Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Patrycja
Newbie August 2022 Alberta

How is everyone booking vendors with all this unpredictability?

Patrycja, on December 13, 2020 at 15:35 Posted in Plan a wedding 2 13
We were supposed to have a 300 person wedding which I know likely won’t be a possibility august 2021. Now we’re hoping for a 100 person at least but I’m afraid of booking vendors such as flowers, decorations, favours for 100 people only to have a reception hall that is only allowed 50 people.

Seems risky to pay for these things with the intent of 100 people and potentially having an excess of items when the restrictions allow for only 50, or less.
Anyway, how have your experiences been when booking these vendors? Are they flexible and willing to adjust things on a whim if need be?

13 Comments

Latest activity by Alexis, on January 4, 2021 at 19:25
  • Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding venue isn’t asking us to start paying for our July wedding till April/May and we don’t have to pay for the dinner till we finalize the confirmation details. I think it’s better to book now than waiting. Straight up the winery our ceremony is at was the last Saturday available for 2021 and they only had two other available days. Every other winery in the area was booked up and that was in September 2020 that we did that
  • Krista
    Beginner June 2021 Alberta
    Krista ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have booked a lot of the bigger things like the venue, florist, photographer, decorators..

Our venue will refund, as well as the decorator. Our florist will hold the deposit and transfer to a new date if needed and we aren't required to pay the photographer until the week leading up to the wedding.. We are doing diy catering and our hairstylist is my aunt.

I am holding onto all positive vibes, that our wedding will still be able to take place as planned. We have already limited our guest list to under 60 right from the beginning.

• Ashley
    Beginner March 2022 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I haven’t officially booked anything yet, we are looking to book for 2022 but I will be asking all my vendors what they’re policies will be incase anything like that does happen. And if they won’t be willing to anything/put anything in the contract I think I’d look elsewhere. But I haven’t been put in that position yet so we’ll see what happens.
  • Ricardo
    Beginner October 2021 Ontario
    Ricardo ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

With my Decorator they agreed to adjust the final cost if COVID limits the attendance and my venue agreed to a full refund also

• Gioia
    Frequent user July 2021 Quebec
    Gioia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is in July 2021 and we have gone ahead and literally booked everything, I just booked my decor vendor and they are not even taking deposits due to Covid-19 so they can be as flexible as possible. Vendors are trying hard to make sure that they are there and flexible for whatever comes. I am also planning a huge wedding, 250-300 so I am hoping it will be possible by then, you never know, if we stay positive it could happen! Best of luck planning!
  • Anna
    Newbie July 2021 Ontario
    Anna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You are not alone 🥳
  • Patrycja
    Patrycja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks I feel reassured! I had no idea how far ahead flower orders can be adjusted without messing with the business
  • Patrycja
    Patrycja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Luckily we gave the big ticket items like banquet hall and entertainment booked but it’s nice to hear that some couples are still hoping for a bigger wedding like we are 😅
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Book your vendors still and venue and try to work deals with them take away or adjusting packages to your needs.
  • Anna
    Newbie July 2021 Ontario
    Anna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Patrycja!

We are getting married in July 2021. We are booking right now because, as I noticed, everything fills up very quickly. As long as there is a possibility of you moving the date because of the pandemic, you shouldn't have any issues. We already booked a photographer, unfortunately she is not available for the date of our ceremony but is available for the date of the reception. Our banquet hall had limited availability for dates as well, so book now as much as you can just ensure that they are flexible with postponing! Our wedding is 215 guests, and I am praying it works out! Good luck!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't buy favours until June when you have a better idea of how things will play out. They're pretty easy to acquire.

For other guest-number specific vendors like flowers and decor, you can ask for quotes for various numbers (ie 5 tables vs 10) and negotiate the understanding that the final number will come closer to the date. It's like food - you usually don't give specific numbers for meals to the caterer until 2-4 weeks out.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would still book your vendors and your venue if you can. Dates do fill up fast. You don't want to miss out on a certain date that you really want. MOST vendors and venues are very flexible right now with having to possibly move dates at a later time if it comes down to that. Make sure that there is a clause saying that you can change dates if needed at no extra cost and move your deposits with your new date.

My fiance and I postponed our August 8, 2020 wedding back in May to August 7 2021. All of our vendors and our venue were very understanding and moved to our new date with no hassle and headache free thank goodness since we're getting married in a different province then we live in Smiley smile

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't personally tried to book anything for 2021, but I think vendors are going to have to be flexible in 2021 if they want to survive. Given how difficult it is to plan anything right now I wouldn't want to work with a vendor that wasn't understanding and willing to be flexible.

Most vendors like florists or caterers don't even buy their materials until quite close to an event because they want maximum freshness, so they should be able to accommodate changes up until a certain point. Just make sure any contract you sign allows you flexibility in the number of people and in moving the date, whether that be a full refund upon cancellation or ability to move a deposit. Depending on the total amount involved and how much money is at stake you may also want to get a lawyer to look over your contracts for you before signing anything.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics