Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sonia
Beginner November 2020 Alberta

How early do you send out wedding invites?

Sonia, on May 18, 2019 at 23:52 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 14
I been asking so many questions! I don’t know how to plan a wedding thank goodness for this app and everyone in it.

My wedding day is July 11, 2020.

My fiancés family and friends are mostly out of town. All my family is in the city.

When do you send out wedding invites?

14 Comments

Latest activity by Tori, on May 21, 2019 at 16:25
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say that it depends on if you have a first and second batch/wave of invites. For my wedding we have a max. capacity of 250 at the venue but our guest list is longer (but with some family that we think won't come). Once we receive an RSVP no we will see about sending out a replacement invite - but if we don't get them fast then by the time of the RSVP deadline we will send out new invitations with a different RSVP deadline.

I have guests coming as far as 5 hours away (and some that are across Canada that I don't think will make it but we are still inviting) and we sent the first wave/batch out the end of May/ beginning of April at the 6 month mark. RSVP deadline is at the 4 month mark on July 5th. Then the next wave/batch will have an RSVP deadline of September 5th which is 1 month before the wedding. Perfect amount of time to get the seating chart all set up!

• Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding is in June 2020, I just ordered the invites last night and they should get here in early June. So I will start sending them out probably mid June which will be one year till our wedding.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would send out Save the Dates this July so out-of-town guests will have a heads up and can plan for time off next Summer.

Then you can send out invites 4 months before and hopefully everyone knows if they are coming or not.

• Amie
    Devoted August 2019 British Columbia
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you are stressed about wanting people to know your wedding date in advance, send out save the dates. My fiancé and I did that over a year in advance so people will aware. I live across the country from most of my family so in order for them to be able to plan accordingly and attend, I wanted to give them as much notice as possible. My wedding is on August 3 and I sent out my invites at the end of March. I’ve requested the RSVPs back for June 3.

• Stephanie
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are getting married July 18 2020.

We have sent out our save the dates already (we have out of province family and out of country family, so we wanted them to have a heads up in hopes they want to plan a 2020 trip home Smiley smile )

Our venue will need our guests meal options in advance so our invitations will most likely go out early spring.

That being said, I already have the invitation mostly designed, lol.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Since most of our guests are travelling from out of town we sent our invites out 6 months in advance to allow for everyone to have time to book their time off work as well as book their hotel. We also gave ourselves lots of time between our RSVP deadline and when we had to let the venue know final numbers because it took awhile to track down all the RSVPs.

Everyone does it based on their own schedule but 6-3 months before the wedding is average from what I hear

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is August 4, 2019. We sent our save the dates out in October 2018, and our invitations were sent out 2 weeks ago (beginning of May).

If you send out save the dates, then you don’t need to send out your invitations with all the details until you’re ready. Mind you, I wouldn’t send them out any later than 3 months prior since that gives you very little time to work on the seating chart (trust me, I should know lol).
  • Katherine
    Curious August 2019 Alberta
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is Aug 31 2019 (we just got engaged over Easter), and we still haven’t sent out invites haha. Still working the guest list!
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is June 6, 2020 and i just sent out my save the dates this week! i’ll be sending my
    invitations in December, six months before the wedding. i know this is longer than “typical”, but i know as a guest i would rather know sooner than later to plan my summer
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Invitations can be sent out 4 months ahead with 2 months RSVP date to get all the final count ready for vendors.

Save the dates as others has done can help to plan travels for out of town guests. This can be done 8 months prior to the wedding.

Room blocks can be reserved with the hotel you choose under your names and put on the invites.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is the week after yours!

im sending the save the dates out a year in advance and my invites are going to go out in late March/April.

we have to give our count to our venue a month before so that also affected when I’d send my invites out!
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As others have said, most people send invitations out 2-4 months before the wedding; however, you could send out save-the-dates much sooner to notify out-of-town guests (and guests in general so they can mark it on their calendars!)

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It really depends on how big your guest list is, and the amount of out of town people.
    I would say for your out of town guests to start sending out those save the dates first ( if you are sending some out). Plan to have them out by the beginning of August. And then the rest have out by the end.
    When it comes to invites work backwards from the date that your venue needs final numbers and give yourself some time to process all the RSVPs. So for example my venue needs final numbers the week before my wedding (September 27) and I have my RSVP date for September 1 to give me enough time to tally the numbers and work on a seating plan!
    Never feel like you ask too many questions! This is why we have this app and all the lovely ladies on it!
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Most people send them out about 2-3 months beforehand so people a) have an idea what their schedules look like, b) have time to make travel arrangements, and c) don't have as much time to forget about RSVP-ing. If you're doing Save The Dates, they can go out earlier - about 8-12 months before, which can be helpful for out-of-towners. My venue prefers people have their hotel rooms booked 2 months in advance so we're sending STD's at about the 9-10 month mark and invites out at about 3-4 months. Happy planning!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics