I might be overwhelmed.

15 Comments

Latest activity by Laura, on August 16, 2017 at 17:04
  • Laura
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've had 2 appointments so far and probably tried on about 15-20 in total. I really liked 1 of them at the first store but I didn't have the "OMG THIS IS THE ONE" moment - I don't actually know if that's a feeling I will have. I have another appointment at a different store in a couple of weeks. There were so many that I instantly thought this is gorgeous but I look hideous lol. I don't know how i'll choose a dress. Good luck with your shopping though!

• Shelby
    Frequent user October 2017 British Columbia
    Shelby ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think I tried on somewhere between 10 and 15. The one I ended up buying the first time I tried it on I knew it was the one, it was slightly over budget so I retried on a few but my mind just kept going back to "the one."

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I tried on quite a few but it was one of the first dresses I put on.

• Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I tried on 10. Anything more than that would have been overwhelming.

The dress i picked to get married in is not the dress i first fell in love with. I really had to consider budget and my body type.

Is there any particular cut/style/ or dress you keep going back to or is sitting there in the back of your mind?

• Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I tried on a total of 10 dresses, and the last one I put on was the one! For me, I always wanted to have a ballgown but I kept an open mind and tried mermaids, fit and flares and A-Lines. My dress ended up being a dropped waist A-Line gown, which is similar to the ballgown I always wanted but more flattering for my shape. The ballgowns I tried were pretty but I found they made me look bigger than I am, which is not something I was looking for! So when i put on the 10th dress I knew it was the one.

I loved the boutique I went to because they allowed me to look through the dresses myself and pull ones that I liked, and then the consultant also pulled ones based off of my preferences that I talked to her about.

• Chelsey
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Chelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I tried a total of 7 dresses on and I chose the 4th one. I got "the feeling" when I first tried it on and then when I tried every dress after that I kept thinking about that one. I was indecisive about two completely different styles, but in the end you'll know which one. If you don't get the feeling think it over, take lots of pictures, and go back or to another place to see what other styles work for you. Remember whatever dress you choose it's your day and you will look absolutely stunning in anything Smiley shame

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So far I've bought wedding magazines and started to look at all the different designers and the styles I like and narrow it down to where those styles are located in winnipeg near where I live. There is a woman who sells designer gowns for a fraction of the cost from her home like a mini salon but she encourages you to go to the big salons first to know what you want as the biggest size she carries goes up to a size 14 and I'm not sure what size I am border like 14/16. For the longest time I've been watching TLCs say yes to the dress along with my daughter who has dreamed of me getting married for the longest time. I'm in love with a David tutera dress I just can't find a price for it which is a scary thought. I haven't tried on dresses but know the style I think I like. On that note it may sound silly but I will be bringing my mom with me no matter what as she is my mom and as an added bonus she has a knack at picking things out that I wouldn't dream of looking good in and magically looking like it was made for me and that's hard to do. I'm hoping to try only maybe 10 dresses on I have a hard time making up my mind and I hope I can find a solution to involve my daughter and my fmil as well as my exs current visitation schedule and her work schedule just don't go together.
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was so convinced going into dress shopping that I'd have to go 10 times and try on 200 dresses, but I ended up only trying on around 20-30!

I was in love with illusion necklines but found out after trying on only a few dresses in that style that it didn't work well on me! I knew I wanted a big tulle skirt and that I needed straps, so once I quickly fell into a "bling on top tulle on bottom" style and that narrowed down the choices a lot! Smiley heart

I didn't have a big crying moment when I found "the dress", it was just the dress I couldn't stop thinking about! Also for me it was way more helpful to think about "do I feel like ME in this dress" vs "do you feel like a bride??"

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Jenn! I think I went to about 4 bridal stores and tried 3 or 4 dresses at each one, so something like 12-15 dresses total. About 5 of those dresses made it onto a list of possibilities, and I very easily narrowed it down to a top 2, but I had a very hard time choosing between those two. I never had a moment when I cried and knew a dress was The One, I'm not really a fancy dress-up person so I was very practical and not emotional about making this choice Smiley atonished

What was most difficult for me is that every wedding dress is so so beautiful just like you said, and the people I brought shopping with my (my mom and sister) said that every one of them looked "nice", but would not give me any critical feedback. I wanted them to be harsh and help me make the decision! Do you have a very honest friend or relative that you trust to be blunt with you? Of course no one wants someone who picks apart your every flaw! But someone who can be honest and critical can really help make this tough decision in my opinion. And don't be afraid to take a little time off from dress shopping so you don't get overloaded on ideas, you still have enough time before you need to order so don't make yourself feel rushed.

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wasn't really looking for a dress for my wedding but I went to a plus size shop and saw exactly what I wanted hanging there. It is 3/4 length off white lace dress with a lower hem on the right side. I've dressed it up with a satin belt that ties at the back and a gold and pearl brooch in the middle. So, I only tried on 2 different sizes before I picked the one I wanted.

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sounds like you haven't found "the one" yet. I'm going shopping next week for the first time with an entourage, and then I will be going on my own in the future to try on different choices.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went to one store and found my dress. It was the second or third dress I tried on. I tried on probably tried on 10-15 dresses. They do all look beautiful but there is a certain feeling you get when you try "the one". I think you just need to keep searching as the shopping experience varies from one person to the next. Good luck in your search!

• Heather
    Frequent user May 2018 Manitoba
    Heather ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I found my dress at the first store I went to. I knew I had a contender but felt I needed to try more to be sure. I visited three more stores and tried on probably another 8 to 10 dresses before coming back to the original store and the original dress. The whole process took about 3 weeks.
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was lucky and found "the one" after trying on only one dress before it! Even though I knew it was the one I dreamed of, I made sure to try on more just in case. I think I tried on a total of 6 or 8 dresses but still went back to the 2nd dress I tried on. I know a lot of people go to various stores and try on many dresses so I think it's totally dependent on the person and also what you're looking for.
    I knew exactly what I wanted and found exactly it after only going to 1 store. But many search a few stores before making a decision. You said that they all are stunning in their own way and I totally agree. There were 2 other dresses that I definitely loved and could see myself in but in the end I kept going back to that 2nd dress. It just felt so different wearing that one.
    Sorry I'm not much help lol good luck with the search I'm sure you will be stunning in whichever dress you choose!!
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So I went to 3 stores before I found the dress I loved. However I did look at 3 more stores after that to make sure this was the dress I absolutely wanted. 6 stores = tons of dresses! I started dress shopping really early on, and so I had tons of time to look around!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics