Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ariana
Newbie October 2021 Ontario

How do you decide?

Ariana, on February 9, 2020 at 07:38 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 17

I'm having trouble finding a dress I love and can see myself feeling comfortable in for the duration of the evening. How do you guys decide on what your dress will be?

17 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on May 15, 2020 at 01:18
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had my eye on a dress literally a week after I got engaged Christmas Morning 2017. Had seen it on a mannequin in a window of a bridal store. I hadn't even thought of dresses at this point and my wedding was still 2 and a half years away.

Fast forward a year later (January 2019) and the same bridal store had the same dress again in the window. I told my mom and MOH that this dress was calling my name. We went a week later to the store. I tried on probably 15 dresses before "that dress" and when I put on "that dress" I knew the minute I put it on, it was the one! Bought the dress that day!

I'm sure you'll find "the one" soon enough!

• Karlie
    Beginner May 2022 Ontario
    Karlie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went comfort over style and cost.

I went for something that can be worn again rather than wearing something that can only be worn for essentially 1 day only.

for 70$ I got a lovely white dress, crochet top with a skater style skirt so it is short, I didn't want anything long to be ruined or stepped on, and this is flattering to my short frame. Something that is easy to walk in, something that is comfortable, something that has room for me to shrink as I work on bettering my health towards the wedding. Also didn't want any gems or anything that could potentially catch on stuff and cause a hassle.

You can pair any dress with accessories that will make it more wedding-like, which is my plan. I have a $30 shawl on the way and $20 Ribbon for the waist, so $120 in total not including a Tiara headpiece but that would only bring it to $150, and that is sufficient for me, and also my husband and I are having a small elopement style wedding so there isn't really anyone I need to *impress* but regardless, comfort over style. You're not limited to looking in only bridal places. You never know what you'll find out there and it seems like you've got plenty of time if October 2021 is when the date is! Smiley smile Don't stress yourself. When the dress comes around, you'll know it.My stuff may not be as extravagant as many of the things you'll see with wedding dresses and stuff so perhaps my opinion is in the minority but here are some pictures. Have FUN! Smiley smile

Accessory Shawl - $30How do you decide? 1

Comfortable and nice, nothing too over the topHow do you decide? 2

Bow for midsectionHow do you decide? 3

TiaraHow do you decide? 4

• S
    Newbie September 2020 Manitoba
    Stasa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi!
    I went to four different stores. I tried anything that looked interesting on the rack. You eventually get a sense of what looks good on you. In the end I picked the dress style I know looks good on my body (experience I gained from other dresses I tried on over the years, and dresses that I bought). For instance, A line is a bit of struggle for me. My dress is a fit and flare, but it has a bodice type top. Lots of boning but this style is flattering on many types of bodies and it feels secure. The bottom is fit at the hips but then fans out (but not quite like a mermaid). Which means it should be easy to walk around in. My best advice is, try on lots of different things, and best of luck! 😊
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I kind of always had a vision of what I could see myself in when I pictured my wedding with FH. I found some dresses that matched that vision. Ended up with something slightly different, but pretty close. The dress was stunning, made everyone with me cry (and myself) and I could move around and be comfortable in it. There really was a "feeling" for the right one.

• Beatriz
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly I just picked the dress that I did not want to take off.... and made me cry when I put on the veil.... it was totally and emotional decision there

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I knew what I didn't like. I didn't want a big ball gown, didn't want lace, I wanted something simple but elegant. The dress I did find was almost 4 times my budget but we made it work by me being able to rent the dress rather than buying it. I'm super excited. It doesn't bother me to rent since I had no desire to keep the dress after.
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m very opinionated. I know what I like and don’t like. I went in with specific styles that I liked. So it was really easy for me. The first dress I didn’t like at all. I knew it wasn’t the one. The second dress I tried I fell in love with. Everything about it was so beautiful to me. The skirt, the embroidery, the way it felt on. Everyone commented how I was just beaming in it. And the dresses I tried after I wasn’t quite in love with even though they were nice.
  • Alanna
    Newbie October 2020 Ontario
    Alanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went to three different boutiques. I had my picture taken in each one I wore. I found it helpful to eliminate as you try them on. So if you continue to like the second dress, you’ll compare all the others to your favourite. If you try a dress that you like better, then replace it etc etc. That way you are only choosing between two dresses rather than 15 at the end. Pay attention to the way you feel in each dress. Have your bridal party observe your facial expressions and body language. Usually it’s hard for us to notice these things about ourselves! Once you find your top three or your favourites, try it with a veil. Then it becomes real and magical.
    I thought I found “the one.” I loved this dress but it wasn’t everything I wanted - something was missing. I found my dress at the last boutique. When I began searching for a dress, I thought I was going to love the mermaid style. I also thought the sweetheart neckline would be unflattering. Turns out, I loved the sweetheart neckline and I chose a big ballroom puffy dress. It has all the elements I loved.
    It helps to inquire about customizations within the boutiques you visit. They took the bodice of one dress and the skirt of another and are going to make it into a whole new one of a kind dress! Hope this was helpful! Good luck : )
  • W
    Newbie May 2020 Ontario
    Wanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I found. A dress thanks
  • M
    Frequent user August 2020 Ontario
    Msss ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I tried on different styles and kept an open mind. I became discouraged towards the end of my search but my bridal party were very supportive and offered to take me to a bridal salon I hadn't been to before. In the end, I loved three different dresses but ultimately chose the dress that I thought was not the "safe" option and is absolutely beautiful, incorporating the thing I love the most - a botanical yet elegant aesthetic. It is a comfortable sheath dress and I cannot wait for it to arrive.

• Hayley
    Curious May 2021 British Columbia
    Hayley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went in with an open mind. When I was a bridal stylist, 90% of my brides came in with an idea of what they wanted and left with something else.Set a price point and don't go over. Chances are you'll fall in love with one out of budget. Take photos form every angle and then look hrough them at home before deciding.

When I found a dress I loved, I went away and went back to try it on to see if I still felt the same the second time around. I ended up finding a different dress which was completely different to what I had envisioned that I love wearing everytime I have put it on. I did the sit test and had a little dance to see if I would be comfortable during dinner and throughout the night.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep trying on different styles of dresses!! i always wanted a ball gown and when i tried it on i was LIKE OMG I LOVE IT.

• Megan
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm the worst with decisions. I took pictures of all the dresses I liked and then over a few weeks decided I'd go with whatever I liked the most in pictures. I originally thought I'd want a sheath dress, but eventually decided on an A-Line so I didn't have to wear spanx.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just wore two dresses! First I wore my big ball gown for the ceremony and beginning of the reception, then changed into a short little dress that I had worn at my Bridal Shower so that I could actually move around in!

• Emily
    Beginner October 2022 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I knew I wanted a long train and my fiance is a foot taller then me so I had to make sure I could move my arms. I also had to have sleeves or straps so one of the girls don't pop out to say "hey" lol
    I went to 4 different stores and I think I've found it but honestly I was so over whelmed so I made an appointment to go back in a few weeks to try it again.
    My dress was one I looked over in the store and the associate pushed me to try on and I just loved it when I did.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Knowing what kind of wedding you want helps. Like if you know you want to dance all night you might not want anything too tight or heavy. Knowing your wedding style helps too, like a vintage lace dress might look out of place in a modern loft wedding.

I would recommend having an open mind and not saying no to trying things on. I thought I wanted sleeves and hadn't pinned a single princess dress. I hated every dress with sleeves (so itchy!) And my "almost" dress was a poufy aline I never would have tried on. My dress is backless and nothing I on my Pinterest board was backless. I've heard so many brides say the same thing, that the dress they picked was nothing like what they pictured.
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Have you chosen your venue yet? That can sometimes help to decide on the style of dress. I'm having an outdoor back yard wedding at the height of summer, so flowy and light were what I wanted and I knew I didn't want bling since it's just not my style. So think about your own style and think about your venue for inspiration. Also, I was having a hard time finding the look I was going for by looking at traditional style wedding dresses, so instead I started keeping an eye out at stores I frequently go to as well as online stores I love, and that's how I found mine.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics