Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

How long before the wedding did you get used to saying “fiancé(e)”?

Joey, on March 19, 2018 at 07:48 Posted in Before the wedding 0 26

We're once again talking about wedding planning timelines - compare your timeline with us and share your advice with those who are still crossing items off their to-do lists.

It seems like just as soon as you get used to saying "fiancé(e)" it's time to start saying spouse! When did you get used to calling your intended your fiancé(e)?

How long before the wedding did you get used to saying “fiancé(e)”? 1

Photo by Liight Photography in Toronto

>> Click here to go to the next question, How long before the wedding did you have your first bridezilla/groomzilla moment?

26 Comments

Latest activity by Jessie, on June 19, 2018 at 14:20
  • Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I got used to it right away and I don't forget but my FH always calls me his girfriend still.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH started saying it almost immediately but it's even about 4 months and I still struggle.

• Jocelyn
    Beginner April 2020 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Neither of us use it very often. We have been calling each other husband and wife for about a year since we are common law. Sometimes, he will correct me when I call him boyfriend.

• Janine
    Curious June 2018 Ontario
    Janine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am still slipping up, only because I waited till I had a ring on my finger before I started saying it so people didn't think I was being crazy. We have been planning our wedding slowly and quietly between the two of us since January last year, but my fiance didn't officially purpose until January of this year, which was 4 months after we booked our venue.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Right away!! We really hammed it up over the holidays, saying to each other when we said literally anything.... Now we have calmed down quite a bit.

I am still getting used to saying "my fiance" when referring to him to strangers... honestly I usually just refer to him as my husband, because it's regarding appointments or something (we are common law already).

He has called me "his woman" for most of the time we have been together (he's in trades, they all call us their women or old ladies)... so he never had to transition from girlfriend to fiancee.

• Stacey
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Stacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We haven’t been engaged for a very long but hefit used to the whole idea of “fiancé” really quickly. I always mess up and say boyfriend and then fiancée. Either people can tell I’m getting used to it or they think I’ve got a boyfriend on the side! (Haha)
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It definitely felt weird to say at first I’d say it took a couple months to get used to for sure if not longer.
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It was odd for a few months after getting engaged (especially after 6 years & 11 months of dating!) eventually i started calling him my husband and he started calling me his wife (when we were sans family!) to get used to it-- the "husband & wife" part is still NOT hitting us just yet..hahaha

• Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’ve been engaged for 2 years and still have a year to go until the wedding and we’re both not used to saying “fiancé”. It just sounds weird for both of us. We also get A LOT of people who say things like “you don’t look old enough to have a fiancé” whenever we say it, so we still say bf/gf still, lol
  • April
    Frequent user September 2018 Saskatchewan
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’ve been engaged 8 months and will be married in 5 and it still sounds funny to say fiancé haha
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I never got used to it!! Smiley surprise

• Laura
    Frequent user October 2018 British Columbia
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He got used to it really quickly. It's been 4 months now and I still get a little thrill whenever one of us says it. Only 7 months to go so I'll probably get used to it right before I have to switch to husband.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We both got pretty used to it right away

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I got used to it pretty quickly. We’ve been engaged 6 months now and yesterday I accidentally called him my boyfriend again! Oops!
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Used it for about a yr, but after that used the term husband. FH has been referring me as his wife even before got engaged haha

• Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I used the term as soon as we got engaged

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't like using the word in English, because it sounds very pretentious (reminds me of that Seinfeld episode). That being said, when I'm speaking French with family/friends, I use it quite a bit.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I still don't like the word! I often say Partner versus Fiance.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It took me like a month, it only took him two weeks. I’ve got just under two years of being his fiancé so I’m enjoying it
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It took a few months to get used to it.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I got used to saying it probably 18 months before the wedding. It was really odd at first but now it sounds right lol.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This was pretty immediate for me lol, he is still getting used to it though
  • Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I still call him my boyfriend. We dated for almost 9 years before we got engaged, some habits are just hard to shake. I think it’ll be strange to call him my husband though. That might take some time.
  • Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I still refer to him as bf ...opps
    I think I only said fiancé twice.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think we both got used to it pretty quickly but still slipped up every once in a while.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He is instantly getting used to it and I still am not used to it! we went to an event this weekend and still said I am his girlfriend! and then would be like actually fiancé haha loving to say It just still getting used to it

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics