Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Master July 2018 Alberta

How are your vows coming?

Stephanie, on October 28, 2018 at 01:56 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 11

Who's writing their own vows? Have you started yet? How many drafts until you feel you perfected them?

Are you staying serious or including some humour?

Are you letting anyone else read them?

Are you going to memorize them or read them off?

My husband and I had opted for more traditional vows, so I'm curious about the process of writing your own!

11 Comments

Latest activity by Alexis, on November 2, 2018 at 11:51
  • Alexis
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We wrote our own, but both went with a mix of funny and sentimental realistic vows. We tried to stay true to ourselves, and the things we promise to do and work on in our marriage. I cried, my husband and I, and our guests laughed, it was perfect!
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are writing our own vows. It’s one thing my fiancé really really wanted. I’m terrified about it 😳. I just have a feeling I’m gonna cry during mine. And I know he’s going to make me cry.

I need to start thinking of mine. Just 2 months to go. I’m torn about getting really sentimental cause that’s what is going to make me tear up. But I know he will be cause he’s a softy like that.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My officiant will pretty much do whatever we want for vows... My FH doesn't want to write/read his own (nervous), so we'll do more personalized repeat-after-me's...

I really wanted personalized vows, and I'm hoping my FH may crumble at the final hour and agree to do them... but I'm not expecting it.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sadly we will not be writing our own vows but I will probably make some references as to why I love him just off the top of my head Smiley smile

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My vows are finalized. the FH does not have his vows done yet. I did 3 drafts. First, I collected questions, quotes and ideas, then I put together a skeleton outline, and then I filled it in. I had a couple people take a look at it (girls I met through this site) and made one small change.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    FH doesn’t want to say personalized vows, therefore we’re going to go with what our officiant has (which we don’t have yet).
  • K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We wrote the ceremony and our vows with help from Google (piecing together and re-wording various things we liked or gave us inspiration). We read the vows we wrote from an index card, although I tried to memorize them to a degree so I was able to look up at my groom more than just having my eyes glued to the card the whole time. Kept them fairly traditional and no, no one else was allowed to see them! (it was almost a disappointment that I had to show them to my groom first rather than surprising him at the ceremony (we said the same set of vows to each other so he had to see and approve them!)

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We won’t be writing our own vows as both of us only want to worry about writing one thing ( our thank you speeches), but we will be writing our own “ repeat after me” and customizing our ceremony.
    We have gone through what we think we may want ( I would consider this draft 1). After Christmas we will go through and make sure we still like the flow and everything included. And then leave it for a couple months before finalizing everything
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We like the idea of writing our own vows and have talked a bit about it, but we might end up customizing other parts of the ceremony instead.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We'll be doing personalized "repeat after me" vows since my FH isn't a big talker. We'll have some humour in there since our whole relationship and us is about not being 100% serious all the time.

We'll be working with our officiant to come up with our vows and ceremony structure - we have our first meeting with her next week!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Qe are getting married in the catholic church so I BELIEVE we will need to stick to traditional vows during the ceremony? I'm not 100% sure tbh! Either way I am writing my own personal vows (serious and funny) that I will either give to him personally or during the reception in our speech!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics