Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sheila
Beginner September 2020 Alberta

How far in advance did you mail invitations?

Sheila, on February 13, 2020 at 10:51 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11

Hi all!

Just looking for some feedback on timing to send invites. Our wedding is in September, and we sent Save the Dates back in November. I'd like to have good idea of who is coming sooner than later, but I understand that we can't send them too early. I know the "rule" is to send 6-8 weeks before, but that seems too last minute for me.

Am I just too antsy?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on February 18, 2020 at 16:47
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I dont agree with the rule. our wedding is aug and were sending ours out next month.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We sent ours out in July for our October 2019 wedding so 3 months beforehand. Anywhere between 3-6 months is acceptable for wedding invitations, I don't know of many who use the 6-8 week "rule"

• Natasha
    Devoted May 2021 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Actually the first thing we sent out was engagement party invites. I believe we sent them in April last year ... and party was in June of last year. We wanted to give people lots of notice not to book trips that weekend. Just before the party in May ( 1 year out exactly ) we sent our save the dates. This also prompted people who haven’t RSVPed yet for the engagement party to do so. I sent out my bridal shower invites end of December 2019 and the shower is end of this month ( Feb). My venue needed final numbers at the beginning of the month. We then sent out all out of country wedding invites a few days into January to give those guests more time to book flights and accommodation. First round of invites (alist) went out end of Jan and second round Was going to go out end of Feb but I got impatient / excited and sent them out last week after receiving a few RSVPs already. LOL. Our rsvp by date in April 16 exactly one month before our wedding which is May 16th 2020.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our venue didn't need the numbers until a week before the wedding, So I could have gotten away with sending them in August for our October wedding.

However, there are always going to be people that you have to chase. Better to have the RSVP's come back earlier than to scramble at the end.

I sent mine out the first week of July, and had September 1st as an RSVP date. This way I had a full month to gather numbers for the venue and chase people. And trust me, we chased people right up until a week before.

I think you would be safe to send them in June and have them due back the beginning of August. Many people send them back as soon as they get them, then this way you have a little over a month to chase people

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re sending ours 6 months out. We’re also allowing time for A and B lists to get enough time to respond
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

3 months time is good to send out the invitations since your guests received the save the dates. This will give ample to time to get your RSVP back 4-6 weeks time in advance for the final count to give vendors as needed.

I did send the invitations way early when we were getting married and the problem that incurred was that some of my family lost their invites somewhere along the way. They were asking to get a copy of it through WhatsApp. Just keep it cool and be patient to know everything is going well for you and on schedule.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is a "rule" I'm definitely breaking. Our wedding is on October 2 and our plan is to send them out in late May or early June. There are so many holidays and vacations during the summer that we wanted our guests to have a chance to respond and the mail man to have lots of time to deliver the invites.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh heck, don't worry about sending too early! I sent two rounds of invitations, first batch went out at the 6/5 month mark, and then the second batch was sent out at the 3 month mark so that I could have final numbers RSVP'd to me by 1 month before the wedding.

• Stefanie
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No you aren't antsy at all! We sent our Save the Dates in October and our invites the last week of January. Our wedding is August 15th but I had the same feeling as you. Plus if you have guests that live out of town, its always better to send them sooner because they have to make arrangements to travel. We have family that live in Holland and I didn't want them to have to make last minute flight plans.

It's also nice to send them out sooner in case you have a caterer for dinner. We wanted to give final numbers by the beginning of July, so we asked for people to RSVP by the end of May. That allows us a month for our families to call the people who didn't and ask if they are attending.

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'll be sending mine out at the end of April to first week of May somewhere, my wedding is at the end of July and the 6-8 week thing just makes me incredibly anxious. Plus my caterer wants a good idea of numbers by the end of June if possible.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey! I feel you, we did Save The Dates in December. And I am planning on sending our invites out in April - 6 months before the wedding. I know that this is super early, but I am impatient, I have them ready to go, and it is just something I can get done. I know from enough event planning that regardless of when the invites go out, most people will RSVP last minute anyway so I am just going to send them out there. We are also hoping that some people will RSVP no quickly so then we can move onto our B-List.

Anyway, through this whole wedding process, I have just said to myself to do what I want and not worry about all the etiquette and rules someone somewhere made up. So I would go for it when you want!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics