Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tasha
Curious April 2019 Alberta

How do i choose a photographer?

Tasha, on May 31, 2018 at 15:32 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 10

This is the area that I'm really stressed about. My mum had a friend of the family do the photos and this friend ended up spilling a bottle of coke all over the negatives and my mum ended up with only a handful of pictures from her small wedding. Granted this was in '99 and photographers don't use film anymore, but I'm still paranoid about it!

I don't really know how to choose someone? I almost need a balance between quality and price? And then I have no idea how long I need to book them for. Don't know what to look for.

I'm lost and stressed, help!

10 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on June 2, 2018 at 23:33
  • B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s so cool!
  • B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If I were you, I’d get someone to do it professionally. We have an ex friend who did photos for us once, it’s been five years and we still don’t have our pictures. I totally trashed her “Business” professionally because she was so unreliable and unprofessional about it. She always came up with exuses. Needless to say, we are NOT using her for our wedding!!
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do you have any bridal shows coming up in your area? I found going to one of them and getting to talk to multiple vendors in the same day helped me SO MUCH!!! also we ended up winning a video package from on vendor so that's how we ended up choosing haha!!
  • Shelly
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Shelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Using a photographer who another friend used and loved is the best route to go because you already know their work and can ask your friend questions such as "did they respond quickly to emails" or "were they easy to get along with".

Remember, in most cases the photographer will be with you all day. Pick someone who you get along with, and who you won't be awkward getting ready in front of (if you're doing getting ready shots).

Also a lot of new photographers might be excited to do more experimental shots and forget to grab a picture of you and Grandma. Ask them how long they've been shooting weddings, what their style is like and if they are able to work from a shot list for some of your must have photos.

Make sure the person you choose takes a deposit to hold the date and gives you a contract to sign. This contract protects YOU and you're less likely to encounter a deadbeat vendor who won't show up on the actual day. Also a good thing to ask is if your photographer has insurance. Good ones usually will.
  • Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Just ignore my first post, my phone decided to be crazy and post it before I even had finished typing.

What helped us narrow it down we to compare the different cost of packages each photographers offered and the things included. We had a few meetings with a few of the top photographers we were interested in. What I learned was that it was important for me to be able to reprint my photos to any size anywhere.

Some photographers restrict print size and would rather sell Larger prints from their cost. Also it was important to consider the mark up value of having your photographer to put together your photo albums. It is easy to do it yourself online. I will get some good websites and post again. I’ve used photo book Canada and was happy with the books I created out there and there was groupons. I’m sure there are other websites out there.
  • Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It took us a long time to find one we liked. What hel
  • Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So much of it also will depend on your preferred style. If you ask to see samples of multiple weddings they have shot, you will get an idea of whether or not their style "speaks to you".

As you mentioned, also balancing that with your budget is of course important.

You will need to determine what photos are important to you to help determine time needed - do you want photos of you getting ready? Your FH getting ready? First dance and cake cutting? All of these things add to the time and potential cost, so it's important to know what is most important to you.

Always a good idea to know if you get prints, digital files, etc included in the quoted costs as well - or if you need to order any prints or additional items through the photographer as well.

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ask lots of questions! One of the most important questions I had for my photographer was whether or not they backed their photos up. Most photographers do nowadays to protect such a thing from happening, so I dont think you need to worry Smiley smile
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had seeked out a photographer searching on kijiji site who met us in the coffee shop and was just a great guy with a great personality. He had a package for one price only no taxes. We went with him only.

If concerned about how to know if thr photograher is right, look at a few factors:
    1. References of clients at least 3
    2. Look at the pictures and quality
    3. Inquire if the price would include a second photograher based on the package.
    4. Lastly, you will have to accommodate meals for them no matter what.
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It was a high stress point for me too. We found our photographer through a friend. We probably wouldn’t have seen them otherwise. We met for coffee and she was amazing. We loved her style and also personality and decided that she was what we wanted. Length of time all depends on what time you are having ceremony and then reception. We are having the ceremony at 3, so we booked for 8 hours. That way she can come at 1 for getting ready photos, then stay until 9 for reception stuff. We are also getting a second photographer through her so they can capture the first time we see eachother, guests etc.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics