Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

How long did it take to get used to the word fiancé/fiancée?

Joey, on May 2, 2018 at 09:00 Posted in Before the wedding 0 18

Once the question is popped and accepted you and your partner get a new title - fiancé or fiancée. But this can sometimes take some time to adjust to. How long did it take to get used to saying and hearing the word fiancé or fiancée?

How long did it take to get used to the word fiancé/fiancée? 1

Photo by Finlay Burrage in Delta BC

18 Comments

Latest activity by Rachael, on May 29, 2018 at 15:52
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It didn't take my fiancé and I long to get used to it as we enjoyed playfully referring to each other as just that for a month or two after our engagement (and still do), but it does feel strange saying it to others sometimes!

• Nikki
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Nikki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hahah yes I feel so pretentious!!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It didn’t take me very long! But, about a month ago, after being engaged for 6 months I called him my boyfriend again! Haha. He heard it and got fake upset. Then, a couple days later h called me his girlfriend. Not sure if it was accidental or as payback!
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it took me a couple of weeks.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't really know when it became a normal, natural thing, but we're six months into our engagement and it feels very normal now.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not long as its a natural feeling to makes your partner feel good.
  • Charlene
    Curious May 2018 Ontario
    Charlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A couple weeks
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have been together so long (9 years) so we call eachother husband/wife. We have for years now. People at his work were shocked when he told them we were engaged, because he always refers to me as his wife. Lol. If we are arguing I say “quit acting like such a fiancée!” Then we laugh. It’s just a silly word to us
  • Charmaine
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Charmaine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Took me about a couple of weeks to get used to saying it. Then it just felt right and said it without a second thought.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel myself needing to prepare to say it in conversations, reminding myself... I guess my weird vibe was that I always feel a little show-off-y saying "my fiance"....

I love it though. Use it all the time. If I'm on important phone calls/dealing with businesses, I refer to him as my husband so they'll take him/us more seriously, haha.

My fiance never had to adjust. I will never be girlfriend, fiancee, or wife (well, sometimes wife)... because he calls me "his woman"... (tradesmen talk).

• Jen889
    Devoted May 2018 Quebec
    Jen889 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're getting married in 16 days, engaged for 10months. Never really used it. Neither has he. Never felt natural lol husband is much easier for the few times I've used it.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't like the way the word 'Fiancé' sounds in English. Feels/sounds pretentious and it reminds too much of that Seinfeld episode.

910fe585442d016b78c34487e7730abf--seinfe

I just call him either my boyfriend or my husband depending on the situation.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I still get all smiley when I say fiance! I love to drop it any chance I get hahah! I have slipped up a few times but usually catch myself

We say it to each other a lot and it's just so much fun!

Can't wait to be wifey and hubby though!

• Natalee
    Curious October 2018 Ontario
    Natalee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I find it easier as we are a gay couple. That way I can talk about her and not get disapproving looks from customers who don’t need to know my real business. It’s sad really. Oh well. What fun to have a fiancé!!!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My fiance does that now lol
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He got right into it, he never called me "girlfriend" accidentally. I would slip up all the time! Maybe every other time I'd say boyfriend for the first couple months lol
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It'll take me a bit longer to get used to calling him my husband...he's almost more than comfortable calling me his wife...even though we're not married yet! hahahahah
  • Amber
    Devoted September 2018 Alberta
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am still getting used to it and we have been engaged for almost a year. FH just skipped the whole step and started calling me his wife to some people lol.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics