Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jennifer
Frequent user August 2021 Ontario

How are you sending your invites during Covid?

Jennifer, on January 14, 2021 at 10:57 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12
Wondering what everyone else is planning to do during Covid for sending out invites?

We’ve decided to send out invites to our “must-have 50” guest list early. We’ll have to wait & see if we can invite more or need to reduce. This kind of left me wondering how to order my invitations!
As an artist, I felt like it was really important to do a beautiful invitation to get our guests excited about a big event to look forward to. I also wanted to have a hard copy for ourselves to hold onto. However, trying to figure out how many to order is pretty complicated during Covid!
I reached out to my friend Aileen (Plume Calligraphy) and she’s doing “digital suites” for a better rate which brides & grooms are emailing out. I thought this was perfect!
Just wanted to share in case anyone else is having this dilemma as well. We originally didn’t have any money in the budget for fancy invitations but now that our guest list has been reduced by 2/3’s, this is now a non-issue for budget.

How are you sending your invites during Covid? 1How are you sending your invites during Covid? 2

12 Comments

Latest activity by Michelle, on January 25, 2021 at 16:23
  • Michelle
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Such a good idea! My partner and I were always going to go digital as well to stay in budget for our small celebration. Plus it's easier to just send non-tech-savvy relatives a direct link to the wedding website so they can RSVP.
    Budget aside, we thought it was smart to stay digital in case things with COVID get worse and we have to do a Change the Date - so much easier to communicate through a nice graphic and email rather than having to send out mail to everyone every single time something changes. Your idea of doing the invite up for a fancy shoot and then sending that out is fantastic Smiley laugh

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As an artist, the digital invites look gorgeous! Its not for every couple to go digital as some cousins did for their wedding invitations that way to save money and check the information out fully. The flowers do give your wedding layout a nice arrangement of what could be the vision for the day.

I personally did go paper wise so that I did save on Vistaprint for all the invitations and stationary to order to make them as we do in Indian Culture.

• Sabrina
    Curious July 2022 Ontario
    Sabrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sorry, to add to my last entry, we are waiting to see what our venue will for sure accommodate and then send out our invites. Our 2nd deposit is due May 31st so around mid-May we'll make a decision to either continue with the wedding or postpone. If we continue with a wedding this year, we will send out the invites by the end of May, with an RSVP cut off for July 1st (to give us extra time to call people, confirm orders with vendors etc)
  • Sabrina
    Curious July 2022 Ontario
    Sabrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did our save the dates through paperless post and will have our invites printed from either vista print or shutterfly and then have our guests confirm their attendance through our wedding website to save money. I do like that someone mentioned a rush order. The reason we chose not to go that route (I did consider it) was because 90% of invites will be thrown out and we would rather allot that money elsewhere. With that said, custom cards are beautiful and you as an artist would make it more personable. Due to uncertainties, I would still make enough for every household getting one so you aren't stressed at the end of guest counts are increased.
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So we already ordered our invites in Feb of 2019 LOL.. Got them, but our invite lady is working with us and going to make new ones...we'll just be paying for the cost of materials.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our plan is to wait until the last minute to order our invitations. To me the added cost of a rush order is worth saving the stress of worrying about needing to reorder if details change.

I'm more worried about my mother telling people they're invited and the potential that feelings will be hurt if we can't have a lot of guests. She has already promised a few more aunts and uncles that I would like...
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh I’m sorry! Yes that is certainly good advice for others. I know my fiancé wasn’t as keen initially on doing something so custom for a wedding invite, but it’s a weirdly sentimental piece for me.

It’s nice to have options these days at least for invites! I can’t imagine 30 years ago when everything was still postage based!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Blah, I should've explained better that the advice was more for others looking for ways to save on printing invitations (especially those who had to make a second round due to covid postponements). But what you're doing is also definitely really cool.

• Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We’re just doing the deckled (handmade paper edges) and gold embossing with calligraphy for the 1 original. We’re not actually printing or shipping anything in quantity. We’re taking a beautiful styled photograph (with surrounding flowers & stuff) of that invite and emailing that photo to our guests.

We are more interested in the aesthetic and supporting small businesses and friends right now than saving money.
    We also agree that mailing physical invitations is not preferable. So much work!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh no, I understood. What I mean is, if you didn't plan to have frills on your invitations (like extra glued layers of parchment paper, or special beads and flashy glitter frames, embroidery, etc) and you're able to fully design the invitation in Photoshop or something, going to a printer and printing them as a postcard would save you a ton more than to use Vistaprint or some other specialty wedding invite printer.

• Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh I think you may have misunderstood what we’re doing. We are getting 1 hard copy custom made and then doing a nice photo shoot.

We’ll be sending out a digital invite with that photo, so it still has the feel of a traditional invite but is sent out via email. Does that make sense?
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally, we were never going to send out paper invites even pre-covid. It wasn't even a cost factor, we just didn't want to burden our guests with paper. With digital invites, we already have their contact info so no need to wait for them to RSVP, we can send our regular reminders, and keep everyone informed all one go. And if we get sick of our creative, we can easily redo it at no cost.

Oh, a suggestion if your invitations don't have any special layering or textures would be to print postcards. A typical 4x6 postcard has a standard envelope you can buy at any stationary store. Most local printers can bulk print double sided postcards in the hundreds for cheaper than a standard set of wedding invitations. You can even choose between glossy or matte.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics